Author Topic: Tigers vs Pies game thread  (Read 9154 times)

Offline dizza

• Premiership Captain
Re: Tigers vs Pies game thread
« Reply #105 on: April 16, 2011, 03:26:12 PM »
Edwards is just hopeless. Surely this was his last week in the team for some time. Another thing that worried me was how much Collingwood slaughtered us on the Southern Stand wing. they'd have 3 or 4 players out there with no man on them, and as such it was an easy passage for them to get the ball quickly from one end to the other.
Push up!

Offline RedanTiger

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #106 on: April 17, 2011, 01:02:44 AM »
Normally I'm one of the most critical about our performances but I was not too upset about this big loss.

Our poor players like Edwards, Graham, White, Thursfield and Nahas gifted Collingwood at least a couple of goals apiece thru bad mistakes.
They also cost us offensive scores either directly or by letting down teammates in link ups.
Our inexperienced kids like Grimes, Batchelor and Conca cost us a couple of goals thru rookie mistakes that are understandable.
We were missing a few of our more reliable players like McGuane and Moore. Tuck and Rance also.

I don't know whether Maxwell was fit or not, but if he was fit then Miller did a great job of keeping him busy and away from his usual third man up antics.
It was interesting that Shaw, O'Brien and Maxwell combined so poorly and gave them as little rebound as I've seen this year.     

jackstar is back again

« Reply #107 on: April 17, 2011, 06:43:27 AM »
The opposition paid Miller respect and everytime Miller did lead up, he was well checked., which drew the extra away from Jack.
interesting they didnt pay Vickery respect by having smaller option on him

Offline Penelope

• Internet nuffer and sooky jellyfish
  • RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #108 on: April 17, 2011, 07:51:12 AM »
Normally I'm one of the most critical about our performances but I was not too upset about this big loss.

Our poor players like Edwards, Graham, White, Thursfield and Nahas gifted Collingwood at least a couple of goals apiece thru bad mistakes.
They also cost us offensive scores either directly or by letting down teammates in link ups.
Our inexperienced kids like Grimes, Batchelor and Conca cost us a couple of goals thru rookie mistakes that are understandable.
We were missing a few of our more reliable players like McGuane and Moore. Tuck and Rance also.

I don't know whether Maxwell was fit or not, but if he was fit then Miller did a great job of keeping him busy and away from his usual third man up antics.
It was interesting that Shaw, O'Brien and Maxwell combined so poorly and gave them as little rebound as I've seen this year.     
Redan, you give White a negative wrap but then say how quiet shaw was. Didnt white play on shaw and kick a couple of goals himself?

No mention of Martins shocking turnovers early that cost us goals either?
“For My thoughts are not your thoughts,
Nor are your ways my ways,” says the Lord.

“For as the heavens are higher than the earth,
So are my ways higher than your ways,
And my thoughts than your thoughts."

Yahweh? or the great Clawski?

yaw rehto eht dellorcs ti fi daer ot reisae eb dluow tI

Offline Penelope

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #109 on: April 17, 2011, 07:55:51 AM »
The opposition paid Miller respect and everytime Miller did lead up, he was well checked., which drew the extra away from Jack.

Agree with you about Miller. As i posted earlier he gave us structure up forward that we have been sorely lacking. He is a hard working player who understands the structures. It's just a pity he cant win enough of the one on one contests he creates, but there doesn't seem to be anyone else putting their hand up to play this role at this time.

Online WilliamPowell

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Better to ignore a fool than encourage one
    • One Eyed Richmond
« Reply #110 on: April 17, 2011, 11:49:44 AM »

That's a good point you make Jack

In the last qtr Vickery was one out against a shorter opponent and didn't out mark, let alone out body him when he should have for memory Pies ended up clearing the ball very easily out of the defensive 50.

That one contest highlights what I see as the main problem with young Tyrone at times. He doesn't impose himself enough in contests. When he is up against a smaller bodied player he should win more than he looses IMHO
« Last Edit: April 17, 2011, 06:59:32 PM by WilliamPowell »
"Oh yes I am a dreamer, I still see us flying high!"

from the song "Don't Walk Away" by Pat Benatar 1988 (Wide Awake In Dreamland)

jackstar is back again

« Reply #111 on: April 17, 2011, 01:40:36 PM »

That's a good point you make Jack

In the last qtr Vickery was one out against a shorter opponent and didn't out mark, let alone out body him when he should have for memory Pies ended up clearing the ball very easily out of the defensive 50.

