Author Topic: Richmond players and coaches lost Darwin game, not their marketing dept. (Fox)  (Read 3293 times)

Online Francois Jackson

• RFC Hall of Fame
Like i said positive is, it puts us in good stead against the Suns and next year in Darwin.

Well I know I'll be doing things very differently for my Darwin trip next year  :thumbsup

I'll be going up earlier, staying an extra day and chosing a much better hotel than the one I stayed at  ;D

where you stay?

we stayed at the Palms resort esplanade. Great little Villa. Well priced too.

we come up Thur night and at the airport now. You gotta stay 4 nights up here and hit up the waterfalls

Currently a member of the Roupies, and employed by the great man Roup.

Offline Penelope

• Internet nuffer and sooky jellyfish
  • RFC Hall of Fame
Nah, bullcrap it was a good article. It's just the typical sort of build 'em up, knock 'em down cliche that the media delights in when it comes to Richmond. They like to keep us in what they assume is our place, which is under everyone else's boot.
And as far as the loss goes, I'll say it 'til I'm blue in the face. We would have won if we'd played in Melbourne. The league wouldn't dare try this kind of garbage on Collingwood, and we shouldn't stand for it either.

On what basis do you draw that conclusion?
We lost to them in Melbourne last year, in cousins' last game with Docklands packed to the rafters with tiger heads,
while we belted them in Adelaide in game that was a big celebration for the Port football club.
“For My thoughts are not your thoughts,
Nor are your ways my ways,” says the Lord.

“For as the heavens are higher than the earth,
So are my ways higher than your ways,
And my thoughts than your thoughts."

Yahweh? or the great Clawski?

yaw rehto eht dellorcs ti fi daer ot reisae eb dluow tI

Offline WilliamPowell

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Better to ignore a fool than encourage one
    • One Eyed Richmond
where you stay?

we come up Thur night and at the airport now. You gotta stay 4 nights up here and hit up the waterfalls

I flew up Sat morning and came home yesterday afternoon

Stayed at the Mirambeena Resort (Travelodge) cheap in $$$ and in cheap in nature, unfortunately my first choice was booked out so I ended up staying where the rest of travelling mates stayed
"Oh yes I am a dreamer, I still see us flying high!"

from the song "Don't Walk Away" by Pat Benatar 1988 (Wide Awake In Dreamland)

Offline RollsRoyce

• RFC Hall of Fame
Okay WP let me spell it out for you. The AFL wants to grow the game in these far flung outposts, so they offer clubs who are over the barrel financially a big cash payout to sell off their home games. Yes, you can damn us for taking the bait, and I most definitely do.
But the AFL are a disgrace for putting us in that position in the first place. Would they do that to Collingwood? You bet your ass they wouldn't. And if they did Eddie would quite rightly spit in their eye, as we should have done.
This administration is just RIFE with inequity and compromise, with Collingwood being gifted 16 games at the G every year, never having to go to Geelong, and seldom travelling interstate. I was just told today that they will be given ALL their home games at the G next year, because Eddie jumped up and down about the 1 or 2 they got at Docklands.
In closing, I don't think it's too much to ask for EVERY team to be playing to the same rule book. But obviously Demetriou and a lot of people on this forum disagree.   

Offline DCrane

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Belle, Richmond PR manager
I couldnt believe what i was seeing at the ground. 5 minutes before the start Benny Gale walking over to the groundsman pointing toward the lights. Their mind was not focused even before the bounce.

The lights were out daniel, at that point no one had a clue if the game was going to start on time

He was actually doing his job as the most senior "NON" football person there, he wasn't playing so prior to the game who cares what Gale is doing

I care, if your president is out on the ground 5 minutes before the game starts, something is terribly wrong, it's not something you want to see. And yes if that's happening as a supporter I would like to know what's going on. I think even if we won there would have been a serious review of this whole debacle.

It's lucky for Benny that he has accrued a lot of credits with Tiger fans and I dare say that they will give him he benefit of the doubt on this.

