Author Topic: Richmond V Essendon Match Thread  (Read 14236 times)

Offline WilliamPowell

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Better to ignore a fool than encourage one
    • One Eyed Richmond
Re: Richmond V Essendon Match Thread
« Reply #15 on: May 18, 2011, 08:35:19 AM »
here's another pic from the HUN of the jumper

"Oh yes I am a dreamer, I still see us flying high!"

from the song "Don't Walk Away" by Pat Benatar 1988 (Wide Awake In Dreamland)

Offline WilliamPowell

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One Eyed Richmond
« Reply #16 on: May 18, 2011, 08:36:23 AM »
I have to say as a rule I really like Aboriginal Art but I am not sure if this guernsey design truely reflects it  :-\

Offline Tigeritis™©®

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Richmond, Premiers 2017.2019
« Reply #17 on: May 18, 2011, 10:36:28 AM »
Surely the indigenous community is taking the pee. Probably as punishment for not having 1 representative on the field.
Are the bombers changing their jumper?
The club that keeps giving.

gerkin greg

« Reply #18 on: May 18, 2011, 10:42:55 AM »
That jumper is crap

I thought the new Indigenous All Stars jumper did it well

Also, Rumours and unfounded innuendo are not to be posted

agree, this is completely unfounded and needs to be snipped:

i just shat out a bottle of ear medicine, used by 2001

Offline Fluffy Tiger

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Yes I was realy born in Richmond
    • Canning A.R.T.S.
« Reply #19 on: May 18, 2011, 01:11:54 PM »
What PR idiot thought it would be good to change the Jumper for this round ? And why would the board listen to them when seeing this rubbish ?

Come on Tigers , we can do better than this. Whats wrong with the Jumper that the kids flowing into to the ground will be wearing ?

As was said before  "sorry ,not a fan"
Here , kitty kitty. Here , kitty kitty.   AAAUGH!

Offline Penelope

• Internet nuffer and sooky jellyfish
  • RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #20 on: May 18, 2011, 01:25:08 PM »
Its got the same poxy grey and white with swirls as the training jumpers. I cant see much influence from the aboriginal artist in there at all
“For My thoughts are not your thoughts,
Nor are your ways my ways,” says the Lord.

“For as the heavens are higher than the earth,
So are my ways higher than your ways,
And my thoughts than your thoughts."

Yahweh? or the great Clawski?

yaw rehto eht dellorcs ti fi daer ot reisae eb dluow tI

Offline WilliamPowell

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One Eyed Richmond
« Reply #21 on: May 18, 2011, 02:07:52 PM »
The artwork on the sash was design by a local Indigenous artist Jirra Lulla Harvey:

Sash transformed for Dreamtime
richmondfc.com.au 6:44 AM Wed 18 May, 2011

Richmond players will embrace the 2011 Dreamtime at the ‘G clash with Essendon on Saturday night by wearing specially-themed guernseys.

The famous yellow sash on the Tigers’ jumper will feature a design by local Indigenous artist Jirra Lulla Harvey.

"The Dreamtime at the G is a great celebration of the wonderful contribution the Indigenous community has made to our game," Richmond CEO Brendon Gale said.

"We think the artwork incorporated into our iconic sash adds to this celebration and demonstrates our on-going commitment to this game and the role football can play in closing the gap between Indigenous and non-Indigenous Australia."

Full article at:

http://www.richmondfc.com.au/news/newsarticle/tabid/6301/newsid/114149/default.aspx

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #22 on: May 18, 2011, 03:18:11 PM »
New strip has Egan speechless
By Jason Phelan
2:56 PM Wed 18 May, 2011

Former Richmond Tiger Phil Egan in 1989

FORMER Richmond player Phil Egan admits the sight of the Tigers' specially-themed Dreamtime at the 'G guernsey almost brought him to tears.

The club's famous yellow sash has been adorned with a design by local Aboriginal artist Jirra Lulla Harvey as part of the AFL's Indigenous Round, which celebrates the contribution of indigenous players to the game.

Egan, who played 125 games for Richmond between 1982 and 1990, said it was a stunning tribute.

"It's really taken my breath away," Egan said from Punt Road Oval on Wednesday.

"To change the iconic strip … demonstrates to me as a black fella, the commitment that this club has to Aboriginal culture and what we're trying to do and achieve.

"It's not about how many players we have at any given time … to see that strip like that, it gives me a lump in the throat really.

"It demonstrates fully the commitment this football club has to what it's saying it is going to do."

Egan has been delighted by the role the AFL and his former club have taken in trying to stamp out racism in the game, but said there was still plenty of work to be done on the issue at the community level.

The Tigers will not have an indigenous player in their side for the big game against Essendon, which has gone under the Dreamtime at the 'G title since 2005, after Shane Edwards underwent surgery for a fractured cheekbone earlier in the week.

