Author Topic: Coburg vs Northern Bullants - Sunday, April 17  (Read 12457 times)

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
Re: Coburg vs Northern Bullants - Sunday, April 17
« Reply #105 on: April 19, 2011, 11:02:54 PM »
how could dea possibly get 2nd best on ground for 7 disposals????
I wouldn't have had him second best for Coburg but he did take Bullants most dangerous forward Ahmed Saad out of the game and early on saved at least a couple of goals through marks and spoils.
All you touch and all you see is all your life will ever be - Pink Floyd

Offline Tigermad20011

• Future Richmond star
« Reply #106 on: April 19, 2011, 11:07:52 PM »
Maybe he did a great stoppping job on Saad.

Offline WilliamPowell

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Better to ignore a fool than encourage one
    • One Eyed Richmond
« Reply #107 on: April 20, 2011, 06:58:07 AM »
Maybe he did a great stoppping job on Saad.

I thought he was OK but not in the best

As I mentioned previously, biggest problem I had with his games was his unwillingness to tackle, just wanted to corral far too often.
"Oh yes I am a dreamer, I still see us flying high!"

from the song "Don't Walk Away" by Pat Benatar 1988 (Wide Awake In Dreamland)

Offline Penelope

• Internet nuffer and sooky jellyfish
  • RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #108 on: April 20, 2011, 07:31:52 AM »
Perhaps Dea did exactly what was asked of him by the the coaches?

Matt Dea  (5 kicks, 2 handballs, 4 marks)
Played his defensive role extremely well to nullify the Bullants’ dangerous small forward Ahmed Saad.  Used his possessions to the team’s advantage. [/quote

“For My thoughts are not your thoughts,
Nor are your ways my ways,” says the Lord.

“For as the heavens are higher than the earth,
So are my ways higher than your ways,
And my thoughts than your thoughts."

Yahweh? or the great Clawski?

yaw rehto eht dellorcs ti fi daer ot reisae eb dluow tI

gerkin greg

« Reply #109 on: April 20, 2011, 10:12:43 AM »
Nullified a dangerous small forward you say?  :shh

Offline Penelope

• Internet nuffer and sooky jellyfish
  • RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #110 on: April 20, 2011, 03:14:38 PM »
perhaps it should have read a dangerous VFL small forward. :P

Either way the coaches were obviously happy with the task he performed, thus they named him in the best.

Has been an emergency for Richmond the last few weeks so could be getting a guernsey soon
“For My thoughts are not your thoughts,
Nor are your ways my ways,” says the Lord.

“For as the heavens are higher than the earth,
So are my ways higher than your ways,
And my thoughts than your thoughts."

Yahweh? or the great Clawski?

yaw rehto eht dellorcs ti fi daer ot reisae eb dluow tI

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #111 on: April 20, 2011, 07:11:11 PM »
Bullants Remain Undefeated
Katelyn Pinal
VFL official site

From the opening bounce everyone at the newly named Mantello Holden Oval knew that this was going to be a close one. But in the end it was the Northern Bullants who walked out seven point winners over a resilient Coburg outfit as Katelyn Pinal reports.

It was a hard-hitting game that was going to be decided from the midfield as both defensive ends were not letting anything through in the first quarter. After some great defensive work from the Bullants forward line and some quick feet from Carlton’s Setanta O’hAilpin, Adam Marcon was able to open the goal scoring for the Ants. Once this goal came, the Bullants managed to break through with Brett Thorton and the big Irish man O’hAilpin adding to the tally.

In the latter stages of the quarter the Tigers managed to pick up and force turnovers and were spurred on by a spectacular mark by Jayden Post, his first of three for the day. Defensive pressure from both teams kept scoring opportunities to a minimum with Bullants leading Coburg by just the single goal at the first change.

The second quarter saw much of the same, only this time it was Coburg that broke through with the first goal. Two very different styles of play became more evident as the Bullants utilised the middle corridor brilliantly, where as Coburg opted to kick across field to the wings. Some poor choices and Coburg’s inability to directly hit their targets let the Tigers down, turning over a lot of ball with dropped marks and kicks falling just short . Coburg just could not seem to convert their opportunities to those all important six points and at half time break the Bullants had stretched their lead to 24.

The beginning of the third quarter was all Bullants as we saw some more fancy footwork from O’hAilpin for the first goal. Less than a minute later, some excellent scrapping from Thornton saw the Bullants up and about with yet another goal. Some strong ruck work from Nick Meese saw the Bullants control clearances and another scoring opportunity soon presented itself with Wade Twoney kicking the Bullants third for the quarter. The Tigers just did not seem to have an answer for the fast paced Bullants who dominated the majority of the third term. Signs of a comeback began to surface towards the end from Coburg with their ruck working overtime, but their forward line seemed to be playing from behind.

The Bullants looked to continue their domination in the last quarter, outrunning and out-bodying a sluggish Coburg. Again the excellent defensive work from Bullants and some poor disposal from the Tigers let them down early. A soccer goal from Mitch Farmer sparked some last minute life into the Tigers who looked to make a late comeback. Some quick work from Robert Hicks pull the Tigers back to within 7 points.

In the end the Bullants were just too strong and Coburg’s inability to use their opportunities saw them fall just short. Setanta O’hAilpin was outstanding up forward with four goals for the Bullants, backed up well by Paul Bower and Brock McLean in defence and not many could look past Jayden Post’s numerous spectacular marks throughout the day.

FINAL SCORE:

Coburg Tigers        2.4  5.8  9.10  15.11 (101)
Northern Bullants   3.4  8.6  12.8  16.12 (108)

GOALS:
Coburg Tigers: Carnell 3 Hicks 2 Farmer 2 Lawton 2 Derickx  Nason  Post  Clifton  Contin  Gourdis
Northern Bullants: O'hAilpin 4 Thornton 4 Marcon 2 O'Keefe 2 Twomey  Kerr  Saad  Thomas

BEST:
Coburg Tigers: Post Dea Browne Clifton Carnell Tuck
Northern Bullants: Iacobucci McLean O'hAilpin Ellard Bower Joseph

http://www.sportingpulse.com/assoc_page.cgi?client=1-118-0-0-0&sID=60264&&news_task=DETAIL&articleID=15492786&sectionID=60264