Author Topic: Reluctant Tigers to keep selling games: March (Age & H-Sun)  (Read 2649 times)

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
Reluctant Tigers to keep selling games
Caroline Wilson
May 31, 2011

RICHMOND president Gary March said he looked forward to the day his club was no longer forced to sell home games outside Victoria but added the Tigers "would not have won in a car park" the way they played on Saturday night.

March was bitterly disappointed with Richmond's unexpected loss to Port Adelaide, but refused to blame the result — which cost the young team a place in the eight — on the unfamiliar conditions at Darwin's TIO Stadium.

"Until we get our financial position rectified it's inevitable we're going to have to sell games," he said.

"Do we want to sell home games interstate? In an ideal world we don't. But I don't think if we'd played that game anywhere we would have won it the way we played. We put ourselves in a position to make the eight and we let ourselves down."

Last week Richmond was the toast of the competition after its impressive victory over the highly fancied Essendon in front of more than 83,000 at the MCG for the annual Dreamtime clash. One week later it moves into the club's first bye for 2011 having conceded a scrappy loss to the struggling Port Adelaide in a miserable night for both the club and the under-equipped stadium, where two light towers failed before the game and during half-time, with the game at one stage almost called off.

The Tigers have one more year on their contract with the Northern Territory government and will host Port at the stadium again next season. The three-year deal — which also involves Melbourne — will ultimately reap the club $1 million for two games.

The Richmond board is understood to have been divided over the decision to sell a further home game each year for the next three seasons to play the Gold Coast in Cairns in another major financial boost for the club, which still remains $2.5 million in debt. The deal with Gold Coast meant the 2011 fixture was rearranged so that Richmond now plays the Suns only once — in Cairns in late July — rather than once at the Gabba early in the season and once in Melbourne.

"If we don't sell those games we don't sufficiently fund the footy department," said March. "All the dollars we are making we are investing straight into footy, and we make no excuses. We stand by our decision because it allows us to improve our football department in terms of personnel and salary cap spending.

"You've got to win games wherever, whatever and as a young side we've got to come to terms with this. We can't be clutching at straws to make the eight. If we're good enough to make the eight we will. On Saturday night we didn't play with nearly enough intensity and we couldn't put the score on the board when we had momentum. St Kilda travelled as far as we did on the weekend and won a game people thought it would lose."

March would not commit to Darwin beyond next season, simply pointing out: "It's well documented we were, up until recently, the club with the lowest return per person through the gate with our stadium deals. That's the problem with the system. Everything else, sponsorship, membership, is a competition between the clubs and all is fair in love and war, but there's probably seven or eight of us clubs without a clean stadium and who didn't come into new home stadiums and get positive new deals who do a lot worse than the others.

"We know the AFL is looking at a more equal distribution of funds and hopefully that will be rectified next year."

http://www.theage.com.au/afl/afl-news/reluctant-tigers-to-keep-selling-games-20110530-1fcri.html#ixzz1Nqea5wNK

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
Gary March disappointed by loss to Port Adelaide (Herald-Sun)
« Reply #1 on: May 31, 2011, 01:15:27 AM »
Richmond president Gary March disappointed by loss to Port Adelaide

Jon Ralph
    May 31, 2011

RICHMOND president Gary March has labelled the Darwin loss to Port Adelaide as the most disappointing defeat in Damien Hardwick's two years at Punt Rd.

March said the Tigers would not have beaten Port "in a carpark" after conjecture about Richmond selling a home game interstate.

A furious March said Richmond was determined to get into a financial position where it never had to sell home games again.

But he said that was no excuse for the players to drop a game to a side that had won only one game before Saturday's clash.

"We could have played the game in a carpark and we would have been beaten the way we played," March said.

"It is as bad as we have played under Damien.

"It was the most disappointing game, and the most disappointed Damien has felt, because we are in really good form and to play that way is not reflective of the way we have been playing.

"We have gone on the record as saying when we are in a position where we don't have to sell games, we never will, but we cannot say it has anything to do with the result.

"The players were poor and they are bitterly disappointed. They had worked so hard to get into a decent position and now they are back in the middle of the pack.

"It's not an ability thing or a conditions thing. I don't subscribe to that rubbish."

After the bye, Richmond must bounce back with away games against Sydney and Brisbane, with another sold home game against the Gold Coast in Cairns in Round 17.

March says the fortnight of interstate football after the bye was the perfect chance for the players to atone.

"We want to play finals footy whether it's this year or next year, and if we are going to play finals footy, we have to win games in Darwin and Perth and Brisbane and Sydney," he said.

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/afl/richmond-president-gary-march-disappointed-by-loss-to-port-adelaide/story-e6frf9jf-1226065947495

Offline The Big Richo

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Keyboard Hero
Re: Gary March disappointed by loss to Port Adelaide (Herald-Sun)
« Reply #2 on: May 31, 2011, 09:17:14 AM »

And this is why Gary March should be seen and not heard.
Who isn't a fan of the thinking man's orange Tim Fleming?

Gerks 27/6/11

But you see, it's not me, it's not my family.
In your head, in your head they are fighting,
With their tanks and their bombs,
And their bombs and their guns.
In your head, in your head, they are crying...

Jackstar is back again

Re: Reluctant Tigers to keep selling games: March (Age & H-Sun)
« Reply #3 on: May 31, 2011, 09:23:22 AM »
is gary still president ?

