Author Topic: Trent Cotchin hopes he's earned his stripes (Herald-Sun)  (Read 646 times)

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
Trent Cotchin hopes he's earned his stripes (Herald-Sun)
« on: September 05, 2012, 04:34:32 AM »
Trent Cotchin hopes he's earned his stripes

Mark Stevens
    September 05, 2012

TRENT Cotchin feels he is ready to become captain of Richmond after Chris Newman's surprise decision to step down.

But, in keeping with his team-first ethos, Cotchin was adamant he would have to beat a strong field.

Speaking exclusively to the Herald Sun after winning the prestigious AFL Coaches' Award, Cotchin, 23, said he had learned a lot about leadership in recent seasons.

"I feel as though my development has been pretty solid over the last couple of years," he said. "I've learned a lot from Chris himself, and other leaders around me.

"I was lucky enough to live with (former skipper) Kane Johnson when I first came to the club - that was a great experience.

"There is so much to continue to learn on-field and off-field."

Cotchin said Newman's decision had opened up an exciting opportunity.

"As sad as it was to see someone who has done such a fantastic job in the five or so years he was captain make the decision, it gives one of our leaders an opportunity to step up to the plate," Cotchin said.

"It will be exciting for whoever it is who takes on the role."

Cotchin is considered a certainty to replace Newman, but the Tigers will go through a voting process, with Brett Deledio likely to be the other main contender.

"We have a stringent process and that's very much respected by the group - that will be the deciding factor," Cotchin said.

"There will be a vote by the playing group and it's a system we've used the last couple of years ... it seems to be working.

"We have so many players who can take the mantle."

Cotchin, a Brownlow favourite, polled 107 votes to win the AFLCA award from Collingwood's Dayne Beams (99) and Gold Coast's Gary Ablett (92).

His tally was the second highest in the history of the award - behind only Magpie Dane Swan, who polled 114 in 2010.

Cotchin failed to poll on only three occasions - Rounds 3, 6 and 13.

The coach from each side votes on a 5-4-3-2-1 basis.

"You always want to represent your coach the best you can to be also recognised by one of the more important people in the opposition as well is special," Cotchin said.

"It's obviously showing a lot of respect for the way you play."

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/afl/more-news/trent-otchin-hopes-hes-earned-his-stripes/story-e6frf9jf-1226465150177

Offline JVT

• RFC Hall of Fame
Re: Trent Cotchin hopes he's earned his stripes (Herald-Sun)
« Reply #1 on: September 05, 2012, 08:43:16 AM »
Trent Cotchin hopes he's earned his stripes

Mark Stevens
    September 05, 2012

Cotchin failed to poll on only three occasions - Rounds 3, 6 and 13.

Wasn't Round 13 our bye  :wallywink

Offline Big Papa Bear

• Premiership Captain
  • For We're From Tigerland
« Reply #2 on: September 05, 2012, 10:01:55 PM »
Very self-deprecating! Off course you have earned it boy!

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #3 on: September 05, 2012, 11:41:50 PM »
Cotch restated when interviewed after the JDM tonight that he wants to become captain.