Author Topic: Wallace on SEN 8/2/05  (Read 1617 times)

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
Wallace on SEN 8/2/05
« on: February 08, 2005, 11:44:03 AM »
Wallace was on KB's show this morning talking mainly about the coach's role with the media.

- His philosophy is that anything that opens the game up to the people is good provided you don't give away too much. He mentioned he had no issue with the media talking to a coach or willing player at breaks (including on the bench). Gave Browny as an example of someone comfortable talking in/with the media.

- He'll still be doing his media roles with the H-Sun and fox footy. 

- On the captaincy - Wallace just popped out of a meeting on the issue but just reiterated things he's said before. That the 4 guys knew the criteria they had to meet and that he wanted to see how the perfromed in the heat of battle (who kept the team focused when we were in front; who stood up and got the guys going when we we're behind). He had privately got the players thoughts. They ranked Joel, Browny, Johnno and Richo from 1-4. If I heard this correctly some guys included who they didn't think should get it as well as who should.

- On Richo - that we demand alot from Matty both on and off field. I think he was suggesting others needed to share the "face" of the Club role.

- Not sure if he meant this happended yesterday or will be the case tomorrow but he deliberately got (will get) Raines and Roach to tag Deledio and Tambling so the latter two would learn to win the ball under heavy attention. Seemed to think Malthouse will do so in 10 days time.
All you touch and all you see is all your life will ever be - Pink Floyd

Offline Tiger Spirit

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • For We're From Tigerland
Re: Wallace on SEN 8/2/05
« Reply #1 on: February 08, 2005, 12:14:04 PM »
Nathan Brown and Joel Bowden were the two Captains in the first intra-club game last week.  So I guess it’ll be Richo and Johnson’s turn tomorrow.

- On the captaincy … the 4 guys knew the criteria they had to meet and that he wanted to see how the perfromed in the heat of battle (who kept the team focused when we were in front; who stood up and got the guys going when we we're behind).

Richo could surprise a few, but I tend to think that Johnson and Bowden will come out best in this area.

Everything that is done in this world is done by hope.  --Martin Luther

The time you enjoy wasting isn’t wasted time.

Offline zips

• Tiger Rookie
  • For We're From Tigerland
« Reply #2 on: February 08, 2005, 12:23:02 PM »
I would have thought using Chaffey & Hyde as the taggers would have been a better idea.  This would give them a much tougher working over to really get them used to the pressure.

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
« Reply #3 on: February 08, 2005, 12:38:55 PM »
I would have thought using Chaffey & Hyde as the taggers would have been a better idea.  This would give them a much tougher working over to really get them used to the pressure.

If it was just an education process for Deledio and Tambling then I would agree zips but what Wallace said came across to me as it was also as much a test for Raines and Roach to compete against talented albeit still very young and raw midfielders. IIRC Wallace mentioned he jokingly said to Raines and Techno to enjoy the chance to get one up on them while they're still young.

Welcome aboard OER  :cheers
All you touch and all you see is all your life will ever be - Pink Floyd

Offline Rodgerramjet

• OER - CONTRIBUTOR
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Never cast pearls before swine.
« Reply #4 on: February 08, 2005, 05:20:54 PM »
This IMO will be just as much a test for Roach and Raines as it is for the youngsters, good gradient IMO. Well done Wallace :thumbsup
The lips of Wisdom are closed, except to the ears of Understanding.