Author Topic: Intra-club match - 9/2/05  (Read 7675 times)

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
Intra-club match - 9/2/05
« on: February 09, 2005, 04:38:16 PM »
Just got back and will give a quick summary before going into more detail later on as well as adding some pics.

Teams were split in probables (black) and possibles (white) with the blacks a far stronger side to the tune of 122 points  :o. The whites had a number of Coburg players which I didn't recongize. Terry said the Blacks were the "18" and the 24 for the Wiz cup would come from the whites.

Final Scores:

Blacks: 4.5 8.11 16.15  22.17-149
Whites:  2.3 3.3 3.8 3.9-27

Goal scores (I was up one end so may have confused one or two players):

Blacks: Richo 6.3 (from 2 and bit qtrs) + 1 OOF lol, Tambling 3.4, Simmonds 2.3, Roach 2.1, Schulz 2.0, Krakouer 2.2, Hyde 2.1, Tivs 1, Graham 1, Bowden 1.

Whites: Tuck 2, Gilmour 1.

Best:

Blacks: Hyde, Tivs, Simmonds, Richo, Krakouer, Johnson, Bowden, Deledio (absolute gun - skill ++++++), Rodan.
Whites: Gilmour (good games in a smashed side). Raines, Meyer and Tuck battled on.

Teams:

Blacks: Gas, Deledio, Simmonds, Roach, Bowden, Richo, Rodan, Jackson, Cogs, Schulz, Pattison, Krakouer, Johnson (c), Tambling, Hyde, Tivs, Graham, Newman, Kellaway + Coburg players McKinnon and Kurret (think he was No. 42).

Whites: Raines, Chaffey, Cambo, Stafford, Polo, Limbach, Tuck, Meyer, Gilmour, Hartigan, Archibald, McGuane, Moore + Coburgers Rix, Remmington, Nick Raines, May (No. 31) and Randello.   

Absent: Browny (slight niggle in the hamstring. Coached the Blacks while Terry looked on), Hilton, Hall, Pettifer, Knobel.

Brief Summary:

First quarter both sides went wide and I thought what's going on here. Blacks straightened up and dominated the corridor after quarter time. They could have been miles ahead at half time if they had kicked straight. Some pretty simple set shots missed. Whites fell down badly across HF and the game became a procession after half time.
Simmonds and Richo combined well swapping b/w HF and FF. Just too strong for Archibald and Rix although the ball came down their way frequently.
Tambling played FF after half time with Simmonds just in front of him leading to leave Tambo one out against Polo. Only pick on Tambling is he was a bit lazy with some of his kicks and he needs to take a few more steps and kick through the ball when having shots at goal. Terry said Tambling was a bit rigid and conservative today. He would normally have run around when on an angle. Apart from that very good at this role with a lovely volley goal in the 3rd quarter. Also ran down Hartigan (who looked a bit out of sorts today) once and almost got him again.
Deledio and Tivs set up attacks nicely off HB. Deledio didn't miss one single target and he would hit teammates so precisely they didn't have to break stride.
Hyde blitzed especially after half time. Looked to me like he has gained some pace. Took guys on a couple of times and ran away from them.
Krakouer had a top game with very clean hands in the midfield. I think he copped a knock to the calf but should be right for the Wiz Cup.
Wallace very happy when interviewed after the game. I'd reckon the way Richo and Simmonds worked together along with a small in a very open forward line lit up his eyes.
Cogs played a quarter and Terry said he would be adding basically an extra quarter per week.
Stafford played first half
Richo played 2 and a bit quarters bagging 6.

That's it for now.
« Last Edit: February 09, 2005, 04:48:27 PM by mightytiges »
All you touch and all you see is all your life will ever be - Pink Floyd

Offline JohnF

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • ROFLMAO
Re: Intra-club match - 9/2/05
« Reply #1 on: February 09, 2005, 04:54:53 PM »
Thanks for the report MT.

Can you tell us a little about how Gaspar went (did the ball even go near him? lol), and also some others like Newman, Raines, Meyer, Gilmour.

Were all the boys trying or was it a bit half hearted?

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
« Reply #2 on: February 09, 2005, 05:14:52 PM »
Thanks for the report MT.

Can you tell us a little about how Gaspar went (did the ball even go near him? lol), and also some others like Newman, Raines, Meyer, Gilmour.

Were all the boys trying or was it a bit half hearted?