Online cub

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • "Tigertime!"
    • bantigertrade
« Reply #4 on: May 31, 2011, 09:57:35 AM »

Why?

I have to agree with everything he says, short term pain! We have to look at the bigger picture, I am sure all tigerheads dislike it as much as us, just a neccessary evil atm ....

5 years down the track it will be seen as the saviour of the club and we will all have a strong/competitive team to follow for the rest of our lives. Other clubs may not be so fortunate.

Offline Smokey

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #5 on: May 31, 2011, 10:20:34 AM »

Don't agree TBR.  I thought it was the perfect time for the President to come out and put the blame fairly and squarely on the shoulders of the players and (to a lesser extent) the coaching group.  They needed a rocket after their effort Sat night and coming from the President will have an extra impact.  You wouldn't like to see him trot out an opinion every second week but in speaking up this week he has ensured the players know that no-one internally is going to let them get away with any bullsh1t excuses about conditions or home games.  Turn up to play and you will win most games - pretty simple tactic that our kids forgot/learnt in Darwin.

Offline The Big Richo

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Keyboard Hero
« Reply #6 on: May 31, 2011, 11:31:52 AM »
I just don't like seeing a bloke come out and speak publically in an official role about the football aspect of our club when he clearly based on this and previous comments knows next to nothing about the game.

If he seriously thinks that is the worst we have played under Hardwick then he lives in a gumdrop house on lollypop lane.

He needs to stick to administration.

Gerks 27/6/11

Offline WilliamPowell

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Better to ignore a fool than encourage one
    • One Eyed Richmond
« Reply #7 on: May 31, 2011, 11:38:03 AM »
I just don't like seeing a bloke come out and speak publically in an official role about the football aspect of our club when he clearly based on this and previous comments knows next to nothing about the game.

If he seriously thinks that is the worst we have played under Hardwick then he lives in a gumdrop house on lollypop lane.

He needs to stick to administration.

I think the message is right TBR perhaps the words weren't

I would think based on our recent results and how much improvement we've shown this season TBR it was a very ordinary result and that's the point March was making.

You go into a game against a club that's considered a rabble and you are considered a good developing side and dish up what we dished up then it feels like it's the worst loss in ages

And I have to say driving back to the hotel after the game I felt it was our worst performance for a long long time because everything we had been getting right was no where to be seen 
"Oh yes I am a dreamer, I still see us flying high!"

from the song "Don't Walk Away" by Pat Benatar 1988 (Wide Awake In Dreamland)

Offline The Big Richo

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Keyboard Hero
« Reply #8 on: May 31, 2011, 11:39:41 AM »
Yep, agree WP, but I reckon in this instance the message would be better coming from Gale.

Gerks 27/6/11

Offline Infamy

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • For We're From Tigerland
« Reply #9 on: May 31, 2011, 11:41:48 AM »
I think he's right and it was the worst we'd played under Hardwick, especially when you put it into perspective
Sure we played worse in Rounds 1-9 in 2010, but that was a new gameplan to what was almost half of a new team, that is understandable
I'd suspect that we played about as bad as we did against Port as we did against Hawthorn, but in the Port game we were lucky that we were playing the worst side in the competition where as Hawthorn are a Top 4 contender

Yep, agree WP, but I reckon in this instance the message would be better coming from Gale.
Why? It came from the top, why should it have come from a step or two down from there?
You also need to consider that it was a journalist asking March questions about the game in Darwin, if they are asking March and not Benny then its pretty straight forward who the comments will be credited to

Offline Smokey

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #10 on: May 31, 2011, 11:43:30 AM »

Now there's someone who it definitely shouldn't come from.  Benny's role as the senior paid employee of the board should be kept free from public comments about the performance of the team - good or bad.

Offline WilliamPowell

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Better to ignore a fool than encourage one
    • One Eyed Richmond
« Reply #11 on: May 31, 2011, 11:47:45 AM »

Nah disagree

Gale is the CEO (read Admin ;D) and he is the one that has worn the "badge" of selling the game in the first place. And let's be honest he's the one who's been copping it from supporters for selling the game

The President by speaking has indirectly gone into bat for his CEO who's copping it and as smokey mentioned has as the holder of the absolute top postion of this Club put responsibility squarely back on the footy department

I reckon March has shown very good leadership here
"Oh yes I am a dreamer, I still see us flying high!"

from the song "Don't Walk Away" by Pat Benatar 1988 (Wide Awake In Dreamland)

10 FLAGS

« Reply #12 on: May 31, 2011, 11:49:47 AM »

Nah disagree

Gale is the CEO (read Admin ;D) and he is the one that has worn the "badge" of selling the game in the first place. And let's be honest he's the one who's been copping it from supporters for selling the game

The President by speaking has indirectly gone into bat for his CEO who's copping it and as smokey mentioned has as the holder of the absolute top postion of this Club put responsibility squarely back on the footy department

I didnt see March or Gale trying to short circuit the lights at half time. That would have been real leadership  ;D

Offline Smokey

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #13 on: May 31, 2011, 12:28:48 PM »

I didnt see March or Gale trying to short circuit the lights at half time. That would have been real leadership  ;D

:lol

Online Tiger Tragic

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #14 on: May 31, 2011, 02:19:10 PM »

Nah disagree

I didnt see March or Gale trying to short circuit the lights at half time. That would have been real leadership  ;D

Problem is, we were actually leading at half time.