Author Topic: Turning up the heat at Tigerland - Wallace  (Read 2893 times)

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
Turning up the heat at Tigerland - Wallace
« on: January 28, 2005, 05:22:02 PM »
Turning up the heat at Tigerland
2:40:56 PM Fri 28 January, 2005
Richmond coach Terry Wallace
richmondfc.com.au

As January comes to a close, we are now only a few weeks away from our first Wizard Cup hit-out against Collingwood at the Telstra Dome on February 18. It has been a long, hard summer of training down at Punt Road and those close to the inner sanctum have seen many changes in personnel, facilities, training regime and game style, which will all be put on display in the Wizard Cup.

What’s the club’s philosophy leading into the pre-season competition? Well, that’s simple. Every time we go out to compete we want to put our best foot forward and be super competitive in our efforts.

With a very young squad (nearly half of the playing list being under 21 years of age), we will not always get the result we are looking for. We have, however, set ourselves some clear objectives for improvement and a young team should learn and improve from every outing.

If players are fit and available, they will be played throughout the pre-season competition, but no risks will be taken as our eyes must be firmly fixed on our Round 1 clash with Geelong on Easter Sunday. The Wizard Cup also is a great opportunity to have a look at some younger players to see whether they are capable of handling the pressure of elite professional football.

For those Tiger fans who have not been able to get down to watch training over the summer months, I thought I would give you a brief on what takes place in a normal week . . .

Full-time football is exactly that in the year 2005 with most players expected to go through 2-3 training sessions per day, six days a week. The most difficult part of summer training is getting your body accustomed to working extremely hard in one session and then stepping up again either later that day or first thing the next morning.

The football component of our training has lifted over summer. Players now have three major football training sessions per week, plus an extra few skill-related sessions to hone certain aspects of their game.

The weights room in summer is always a key component and all players are expected to do at least three sessions per week with the younger players, who need development in their bodies, participating in four sessions per week. These sessions are conducted both at the Club, and also at Space Gymnasium in Richmond, which has magnificent facilities. It’s been a real bonus that we’ve been able to use this gymnasium and we thank the management and staff, who have assisted enormously in our weights program.

At this time of year the players are under the watchful eye of our strength and conditioning staff in Matt Hornsby and Warren Kofoed. These two have designed the program around my expectations of what is required to play at the elite level. The program, both in the gym and on the track with the running sessions, has changed from endurance-based to one of strength and power.

Gone are the days of one-paced, 10-kilometre runs as today’s AFL footballers need to be able to work explosively with repeated efforts over shorter distances. They are still endurance-based, but all sessions are now based around the game-day expectations of repeat efforts. Much of our running component is actually done within the regular football training work. I firmly believe in the philosophy, “train as you play”.

Cross-training is now a major part of an AFL footballer’s life and players need to be able to swim, ride, box and row to be able to get maximum output from each session. The cross-training sessions, under the watchful eye of John Vickery, have been super-intense and fairly heated at times with players exchanging blows in the boxing ring. These sessions are specifically designed to test the mental toughness of the players while they are under physical duress. Extra swim sessions, yoga, massage and, in particular, hours upon hours of lectures refining team rules, match-day instructions and game style, now make up an AFL player’s life, in preparation for each league season.

It may sound like a strange statement, but our team is confident and clearly looking forward to the upcoming season. We are keen to show off our new style of play and team structure. Much has changed in a short time and we are hoping that this will be evident to all Richmond supporters.

Next week we head off to Mildura as part of the AFL’s Community Camps and the entire squad will involve itself in all aspects of rural life in the Sunraysia area, covering coaching clinics, hospital visits and community work over four days.

The following week, on Wednesday, February 9, we will have an intra-club practice match at Victoria Park at 11am as a lead-up to the Collingwood Wizard Cup opener. We look forward to seeing our supporters then, even though we realise it is a difficult time in the middle of the day.

For those who love their footy as much as we do, the wait is almost over and I, like you, can’t wait to see the boys in Yellow and Black in action.