Gas actually did well defending the few times the ball went forward for the whites. He even ran the length of the ground in the final quarter linking up with handball. Need to see him against better forwards before saying he's back or not. At the 3/4 time huddle the coaching staff seemed pleased with his efforts as he got a special mention.

Gilmour or as he's called "Gilly" played very well for the whites given they were getting pumped. Best by far IMHO. I would say he played more as outside midfielder but he seemed to do everything right today. Ran to offer an option, marked, kicked and handballed well. Hard to judge Raines and Meyer as it was one way traffic. They kept putting their body in but were overwhelmed by numbers. The blacks always had more numbers around every contest (which usually means they are running harder). Newman was solid. Played mainly in defence with a couple of stints in the middle and up forward.

I should say putting on my harsh hat that in the first half we (blacks) still missed too many targets (ball bouncing in front of teammate) compared to the standard we need to get to. Second half was much much better although it was one-sided so you'd expect that. Our entry in the forward line was very pleasing. We actually switched the play can you believe that  ;). Everyone dragged their oppenents to one side leaving room for Tamblng to easily lead into and mark.

With the game itself the boys were trying. I wouldn't say it was half-hearted. There were some nice hits in contests. Only thing I saw that was half-hearted was a bailed-out tackle that could have cleaned up one "white" player who was set up with a hospital pass.

All in all one side was just far too big, strong and well-machined for the other.   

Offline JohnF

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • ROFLMAO
« Reply #3 on: February 09, 2005, 05:28:00 PM »
Good news about Gilmour. Would be great if he can add another option in the midfield for us, if not this year then the next. We definitely need it.

Hopefully Gas can get back the speed he had becuase our backline looks more fragile than a haemophiliac. We need him to be at his best.

Great to hear Hyde appears to have added soe pace as well. Would help him no end if he is to assume tagging duties.

How did old man Campbell go? Still running on the spot and holding up play? Was he playing in the forward line?

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
« Reply #4 on: February 09, 2005, 05:36:13 PM »
How did old man Campbell go? Still running on the spot and holding up play? Was he playing in the forward line?

Um... ;D. Did you ever watch the Goodies where in one epsiode they went to Wales to play for the Druids in the rugby comp b/w different Christian faiths? Anyway the Pope played for the Catholics and he would be in one of those chairs where he would be given the ball and 6 blokes would carry him in it from one end to the other to score without an opponent being able to tackle him. That comes to mind as an option when I think of Cambo in 2005 lol.

In all seriousness he played for the whites and only got the footy now and then and was hardly sighted. I didn't notice him up forward for them at any stage. Chaffey was also hardly seen after quarter time. 

Offline JohnF

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • ROFLMAO
« Reply #5 on: February 09, 2005, 05:45:40 PM »
ROFLFMLAOOO!

He's been carrying a few blokes over the years, so I guess it's about time they carried him.

lmfaooooo@the Goodies. Farrken awesome show.

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
Terrific Tambling
« Reply #6 on: February 09, 2005, 05:47:58 PM »
Terrific Tambling
4:47:04 PM Wed 9 February, 2005
Matt Burgan
Sportal

Electrifying Richmond recruit Richard Tambling has already got the yellow and black faithful rubbing their hands with excitement after the young Northern Territorian shone in his first intra-club hit-out on Wednesday at McHale Stadium.

Tambling, who was the fourth player selected in last year's National Bank's AFL Draft, was a standout performer for the 'Probables' - a team made up of players likely to feature in Richmond first Wizard Home Loans Cup match against Collingwood next Friday.

He kicked three goals and had several shots at goal against the 'Possibles'. New Richmond coach Terry Wallace was particularly pleased with Tambling's hit-out.

"He was really good. Obviously he missed his opportunities at goal. He could have kicked two or three more with a few set-shot misses but he's a quality player and that's why you don't go in the top four of the draft unless you are that," Wallace said.

Wallace added that he was encouraging Tambling to use his natural flair.

"I thought a couple of times when he had shots on goals on angles, perhaps at under-18 level he would've taken off and almost kick them (Jeff) Farmer-like, where here he was a bit more rigid and a bit more stiff on his approach on his set-shot goalkicking," Wallace said.

"The sooner that he can just relax and play his natural game, which he's learning to do pretty quickly, I think the better (he'll be)."

Wallace said Tambling and Brett Deledio - the first player selected in last year's National Bank's AFL Draft - were likely to play in next Friday night's pre-season opener.

