Author Topic: Coburg vs Collingwood, Sat May 28 --- Live on ABC TV  (Read 9048 times)

Offline Penelope

• Internet nuffer and sooky jellyfish
  • RFC Hall of Fame
Re: Coburg vs Collingwood, Sat May 28 --- Live on ABC TV
« Reply #105 on: May 30, 2011, 09:25:46 PM »
:lol

did you flush? because i reckon i can find a spare jumper
even if it's gone white and crumbly like an old dog's

the legs stopped it from going around the S bend.
had to belt it into submission with a stick but eventualy was able to send it off to join the collingwood cheer squad

“For My thoughts are not your thoughts,
Nor are your ways my ways,” says the Lord.

“For as the heavens are higher than the earth,
So are my ways higher than your ways,
And my thoughts than your thoughts."

Yahweh? or the great Clawski?

yaw rehto eht dellorcs ti fi daer ot reisae eb dluow tI

Offline Coach

• Hardly A Prude
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Depend on Schulzy
« Reply #106 on: May 30, 2011, 09:26:15 PM »
TA  :cheers

gerkin greg

« Reply #107 on: May 30, 2011, 09:30:58 PM »

had to belt it into submission with a stick but eventualy was able to send it off to join the collingwood cheer squad

pretty sure a mcguane played for collingwood... could be the one and the same borry?

Offline J Buckthorn

• Jack Dyer medallist

Offline J Buckthorn

• Jack Dyer medallist
« Reply #109 on: May 30, 2011, 09:36:03 PM »

pretty sure a mcguane played for collingwood... could be the one and the same borry?

That's one hairy borry. Like a dried out bottlebrush...

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #110 on: May 31, 2011, 04:48:48 PM »
Round 9 Match Reports
Coburg website

SENIORS

We meet Collingwood on Saturday at Mantello Holden Oval and we finally were able to sing the theme song with gusto after recording a 39 point win.

Ben Griffiths was a focal point early taking some great marks and putting the ball inside our 50 on several occasions.

Although Collingwood got the jump on us early we were confident that our fitness and determination would get us over the line.

The surprise packet of the day was no doubt the pocket rocket, Dylan Murphy who was playing his first game as a listed Coburg player and kicked 6 goals and could have had a few more.

Big Gus Graham came back into form with his work around the ground and kicked some telling goals.

Willie Wheeler continued his great form and worked well with Tom Hislop and Sammy Power.

Speaking of Sammy he also came back into some form after missing a few games with a hamstring and it has taken him a few weeks to get back to match fitness.His link up play set us up well and bought other players into the game. 

Jamason Daniels was given a specific negating role and did a creditable job and also chipped in with 3 goals.
We had James Saville play his first game after battling several injuries over the years and it was a great result for him as his form in the Development team has been consistent all year and for a full back to be collecting 25+ possessions regularly, it was just too hard for us to over look and give him a go at senior level.

Also Nick Westhoff made his senior debut and after playing all last year and most of this year in Development level, so has been patient and rewarded accordingly.

COBURG:                    2.4          8.4          15.5        22.7        139
COLLINGWOOD            4.4          8.7          11.12     14.16       100

Goal Kickers: D.Murphy 6,Daniels 3,Jordon 3,Hislop 3,Graham 2,Nason 2,Wheeler,Carnell,Griffiths

DEVELOPMENT

The boys were up against Port Melbourne who had bought some regular senior players back as their senior team had the bye,so we were always up against it.

The game could have got really ugly after half time but we fought tough and hard and it was really pleasing to see the players show some pride and it will go a long way to improving their development in the future and that is really the essence of what we are trying to do with this team.

Rob Hicks was sent back and to his credit was dangerous all day.Murphy Ambrose came back after missing a week due to suspension and continued his form.

Dave Fahey had a quiet first half but he show great maturity and lead from the front in the 2nd half and was a catalyst in us not being taken to the cleaners by Port.