We really appreciate all of your support for one of the true giants of the competition. It is all of our responsibilities at Tigerland to wake up this sleeping giant . . .

http://richmondfc.com.au/default.asp?pg=news&spg=display&articleid=183591
All you touch and all you see is all your life will ever be - Pink Floyd

Offline Rodgerramjet

• OER - CONTRIBUTOR
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Never cast pearls before swine.
Re: Turning up the heat at Tigerland - Wallace
« Reply #1 on: January 28, 2005, 07:23:15 PM »
It is all of our responsibilities at Tigerland to wake up this sleeping giant . . .

http://richmondfc.com.au/default.asp?pg=news&spg=display&articleid=183591

This line gave me goose bumps  :thumbsup
The lips of Wisdom are closed, except to the ears of Understanding.

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
« Reply #2 on: January 28, 2005, 09:38:02 PM »
Every time we go out to compete we want to put our best foot forward and be super competitive in our efforts.

Thankfully no more "grinding out 4 quarters" statements from a Richmond coach  :-X

The weights room in summer is always a key component and all players are expected to do at least three sessions per week with the younger players, who need development in their bodies, participating in four sessions per week  :thumbsup. These sessions are conducted both at the Club, and also at Space Gymnasium in Richmond, which has magnificent facilities. It’s been a real bonus that we’ve been able to use this gymnasium and we thank the management and staff, who have assisted enormously in our weights program.

Good to see the young blokes are encouraged to beef up. Is this a long term deal (sponsorship?) with this gym or will we need to boost the gym facilities at Punt Road again in the near future?

It may sound like a strange statement, but our team is confident and clearly looking forward to the upcoming season. We are keen to show off our new style of play and team structure. Much has changed in a short time and we are hoping that this will be evident to all Richmond supporters.

Amazing what a positive outlook and attitude from a new coach can do around a footy club.

The following week, on Wednesday, February 9, we will have an intra-club practice match at Victoria Park at 11am as a lead-up to the Collingwood Wizard Cup opener.

Preferred it when the intra-club was at Princess Park like the past few years as it was just up the road from work.

Is anyone else going?

Offline WilliamPowell

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Better to ignore a fool than encourage one
    • One Eyed Richmond
« Reply #3 on: January 29, 2005, 08:12:57 PM »
Good to see the young blokes are encouraged to beef up. Is this a long term deal (sponsorship?) with this gym or will we need to boost the gym facilities at Punt Road again in the near future?

2nd year they've been with us - I think in 2004 members were entitled to discounts at Space as well

The following week, on Wednesday, February 9, we will have an intra-club practice match at Victoria Park at 11am as a lead-up to the Collingwood Wizard Cup opener.

:'( :'( :'( I start my next lot of holidays on Friday the 11th February - planned it that way thinking there was a good chance of a practice match the week before the Wizz Fizz Cup :-\. Oh well - attending training will have to do :thumbsup

I think the reason they are using Victoria Park (aka dilapidated stadium) is because it is cheaper (you have to pay to use these grounds) than Princess Park.

Dilapidated Stadium is like Princess Park in that they don't play cricket there in summer anymore unlike Punt Road - the centre square area of Punt Road is too hard for practice patches.

That's the reason Coburg Footy Club, Richmond and Essendon are pushing the Moreland council so hard to move Coburg Cricket Club off Coburg Oval - we could train at Coburg for practically no cost :thumbsup. Believe it or not but Essendon is in the same boat as us - training at Windy Hill is limited because of cricket
"Oh yes I am a dreamer, I still see us flying high!"

from the song "Don't Walk Away" by Pat Benatar 1988 (Wide Awake In Dreamland)

Life goes on

« Reply #4 on: January 29, 2005, 08:20:12 PM »
AFL Rule states that the only teams are alllowed to have practice games before pre season comp. those being Essendon Vs Swans and the Dogs in Alice Springs or wherever, for promotional reasons only.
 No other clubs are allowed to have practise matches before round 1 of wizard cup.

Offline WilliamPowell

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One Eyed Richmond
« Reply #5 on: January 29, 2005, 08:35:35 PM »
AFL Rule states that the only teams are alllowed to have practice games before pre season comp. those being Essendon Vs Swans and the Dogs in Alice Springs or wherever, for promotional reasons only.
 No other clubs are allowed to have practise matches before round 1 of wizard cup.

But Life - they're allowed to have "intra-club" pracitce matches before the Wizz Fizz Cup - and that's what's happening on Wednesday Jan 9th - :'( :'( 2 days before my hoildays (Oh and they are having an intra-club hit out in Mildura next week)

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
« Reply #6 on: January 31, 2005, 04:24:17 PM »
:'( :'( :'( I start my next lot of holidays on Friday the 11th February - planned it that way thinking there was a good chance of a practice match the week before the Wizz Fizz Cup :-\.

