Author Topic: Backline worries for Tigers (afl)  (Read 1519 times)

Online one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
Backline worries for Tigers (afl)
« on: April 05, 2011, 05:26:04 PM »
Backline worries for Tigers
By Jason Phelan
Tue 05 Apr, 2011

RICHMOND will enter Saturday night's clash against Hawthorn without a host of first-choice defenders, but Brett Deledio is confident the Tigers have the depth to come away with the premiership points.

Imposing tall forwards Lance Franklin and Jarryd Roughead await Deledio's side at the MCG with the Tigers needing to find a way to limit their influence without key back men Luke McGuane, Alex Rance and Kel Moore.

Moore continues to be hampered by a hip complaint while McGuane received a two-game ban for his bump on Farren Ray at the weekend and Rance copped a three-game stint on the sidelines for a high bump on Jarrad Waite in round one.

"It's disappointing. Alex Rance was playing some good footy and so was Luke McGuane, but I guess that just gives an opportunity to Will Thursfield, Dylan Grimes or David Gourdis to step up and make the most of an opportunity," Deledio said from the ME Bank Centre at Punt Road on Tuesday.

"They've all shown they can play on the key forwards.

"We've got our structures in place and the guys are expected to know what they are. They should be able to slot straight in and be able to perform."

While coach Damien Hardwick has some important decisions to make on his backline, he won't need to worry quite so much about the other end of the ground where Jack Riewoldt will be fit to return after his much-talked about concussion.

"He's full of beans," Deledio said of the full forward, who was knocked out in the first quarter against St Kilda on Friday night.

"It's good to see him back out there, training loud and enjoying it."

Deledio won rave reviews for his negating role on Saints' playmaker Brendon Goddard in the thrilling draw, but he was unsure whether a similar task, perhaps on Hawks' skipper Luke Hodge, was in store for him this week.

After pushing Carlton in round one and sharing the points with St Kilda last week, Deledio said it was high time the Tigers sang the club song on the back of their first win of the season.

"Two weeks in a row now, we've been pretty close to winning, but I think that will come with experience," he said.

"I thought [the Hawks] were a bit unlucky against Adelaide. I watched them and they probably should have won that. They were very dominant in the second half last week, so they're a quality side and they play a strong structure. We'll have our work cut out for us this week.

"We just have to take the game on and make sure we work hard defensively."

http://www.afl.com.au/news/newsarticle/tabid/208/newsid/110902/default.aspx

Offline WA Tiger

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • For We're From Tigerland
Re: Backline worries for Tigers (afl)
« Reply #1 on: April 05, 2011, 09:29:47 PM »
No truer words could be said than that last sentence....

"We just have to take the game on and make sure we work hard defensively."

DIMMA - You will be held ACCOUNTABLE...

“We are really excited about what we have brought in. We have got great depth of players that can take us where we need to go. We are just putting some cream on the top at the moment,” he said.

"Rucks:
Shaun Hampson is the No.1 man"

Offline MADTIGER2010

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #2 on: April 05, 2011, 09:44:53 PM »
Thursty can cover Mcguanes loss and Astbury and Grimes can double team. Think we'll be fine

Online Siberian

• Premiership Captain
« Reply #3 on: April 05, 2011, 10:24:48 PM »
wet weather may prevent their big forwards having a big impact

Hellenic Tiger

« Reply #4 on: April 05, 2011, 10:31:54 PM »

According to the weather forecast will get windy on Saturday during the day and possible showers at night.

We seem to play well in the wet, memo Carlton game in Round 1 and early in the last quarter last week.

I'm hoping for a deluge. :pray

tony_montana

« Reply #5 on: April 05, 2011, 10:35:09 PM »

According to the weather forecast will get windy on Saturday during the day and possible showers at night.

We seem to play well in the wet, memo Carlton game in Round 1 and early in the last quarter last week.

I'm hoping for a deluge. :pray

amen

need rain

Online Siberian

• Premiership Captain
« Reply #6 on: April 05, 2011, 10:53:02 PM »
Tuck the mud duck! must play in the wet

the claw

« Reply #7 on: April 05, 2011, 11:11:02 PM »
not as if we dont have midfield forward and quality worries as well. why focus on the backline.

Hellenic Tiger

« Reply #8 on: April 05, 2011, 11:48:45 PM »
not as if we dont have midfield forward and quality worries as well. why focus on the backline.

Well those smalls you talk about in such esteem can't play in the backline.

Offline Loui Tufga

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Beaver BLT
« Reply #9 on: April 06, 2011, 10:58:06 AM »

Why......Because the backline is more depleted now than it should be! there isn't much depth playing in the reserves thus the focus on it this week and no doubt next.
Not sure what you want to do with our mid field and forward line, I would have thought we are playing those areas at pretty much full strength?

Offline WA Tiger

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • For We're From Tigerland
« Reply #10 on: April 06, 2011, 06:40:45 PM »

I am very confused by your comments Claw, seriously. Our midfield wa brilliant last week (2 weeks into the season I might add), they racked up possessions, kicked goals and dominated the midfield from last years GF.... so I don't have a clue what you mean there.

Forward worries, well yes we do when our FF is knocked out 5 minutes into the first qtr, but in general, no we dont and if so how?? We have Morton who is due to get going soon. Helbig..one game, our midfielders, King, Griffiths is injured, Miller as a back up and we haven't used him yet....not that bad to me.

Our backline has Rance, McGuane and Moore out, now that is 3 of our best backline players out and the rest other than Newman are youth we are bringing through, so again I am confused????
DIMMA - You will be held ACCOUNTABLE...

“We are really excited about what we have brought in. We have got great depth of players that can take us where we need to go. We are just putting some cream on the top at the moment,” he said.

"Rucks:
Shaun Hampson is the No.1 man"