We meet Port Melbourne again in Rd 11,so the team that we come up against will be a lot different, so hopefully the result will be also.

COBURG:                         2.0          2.1          3.3          7.8        50
PT.MELBOURNE               6.5          10.7        12.11     17.14     116   

Goal kickers:Lynch 3,Hicks 2,Pound,Lawton,Lucin,Madden

This week we have our 3rd bye of the season and then meet Port Melbourne at Mantello Holden Oval on Saturday June 11th.

This Saturday night we are having a 80’s function at the Coburg Social rooms, so it would be great to see some supporters there to meet the players.It all kicks off at 7.30pm.

http://www.sportingpulse.com/club_info.cgi?client=1-118-10471-150677-14512913&sID=56260&&news_task=DETAIL&articleID=15891467&sectionID=56260

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
« Reply #111 on: June 01, 2011, 12:41:48 AM »
For those baging out Gourdis did you watch the match? He made one mistake by foot but all the rest of his kicks were very good, the handball he is being critisized for was Hislops mistake as he ran behind Gourdis calling for the hand pass. The call was honoured and Hislop was tackled immediatly, not Goo's fault for responding to a team mates call.

I for one liked what i saw of Gourdis, every player makes the odd mistake however his game on the weekend showed his strength's. Gourdis has improved his reading of the play and as a result he supports his team mates regularly by either spoiling or marking. I would like Gourdis to be given the opportunity to show his wears in the coming games as his speed, height and strength could be the answer to replacing Grimes.

Spot on. I thought he was terrific on Saturday and should get a recall for Grimes. While we're at, if we were to replace that dud McGuane with either Post or Astbury as well our defence would improve out of sight.   

I must have been watching a different game. Goo was beaten by Eddy (Pies forward) in the first quarter and was moved off him. He crashed into a Coburg teammate who could have taken a simple mark in defence and the balled spilled for a Collingwood goal. Goo's second half was better but I just don't see him after 4 years on our list and still playing VFL being at Punt Rd next year. We just seem to have too many key defenders who aren't natural footballers with footy smarts.

ps. I agree RR that we have to replace McGaune in time as well. I don't believe we have all of our future premiership defence on our list yet. Astbury was solid after 1/4 time but not yet ready for a recall IMO.
All you touch and all you see is all your life will ever be - Pink Floyd

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #112 on: June 01, 2011, 01:33:53 PM »
The Coburg Report
richmondfc.com.au
Wed 01 Jun, 2011

Development coach, David Newett, provides a summary of how the Richmond-listed players performed at AFL level with Coburg in last Saturday’s clash with Collingwood . . .

David Gourdis
Very good game from the backman, who is back to his best form of last season.  Took seven marks and had 10 spoils.  Is playing with renewed confidence and making a very valuable contribution to the Coburg defence.

Pat Contin
Was used across half-back and also spent some time in the midfield.  Played his role well, curbing opponents and providing rebound.

Tom Derickx
Starting to adjust to VFL football.  Again displayed good work rate throughout the game and was competitive in the ruck duels, despite giving away a few free kicks early on.

Tom Hislop
Was a catalyst in Coburg’s good win, with his ball-getting ability inside and out.  Provided plenty of drive from the midfield, with some outstanding hard-ball gets and was a strong presence up forward as well, kicking three goals.  Offered great leadership through his impressive attitude and overall performance.     

Ben Griffiths
Didn’t have a high possession game, but impacted in the forward half.  Looked confident presenting to the ball carrier, and his seven marks showed that he is getting closer to his best form after a long lay-off due to injury.

Ben Nason
Started slowly, but had an impact in the second half.  Created turnovers and provided link from defence.  Finished with 23 possessions and two goals in an improved performance.

David Astbury
A solid four-quarter effort from the key tall.  Assisted other defenders when required, took some good marks, and used his possessions to the team’s advantage.