The past few years it has been on a Friday arvo. Maybe the pushed it forward to gives the boys plenty of rest before our Wiz Cup game on following Friday.

That's the reason Coburg Footy Club, Richmond and Essendon are pushing the Moreland council so hard to move Coburg Cricket Club off Coburg Oval - we could train at Coburg for practically no cost :thumbsup. Believe it or not but Essendon is in the same boat as us - training at Windy Hill is limited because of cricket

This has been dragging on for quite a while hasn't it  ??? Then again we're talking about dealing with a local council  :banghead.

Offline Fishfinger

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • You can't put brains in an idiot
« Reply #7 on: January 31, 2005, 04:46:20 PM »

Is anyone else going?
I intend going MT.
The training reports around the place are great but I'd rather attend intra-club or practice matches.

Last time I went to Vic Park I was about 14 and we beat the Skunks. After that game I was one of several Richmond supporters pushed back onto the platform as the train started to move. :D

I've heard that Coburg are playing a practice match against Williamstown on Friday Feb 18 at the Lexus Centre. (11am)
« Last Edit: January 31, 2005, 04:47:52 PM by Fishfinger »
It's 50 of one and half a dozen of the other - Don Scott

Offline WilliamPowell

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One Eyed Richmond
« Reply #8 on: January 31, 2005, 04:56:44 PM »
I've heard that Coburg are playing a practice match against Williamstown on Friday Feb 18 at the Lexus Centre. (11am)

:o :gobdrop :o looks like the Burgers are getting to play on a better practice match ground than the Tigers. I think I might twaddle off down and have a look - a double dose of footy on the 18th  :thumbsup

I parked near the Lexus centre when I went to the Tennis the other week - that training ground (Rob Rose oval or whatever they ended up calling it :-\) looks very impressive - only thing that hurts that whole precinct is the old Olympic Park (where the Storm play) what an eyesore :help

Bulluss

« Reply #9 on: January 31, 2005, 07:29:34 PM »
Then again we're talking about dealing with a local council  .

As a Local Council Employee, i take offense to that MT!!

We work hard at council, while we enjoy a RDO every 2 weeks, long lunch breaks, sitting outside having a chat and a coffee, going down to the shops to pick up a few things, going for a drive to listen to the cricket, dropping into a friends place while the cricket is on to watch it.

Wow, looking at all those "Work activities :shh" i dont know how i survive ;D

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
« Reply #10 on: February 01, 2005, 02:47:41 PM »
Then again we're talking about dealing with a local council  .

As a Local Council Employee, i take offense to that MT!!

We work hard at council, while we enjoy a RDO every 2 weeks, long lunch breaks, sitting outside having a chat and a coffee, going down to the shops to pick up a few things, going for a drive to listen to the cricket, dropping into a friends place while the cricket is on to watch it.

Wow, looking at all those "Work activities :shh" i dont know how i survive ;D

:rollin

I remember going to one of these permit meetings where they have three councillers and a council townplanner who are all meant to be independent judges b/w the developer and people against or want some alterations towards a development. The developer had forgotten to submit a number of details (shadow diagrams etc) but the townplanner said not to worry as she had done it all for him  :o. Not surprisingly she was recommending the proposal. Add to that one the three councillers was asked by someone from the meeting before us for a chat outside. He missed everything that was said yet came back at the end sat down and said based on what's been said he was passing the proposal. It was a kangaroo court  :help. At least it went onto VCAT where proper procedures were finally followed.     

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
Vic Park question
« Reply #11 on: February 07, 2005, 04:09:36 AM »
Is anyone else going?

A question probably fwoy or BK would know about Vic Park in its current crappy state lol.

Where's the entrance now or can you get in from anywhere? I haven't been there in 15 years!

Offline Fishfinger

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • You can't put brains in an idiot
« Reply #12 on: February 07, 2005, 04:33:06 PM »
I'll be looking for the tradesman's entrance MT. 8) ;D
Things at Collingwood are generally done through there.

It's 50 of one and half a dozen of the other - Don Scott

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
« Reply #13 on: February 07, 2005, 07:03:59 PM »
I'll be looking for the tradesman's entrance MT. 8) ;D
Things at Collingwood are generally done through there.

:rollin  :rollin  :rollin  :lol 

Classic FF :bow