That one contest highlights what I see as the main problem with young Tyrone at times. He doesn't impose himself enough in contests. When he is up against a sammler body player he should win mor ethan he looses IMHO

and playing Miller demands respect, thus Maxwell goes to Miller

Offline RedanTiger

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #112 on: April 17, 2011, 06:51:50 PM »

Redan, you give White a negative wrap but then say how quiet shaw was. Didnt white play on shaw and kick a couple of goals himself?

No mention of Martins shocking turnovers early that cost us goals either?
[/quote]

al, read what I posted don't make it up. I didn't say Shaw was quiet.
I just checked the stats and as I thought:
White 13 disposals with 4 clangers
Shaw 20 disposals with 2 clangers.
IIRC Whites clangers, as with Martins, were very costly.
I agree with you that Martin made some terrible clangers that cost goals. IMO it was unusual to see such poor, costly errors from Dusty.
By comparison Jackson made 6 clangers but I would say that his errors were not as costly as the other two.

Offline Penelope

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #113 on: April 17, 2011, 08:07:40 PM »
Can you see how reading that I may have thought you were saying shaw (along with O'brien and Maxwell) had a quiet game?

Offline RedanTiger

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #114 on: April 17, 2011, 11:06:20 PM »
Can you see how reading that I may have thought you were saying shaw (along with O'brien and Maxwell) had a quiet game?

Yep, agreed.
Defensive forward is a really hard job to judge. Just felt Matty made a lot of costly errors.
No more than my opinion.

Offline tiger101

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #115 on: April 18, 2011, 05:27:22 PM »
COLLINGWOOD'S Chris Dawes could miss the Magpies' Anzac Day clash with Essendon after being offered a one-match suspension for striking Richmond youngster Reece Conca.

Dawes was cited by the match review panel for making what was deemed negligent and high contact with Conca during the second quarter of Collingwood's big win over the Tigers on Friday night.

The offence attracted only a reprimand, but because Dawes had carryover points on his record and he faces a suspension even if he lodges an early guilty plea.

http://www.afl.com.au/news/newsarticle/tabid/208/newsid/111943/default.aspx

Here's a video of the strike if you cant remember it.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NycO1ZSsN_U&feature=feedu

jackstar is back again

« Reply #116 on: April 18, 2011, 05:41:44 PM »
1 week, as it seems deliberate high contact

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #117 on: April 18, 2011, 05:42:25 PM »
Leigh Brown got off though  ::)

The match day report against Collingwood’s Leigh Brown for striking Richmond’s Reece Conca during the third quarter of Friday’s match was assessed. The panel said that Brown’s arm was held back by Richmond player Angus Graham as Conca was completing a mark, and Brown was attempting to reach the contest. It was the view of the panel that the retarding of Brown’s arm contributed to the contact, which was made with an open hand. The panel did not view his action as a reportable offence and no further action was taken.

http://www.afl.com.au/news/newsarticle/tabid/208/newsid/111941/default.aspx

Offline Penelope

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #118 on: April 18, 2011, 05:58:31 PM »
the leigh brown one was pretty soft

Offline jackfrost

• Tiger Rookie
« Reply #119 on: April 18, 2011, 06:25:35 PM »
What will be a pass mark for us?  :-\

Sportal is predicting a 75 point flogging  :help

This is the sort of game which could get really, really ugly for Tigers. They are ripe for the picking after being battered mentally and physically by the Hawks last week and Collingwood are convinced they are not playing their best football yet and need to improve. As one former player put it, they are a grasshopper stuck in a pen full of chooks.

It is hard to see a single part of the ground where the Tigers are going to get any joy .... It all adds up to a significant footballing lesson for the young Tigers, who will be happy to escape this one with a defeat under 50 points.

Collingwood by 75

Full preview here:
http://www.sportal.com.au/afl-news-display/preview-richmond-v-collingwood-118395

Quite an impressive call by Sportal, may have to look into their predications on the other games this past weekend.