Other highlights in the intra-club match included the strong performance up forward by 'Probables' captain Matthew Richardson, who along with Joel Bowden, Nathan Brown and Kane Johnson, is vying for the Richmond captaincy in 2005.

"He dominated the first-half of the game. He obviously came off in the latter part but I just liked the ability to be able to swing him from full-forward to centre half-forward and have that availability of a few other targets," Wallace said of Richardson.

Bowden and Johnson were also fine players, while Brown did not play due to hamstring tightness.

Deledio, veteran recruit Mark Graham, youngster Tom Roach and the mature-aged Shane Tuck were also noticeable performers.

Ruckman/forward Greg Stafford played half a match, while midfielder Mark Coughlan played a quarter, but Wallace said the match committee was preparing the 2003 Jack Dyer medalist for round one of the home-and-away season.

Wallace said Stafford was a chance to play in the opening round of the Wizard Cup

Andrew Krakouer received a kick to the calf late in the match, but Wallace expected him to be available for next Friday night's clash.

http://afl.com.au/default.asp?pg=news&spg=display&articleid=184647

Offline Fishfinger

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • You can't put brains in an idiot
« Reply #7 on: February 09, 2005, 05:54:25 PM »
I'm pretty sure Campbell and Chaffey spent nearly all of the second half on the bench MT. Definitely all of the last quarter.

In the last quarter heaps of players were rested, there was only 15 per side on the field. I think Coughlan was boundary umpiire in the third quarter on the outer side.

I thought Hartigan was pretty close to best for the whites. Gilmour looked good, and I think Nick Raines probably played a bit better than Andrew. Andrew's disposal is better.

Gaspar didn't get a touch in the first quarter but improved after that.
Pattison looks a good ruck prospect.
It's 50 of one and half a dozen of the other - Don Scott

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
« Reply #8 on: February 09, 2005, 05:59:13 PM »
Deledio stood out more in the awesome stakes. Barring injury touchwood, this guy's skills will make him an absolute gun! He's still got a way to go before he dominates a full game but every possession of his was unbelievably classy. If Denis Cometti is commentating the "centimetre perfect" line of his will get a fair workout. From a poor ol' suffering Richmond supporter viewpoint he could be the complete package - skill,  class and an awesome footy brain. In one passage he marked the ball above his head at HB on the point of the square and in the same motion played on straight away as he knew there was teammate leading to the opposite point at HF. A perfectedly weighted 50m kick that bypassed the opposition upfield to a free Simmonds who passed to a one-out Richo -> Goal.   

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
« Reply #9 on: February 09, 2005, 06:07:06 PM »
I'm pretty sure Campbell and Chaffey spent nearly all of the second half on the bench MT. Definitely all of the last quarter.

I think you're right about that FF.

I missed the first question to Wallace from the media scrum but I think it was about Cambo and why he was playing for the possibles and not the probables. Terry didn't seem too fussed about his game or lack of it in his response.

Offline Fishfinger

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • You can't put brains in an idiot
« Reply #10 on: February 09, 2005, 06:14:51 PM »
I was on the wing MT, and Campbell was very vocal in an instructive way. He didn't get a lot of possessions but every one of them hit a target or was to advantage.

Meyer was the big surprise packet for me. He can play.
It's 50 of one and half a dozen of the other - Don Scott

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
« Reply #11 on: February 09, 2005, 06:38:32 PM »
The only disadvantage Meyer had today was he was playing in a side that got totally smashed. That's why I found it hard to judge him even though he would be in the whites' best. I guess I'm talking more about his defensive/accountable side and how he went compared to his direct opponent(s). It's hard to judge a player when they're swimming against a torrent. I was pleased with what he did when he got the footy. 

I thought how vocal the boys were today was another good sign.

Bulluss

« Reply #12 on: February 09, 2005, 07:18:22 PM »
Deledio will be the next Chris Judd!

He is going to be an absolute gun, with Tambling not far behind

Hawthorn will be spewing they didnt take Tambling

Life goes on

« Reply #13 on: February 09, 2005, 09:30:46 PM »
Very impresssed with Chris Hyde!

Offline Fwoy3

• Un-unRichmondlike
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Shut the eff up Jack!
« Reply #14 on: February 10, 2005, 12:37:44 AM »
not much to add just yet, other than to say Kurret was actually in the possibles (white) team (#43), and Morrison also missed...
My parents bought me a Richmond jumper and enrolled me in a junior footy clinic in 1981...look at me now.