I am more upset with what Caro reported on FC tonight, that selling our game to Cairns has cost us the ability to get 2 games against the Gold Coast this year, if that is true then the whole policy of selling off games has to go!

gerkin greg

Caro is making an assumption

Offline Smokey

• RFC Hall of Fame
Nah, bullcrap it was a good article. It's just the typical sort of build 'em up, knock 'em down cliche that the media delights in when it comes to Richmond. They like to keep us in what they assume is our place, which is under everyone else's boot.
And as far as the loss goes, I'll say it 'til I'm blue in the face. We would have won if we'd played in Melbourne. The league wouldn't dare try this kind of garbage on Collingwood, and we shouldn't stand for it either.

I often agree with your posts RR but I can't agree with you at all on this one.

Offline Smokey

• RFC Hall of Fame
Like i said positive is, it puts us in good stead against the Suns and next year in Darwin.

Well I know I'll be doing things very differently for my Darwin trip next year  :thumbsup

I'll be going up earlier, staying an extra day and chosing a much better hotel than the one I stayed at  ;D

where you stay?

Or do it my way - stay 5 nights with family, catch a footy match, a few beers with old mates, day's fishing on the Elizabeth River, quiet afternoon drinks at the Trailer Boat Club (spectacular sunset views if you stay late enough) - all for the price of food and drinks.   :cheers

Now if only I can convince my missus to move there..................................... :woohoo

Offline Smokey

• RFC Hall of Fame

I am more upset with what Caro reported on FC tonight, that selling our game to Cairns has cost us the ability to get 2 games against the Gold Coast this year, if that is true then the whole policy of selling off games has to go!

I would be more worried about it once we became a top side.  At present, it's just as important to improve our off-field position and selling games makes perfect sense while our team of kids learns about the game.  Even the extra travel now will bring good lessons for the future years when it really matters.

Offline WilliamPowell

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Better to ignore a fool than encourage one
    • One Eyed Richmond
I care, if your president is out on the ground 5 minutes before the game starts, something is terribly wrong, it's not something you want to see. And yes if that's happening as a supporter I would like to know what's going on. I think even if we won there would have been a serious review of this whole debacle.

It's lucky for Benny that he has accrued a lot of credits with Tiger fans and I dare say that they will give him he benefit of the doubt on this.

Gale is CEO not president and you are right he should have been out on the ground sorting out the fiasco of the lights

But him being out on the ground has absolutely no bearing on the team and its preparation, he's the CEO not a coach

Okay WP let me spell it out for you. The AFL wants to grow the game in these far flung outposts, so they offer clubs who are over the barrel financially a big cash payout to sell off their home games. Yes, you can damn us for taking the bait, and I most definitely do.
But the AFL are a disgrace for putting us in that position in the first place. Would they do that to Collingwood? You bet your ass they wouldn't. And if they did Eddie would quite rightly spit in their eye, as we should have done.
This administration is just RIFE with inequity and compromise, with Collingwood being gifted 16 games at the G every year, never having to go to Geelong, and seldom travelling interstate. I was just told today that they will be given ALL their home games at the G next year, because Eddie jumped up and down about the 1 or 2 they got at Docklands.
In closing, I don't think it's too much to ask for EVERY team to be playing to the same rule book. But obviously Demetriou and a lot of people on this forum disagree.   

"Putting us in the position "?  The offer was put to ALL clubs (FACT), the only ones who look at it are the ones who need the $$$. Sadly we fall into the category. The bulldogs have after a number of years turned their back on it. We made the choice to do the deal we live the consequences

As for Cairns got a newsflash for you that was an intiative of the RFC who then went to the AFL to get it OK'd - so is that the AFL's fault as well?

You blaming the AFL is a cop out. The AFL didnt' force us to sell the bloody game to Darwin. We did the deal end of story

Bottom line is whether you like to admit it or not with our recent history we are not in a position like the Pies to demand anything. Become a consistent winning team and we will be in that position but we aint there yet.

I agree there seems to be different rules for different fools and I am all for giving the AFL a kicking when it's deserved but on this debacle the AFL isn't to blame

"Oh yes I am a dreamer, I still see us flying high!"

from the song "Don't Walk Away" by Pat Benatar 1988 (Wide Awake In Dreamland)

Offline RollsRoyce

• RFC Hall of Fame

"Putting us in the position "?  The offer was put to ALL clubs (FACT), the only ones who look at it are the ones who need the $$$. Sadly we fall into the category. The bulldogs have after a number of years turned their back on it. We made the choice to do the deal we live the consequences

As for Cairns got a newsflash for you that was an intiative of the RFC who then went to the AFL to get it OK'd - so is that the AFL's fault as well?