Angus Graham
Produced his best game for Coburg in some time.  Won 27 hit-outs, to give the team’s midfielders first use of the ball.  Very good follow-up work to apply pressure to opponents, and his spread from stoppages to provide a target resulted in eight marks and 28 possessions all-up.  Provided a strong physical presence at contests around the ground and when forward, to cap off a top display.

Nick Westhoff
Played his first game of senior VFL football and, although he was adjusting to the tempo, did have some handy touches.

Jayden Post
Had a relatively quiet day in his return from AFL duties.  Was competitive in the forward line and in aerial contests, without having a major impact.

Ben Jakobi  (Coburg reserves)
Spent time in defence and midfield throughout the reserves game.  Had some good involvements, but skill errors detracted from his performance.

Robbie Hicks (Coburg reserves)
Accumulated 21 possessions across half-forward and through the midfield in his reserves appearance.  Applied good pressure at times and was lively up forward.

Jamie O’Reilly (Coburg reserves)
Made a long-awaited return after injury, playing half a game in the reserves.  Despite a few errors, was serviceable across half-back, providing some good rebound.

http://www.richmondfc.com.au/news/newsarticle/tabid/6301/newsid/115254/default.aspx

Offline The Machine

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #113 on: June 01, 2011, 03:46:21 PM »
For those baging out Gourdis did you watch the match? He made one mistake by foot but all the rest of his kicks were very good, the handball he is being critisized for was Hislops mistake as he ran behind Gourdis calling for the hand pass. The call was honoured and Hislop was tackled immediatly, not Goo's fault for responding to a team mates call.

I for one liked what i saw of Gourdis, every player makes the odd mistake however his game on the weekend showed his strength's. Gourdis has improved his reading of the play and as a result he supports his team mates regularly by either spoiling or marking. I would like Gourdis to be given the opportunity to show his wears in the coming games as his speed, height and strength could be the answer to replacing Grimes.

Spot on. I thought he was terrific on Saturday and should get a recall for Grimes. While we're at, if we were to replace that dud McGuane with either Post or Astbury as well our defence would improve out of sight.   

I must have been watching a different game. Goo was beaten by Eddy (Pies forward) in the first quarter and was moved off him. He crashed into a Coburg teammate who could have taken a simple mark in defence and the balled spilled for a Collingwood goal. Goo's second half was better but I just don't see him after 4 years on our list and still playing VFL being at Punt Rd next year. We just seem to have too many key defenders who aren't natural footballers with footy smarts.

ps. I agree RR that we have to replace McGaune in time as well. I don't believe we have all of our future premiership defence on our list yet. Astbury was solid after 1/4 time but not yet ready for a recall IMO.

Agree MT that Goo started slowly and was beaten early but the whole team started slowly except Hislop. What i liked was he did not drop his head and infact when the game settled he grew in confidence and displayed a great ability to spoil and contest very well. I have not given up on Goo just yet but time is ticking and if he is given an opportunity he must grab it with both hands.

David Newetts report on Goo suggests he is playing well at the moment and it is great to see fringe players pushing for selection.

Offline Dice

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #114 on: June 01, 2011, 04:56:08 PM »
The Coburg Report
richmondfc.com.au
Wed 01 Jun, 2011

Tom Derickx
Starting to adjust to VFL football.  Again displayed good work rate throughout the game and was competitive in the ruck duels, despite giving away a few free kicks early on.

A very polite way to say.... He was terrible !!
Tanking has put the club where it's at - Paul Roos

Offline SPOCK

• Future Richmond star
« Reply #115 on: June 02, 2011, 09:05:23 PM »

[/quote

Yep you were watching the wrong game, Goo was moved onto Eddy 5 mins into the 2nd qtr, Eddy kicked 1 goal on him at that point after that Goo kept Eddy to 1 possession tor the rest of the game, while he had 15 possies including hitting to forwards inside our 50 ( Eddy did kick 1 other goal while Gourdis was off the ground)

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #116 on: June 04, 2011, 06:23:13 AM »
The Coburg vs Collingwood game in full is now up on the abc's iview:

http://www.abc.net.au/iview/#/view/768972