Author Topic: Dean Laidley - the new Frawley/Geischen  (Read 4123 times)

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
Dean Laidley - the new Frawley/Geischen
« on: October 30, 2004, 06:24:19 PM »
Just reading in the papers today that Laidley is interested in picking up Fleming made me think that Laidley is making every mistake we've made the past 10 years. Giving away early draft picks on older players from other clubs (Thomson) and drafting recycled fringe duds just to finish up 9th on the ladder. I'd reckon he'll be close to favourite to get the flick out of the coaches next year.

Thank goodness those idiotic days are over for us  :thumbsup 
All you touch and all you see is all your life will ever be - Pink Floyd

Offline JohnF

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • ROFLMAO
Re: Dean Laidley - the new Frawley/Geischen
« Reply #1 on: October 30, 2004, 06:36:48 PM »
LOL, so true.

And he's probably too cranky for anyone to tell him that he's making mistakes.

Laidley: " I know what we'll do, we'll use our first and second round draft picks on a middle of the rung manic depressive with dodgy knees and then we'll recruit a psychotic talentless midfielder from a team that finished 16th on the ladder and doesn't want him anymore"

Assistant Coaches : "Ah.... yeah, sure Dean, sounds great...."

Ox

« Reply #2 on: October 30, 2004, 11:51:23 PM »
Come on guys,
no-one is as stupid as frawley.
He's in a moronic league of his own.

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
« Reply #3 on: October 31, 2004, 04:01:44 AM »
ok might have been a bit harsh there Ox  ;D although Frawley can lay claim to coaching a side to the finals  :o which is something Laidley has failed to do so far lol ;).

Still the Roos over the past 2 years are showing all the hallmarks of aiming for mediocrity like we did. Like taking shortcuts  to aim for 8th spot (as opposed to making the top 8) and coming up a cropper in the last month of the H/A season to just miss out and finish 9th after spending most of the year in the eight. They are as blind to it as we were.
« Last Edit: October 31, 2004, 04:07:39 AM by mightytiges »

Offline Rodgerramjet

• OER - CONTRIBUTOR
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Never cast pearls before swine.
« Reply #4 on: November 01, 2004, 01:00:36 AM »
I was surprised that the Roos got as far as they did this year, I had them picked for the spoon  ;D I think they will get it next year or come very close. Laidley won't make it as a coach :thumbsup
The lips of Wisdom are closed, except to the ears of Understanding.

Offline Fishfinger

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • You can't put brains in an idiot
« Reply #5 on: November 01, 2004, 10:51:52 AM »
I was surprised that the Roos got as far as they did this year, I had them picked for the spoon  ;D
Ditto.
What made it worse was I had Richmond in the 8.
It's 50 of one and half a dozen of the other - Don Scott

Online WilliamPowell

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Better to ignore a fool than encourage one
    • One Eyed Richmond
« Reply #6 on: November 01, 2004, 10:56:19 AM »
Still the Roos over the past 2 years are showing all the hallmarks of aiming for mediocrity like we did. Like taking shortcuts  to aim for 8th spot (as opposed to making the top 8) and coming up a cropper in the last month of the H/A season to just miss out and finish 9th after spending most of the year in the eight. They are as blind to it as we were.

Yes, it seems the Kanagaroos are living that dream sorry that should read nightmare believing they are one key position player away from being a super successful side.

Unfortunately, Laidley seems to be on the Frwaley path of coaching for his own future rather than the teams future.

Luckily for him I don't think he is likely to be given the flick because the Roos cannot afford to pay that much. Remember they had a chance to get Eade when Pagan left and went with an untried coach and to this day I believe it had a lot to do with finances
"Oh yes I am a dreamer, I still see us flying high!"

from the song "Don't Walk Away" by Pat Benatar 1988 (Wide Awake In Dreamland)

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
« Reply #7 on: November 01, 2004, 06:14:53 PM »
Luckily for him I don't think he is likely to be given the flick because the Roos cannot afford to pay that much. Remember they had a chance to get Eade when Pagan left and went with an untried coach and to this day I believe it had a lot to do with finances

If that's the case then the rest of the comp. won't have to worry about the Roos being a threat.

I read somewhere that they're bumping up their TPP to 97-98% in 2005 from something like 94% this year. Interesting that they are able to do that when receiving extra money from the AFL if that's true.   

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
« Reply #8 on: February 10, 2005, 04:08:26 AM »
I can't believe the Roos have resigned Laidley for another 2 years after this one and used that word "rebuilding" as the reason. Giving up your first two draft picks for an aging Nathan Thomson is rebuidling?!  ???

Anyway there goes my tip for the first coach to get the flick this year :P