You blaming the AFL is a cop out. The AFL didnt' force us to sell the bloody game to Darwin. We did the deal end of story

Bottom line is whether you like to admit it or not with our recent history we are not in a position like the Pies to demand anything. Become a consistent winning team and we will be in that position but we aint there yet.

I agree there seems to be different rules for different fools and I am all for giving the AFL a kicking when it's deserved but on this debacle the AFL isn't to blame

Well I don't believe the AFL should be putting this offer to ANY clubs full stop. It's another compromise in an already severely compromised fixture. If clubs need a bit of money now and again, it's up to the AFL to dish it out. They're rich enough and their money comes off the back of the players efforts and the fans wages. And it's not as if we're constantly going cap in hand to them. We have been recording operating profits for several years now, and the FTF is as much about keeping free agency at bay as anything (another great league initiative :banghead)  And as for us being in a similar position to the Pies before we receive the sort of perks they do, it's the old chicken and the egg story isn't it? Are Collingwood rewarded because they are strong, or is their position of strength derived from the continued leg up they get from the AFL? This has been going on for more years than I care to remember. Long before their drought breaking flag. In fact you could argue that with the armchair ride the AFL has been giving them for years, they should have won a string of flags. Sadly, it looks like they're about to.There is no doubt that the fixture is manipulated to keep Collingwood in the top four because they are the AFL's cash cow, and it stinks. We're all equal, but some are more equal than others.  

Edited to correct quote
« Last Edit: May 31, 2011, 08:23:38 PM by WilliamPowell »

Online Francois Jackson

• RFC Hall of Fame

where you stay?

Or do it my way - stay 5 nights with family, catch a footy match, a few beers with old mates, day's fishing on the Elizabeth River, quiet afternoon drinks at the Trailer Boat Club (spectacular sunset views if you stay late enough) - all for the price of food and drinks.   :cheers

Now if only I can convince my missus to move there..................................... :woohoo

we watched sunset though from the beach at those Sunday markets which was nice.

Its far from the lofty heights of the Santorini sunset , but its okay nonetheless

Drove up to Litchfield that was great but in all honestly Smokey i need a beach where i live and that thing you cant swim in so you might as well not have one.

Currently a member of the Roupies, and employed by the great man Roup.

Offline Smokey

• RFC Hall of Fame

we watched sunset though from the beach at those Sunday markets which was nice.

Its far from the lofty heights of the Santorini sunset , but its okay nonetheless

Drove up to Litchfield that was great but in all honestly Smokey i need a beach where i live and that thing you cant swim in so you might as well not have one.

Mindil Beach markets I'm guessing Daniel, good markets for a cosmopolitan feel and feed but a bit pricey for most craft and clothing stalls and very 'touristy' nowadays.  Sunsets are much better in the wet season but I'm sure there are better around (not been to Santorini so I can't comment).  I hear what you are saying about the beaches and there is no beach in Darwin that comes anywhere near the beaches in northern NSW and Qld but just on the can't swim bit - you can if you're brave enough!!   ;D  To be honest, the thing I like about Darwin more than anything else is the relaxed lifestyle - it really works for me at my current point in life.

Offline Penelope

• Internet nuffer and sooky jellyfish
  • RFC Hall of Fame
actually plenty of people swim at the beaches in the dry season. The wet season is stinger season so those with a bit of intelligence stay out then.

then there is the man made beach at waterfront precinct  :P

someone got bitten by a fish there last year though  :laugh:
“For My thoughts are not your thoughts,
Nor are your ways my ways,” says the Lord.

“For as the heavens are higher than the earth,
So are my ways higher than your ways,
And my thoughts than your thoughts."

Yahweh? or the great Clawski?

yaw rehto eht dellorcs ti fi daer ot reisae eb dluow tI

Hellenic Tiger

actually plenty of people swim at the beaches in the dry season. The wet season is stinger season so those with a bit of intelligence stay out then.

then there is the man made beach at waterfront precinct  :P

someone got bitten by a fish there last year though  :laugh:

I thought piranhas were only native to the Amazon. :lol :rollin :lol