The match promises to draw a huge crowd to the MCG on Saturday night with both teams dramatically improving on last year's form.

http://www.afl.com.au/news/newsarticle/tabid/208/newsid/114196/default.aspx
« Last Edit: May 18, 2011, 05:28:51 PM by one-eyed »

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
Tigers welcome big stage test (Herald-Sun)
« Reply #23 on: May 18, 2011, 05:30:31 PM »
Tigers welcome big stage test

Michael Horan
    May 18, 2011, 2:08pm

DREAMTIME is not just about the annual clash against Essendon that celebrates our Indigenous football stars. This time it also symbolised what might lie beyond for the Tigers.

Three wins on the trot before faltering against the Bulldogs has given the emerging Tigers an appetite for bigger things and, with a huge crowd expected at the MCG on Saturday, an acid test on the big stage beckons.

''I think it makes it a lot better that both sides are on the up and up,'' Tiger Matthew White said today, while sporting the specially designed jumper for the clash.

''We've been playing pretty well the last few weeks - we've got three wins even though we were a little disappointing on the weekend - but Essendon has shown they are also on the way up and so it's going to be a good clash between two big sides in Melbourne.

"It's going to be great to get 90,000 people there to cheer us on."

The Bombers are an even bigger success story this year under new coach James Hird, sitting third on the table and, for all intents and purposes, finals bound.

Essendon will be missing prime over and captain Jobe Watson due to a hamstring injury and important link man Heath Hocking (suspended), but White said it would be folly to think their absence breeds an overdose of confidence in the Tiger camp.

''You can't underestimate Essendon at the moment. They are two big players that are coming out of their side, but they've got guys like (Brent) Prismall to come back in and he's shown form down at VFL level and he's a big player as well,'' he said.

The Dreamtime game has become a big occasion on the annual football calendar, but White said it was business as usual at Punt Rd this week.

''Pretty much everything is the same. We've released the jumper now. We've been trying to keep everything pretty low key, knowing there's going to be a big crowd this weekend,'' he said.

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/afl/tigers-welcome-big-stage-test/story-e6frf9jf-1226058287968

the claw

« Reply #24 on: May 18, 2011, 07:41:01 PM »
for me there can be no excuses again this week for not winning. bloody hell they have some players on the injury list.
if they lack depth in a critical area i would say its inside ball winners. no watson no hocking probably their best two inside players out this week really gives us an opportunity. and no hurley pears gumbleton and others geez what an opportunity we have on the big stage.

Offline smasha

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #25 on: May 18, 2011, 07:48:00 PM »
Can't see us beating these smug fiddle dee dees.

Need to stop Ryder,Hille and bloody Reimers will probably kick 8.

Nothing worse losing to the Verucas.

I'll be gutted again.

Hope I'm terribly wrong and I will wear egg on my face with happyness.

CARN TIGES!
« Last Edit: May 18, 2011, 08:39:14 PM by smasha »

Offline MADTIGER2010

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #26 on: May 18, 2011, 08:37:00 PM »
in-browne, webberley, post
out-graham, edwards, rance

Post to take Ryder in defence  8)

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #27 on: May 18, 2011, 10:32:24 PM »
AFL site is tipping Essendon by 14 pts......

SUMMARY
There is already a sense of ceremony about this one as the focal point of this week's Indigenous Round. But there is added anticipation about the game for the first time in years both Essendon and Richmond are exciting teams.

The Bombers are probably ahead of the Tigers at the moment but both have significantly improved on what we saw last year. Essendon will undoubtedly miss injured skipper Jobe Watson as well as the suspended Heath Hocking which should work to Richmond's advantage.

The Tigers have two of the most exciting young midfielders in the league in Dustin Martin and Trent Cotchin and they seem to be getting better with every passing week this season. Throw in debutant Reece Conca, who has shown he doesn't mind a contest, and Jack Riewoldt and the Tigers all of a sudden look like one of the AFL's most exciting young teams.

QUESTION MARKS
Just how important is Jobe Watson to Essendon's midfield? He is clearly their best on-baller and his absence will mean higher expectations on players such as David Zaharakis and David Myers. Both players performed admirably last week, but their value has shot up without their injured captain.

Where is Brett Deledio best suited for the Tigers? He started out as half-back last week where he was shut out by Bulldog Dylan Addison. A move into the midfield kick-started things for the former No.1 NAB AFL Draft pick and it might be where he belongs, particularly as the Tigers look to expose an undermanned Essendon engine room.

PREDICTION
Essendon by 14 points

http://www.afl.com.au/tabid/16931/Default.aspx#fixtureid=5528&tab=Preview

Offline eliminator

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #28 on: May 19, 2011, 07:28:48 AM »
We are going to get thrashed in the ruck. To win our midfielders are going to have to shark the opposition tap outs.

Offline cub

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • "Tigertime!"
    • bantigertrade
« Reply #29 on: May 19, 2011, 08:54:12 AM »
Not confident AT ALL