Author Topic: thoughts on Shultz at CHB...  (Read 3511 times)

blx

thoughts on Shultz at CHB...
« on: February 13, 2005, 02:38:30 PM »
i've been negative at shultz being groomed as a future CHB for us but i'm slowly being swayed to think otherwise.

His marking is sound and he has got a abit of mongrel about him too, which at CHB is mandatory.

He probobly just scrapes in height wise and who knows he might still grow a tiny bit more. He also shows great agility for his size so in a way he he plays taller than he actually is. Remember his horizontal mark against the Lions ;)

The downside to him playing CHB is that he is a terrific shot at goal but his ability to guide a kick well (unlike gas for instance) will be significantly welcomed down back.

Terry has shown a crystal ball gaze by informing Shultz right from the outset of his intentions. This gives Shultz a definate direction and will allow him to focus and learn the position over time. Being in the enviable position of having to train against one of the competions top forwards week in week out in Richo can only serve to improve his game. Sure he'll get done most of the time but he'll learn what it takes to do the job right quickly because of his grounding against Richo.

Having Gas around the club will also help the understudy learn the tricks of the trade.

His aerobic capacity and his inability to find the ball alot will be things he needs to improve but i'm startin to think that this could be a masterstroke by TW but only time will answer that.

Offline JohnF

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • ROFLMAO
Re: thoughts on Shultz at CHB...
« Reply #1 on: February 13, 2005, 04:54:14 PM »
Yeah Blxenburgstein, I really think Schulz is a talented player, he can mark well, tackle well, his kicking aint bad, doesn't mind some rough stuff and I expect him to step up this year.

The one thing that really worries me about him though is that I think he is mentally weak. I don't think he always gets the most out of himself and gives up a little too easily sometimes in contests. He seems to be somewhat lazy and goes missing for long stretches whilst on the ground.

Hopefully playing in the heat of the battle at CHB will sharpen him up and force him to raise his game and be engaged 100% of the time.

Would also like to see him increase his endurance and get bigger by doing more weight work. Still a little thin for my liking. Hopefully in 2006 he comes out tanked.

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
« Reply #2 on: February 13, 2005, 07:58:19 PM »
Good post blx.

We are pretty thin in key position backman so the opportunity was there to send Sarge down to CHB as another option to oldies Gas, Kellaway and now Graham. If he learns pretty quickly and shows enough this year to hold down CHB then he might stay down there for good. So far none of our young talls have been able to contain Richo.

IMO Sarge appears more as a forward so at CHB he'll learn from the best forwards in the game the workrate required and where he has to run and lead to. He's still fairly raw but improving and Spud like he did with so many of our young blokes didn't let him settle and learn a single position  :banghead. I think that's the main reason why he went missing for long periods in games. That game against Brissy he was started at FF and allowed to stay there for the whole game as Richo was injured.
All you touch and all you see is all your life will ever be - Pink Floyd

Offline WilliamPowell

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Better to ignore a fool than encourage one
    • One Eyed Richmond
« Reply #3 on: February 13, 2005, 10:17:51 PM »
I think it is agood move by Tezza to give the kid one position and more importantly tell him he is the CHB full time. IMO he is a good siize for KPP about 6ft 4" in the old scale, probably needs a few more kgs though - remember he is only going to be 20 this year. We need to groom a young bloke.

The other advantage I see is that he could learn a fair bit about playing as a CHF by having to play on the competitions best CHFs (eg Tredrea, Brown even Hird if Sheeds plays him there) this has to help him he if in the future, he is moved forward whether that be as FF or CHF.

The one thing that really worries me about him though is that I think he is mentally weak. I don't think he always gets the most out of himself and gives up a little too easily sometimes in contests. He seems to be somewhat lazy and goes missing for long stretches whilst on the ground.

Fair point JohnF but I wonder how much that has to do with 1) the previous coaching staff, which resulted in 2) having little or no confidence as a result of getting thumped week after week and or getting ignored by your team mates when you made a lead (as happened a number of times in 2004) because of this strange fixation we had of "kick it to Richo".
 :banghead
"Oh yes I am a dreamer, I still see us flying high!"

from the song "Don't Walk Away" by Pat Benatar 1988 (Wide Awake In Dreamland)

Offline Rodgerramjet

• OER - CONTRIBUTOR
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Never cast pearls before swine.
« Reply #4 on: February 14, 2005, 12:00:41 AM »
Great opportunity for Shultz to learn more about the game at CHB, he's only 20 and I see him developing into a Scotty Lucas type role where he can play forward or back and be damaging. He will learn a lot about CHF by playing CHB and I can see him moving to CHF a little latter down the track. Thursfeild will probably end up as fullback If he develops and we need to find another young tall for the CHB position to take over from shultz when he makes the move forward.
The lips of Wisdom are closed, except to the ears of Understanding.

Offline bluey_21

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Road Runner
« Reply #5 on: February 15, 2005, 08:09:05 PM »
At least Shultz isn't as lanky as Hall, he's got pretty good hand eye coordination, in a couple of years he should be leading a sound defence

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
« Reply #6 on: February 16, 2005, 04:00:37 PM »
At least Shultz isn't as lanky as Hall, he's got pretty good hand eye coordination

Out of the two, Sarge doesn't surprise us when he holds onto a mark lol.

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
« Reply #7 on: February 19, 2005, 01:43:09 AM »
Poor Sarge  :'(.  Broken ankle!

Sheesh that's him at least 2 months out  :(. Although he didn't do much our backline at KPs is weak enough as it is  :help.
« Last Edit: February 19, 2005, 02:08:23 AM by mightytiges »

Offline JohnF

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • ROFLMAO
« Reply #8 on: February 19, 2005, 05:06:51 AM »
 :banghead  :banghead  :banghead  :banghead

Hopefully he spends the next two months under a bench press and comes out hulked. A chance for an extended preseason.

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
Sarge out for at least 12 weeks
« Reply #9 on: February 20, 2005, 05:32:06 AM »
Schulz out for 12 with fracture
20 February 2005   
Sunday Herald Sun
By SCOT PALMER

RICHMOND'S big man stocks have slumped with the loss of Jay Schulz for up to 12 weeks with a broken ankle.

Schulz was taken by Tiger doctor Greg Hickey to Epworth hospital during the second quarter of the match against Collingwood after the defender landed awkwardly from a mark.

X-rays revealed a break inside the ankle, which will require surgery and a pin to be inserted.

Schulz will enter hospital tomorrow and, according to Richmond football manager Paul Armstrong, will be sidelined for between 10 and 12 weeks.

New coach Terry Wallace had earmarked Schulz as one of his key defenders this season, but was heartened earlier in the day by the form of another tall, Ray Hall, playing for Richmond's VFL affiliate, Coburg.

http://www.heraldsun.news.com.au/footy/common/story_page/0,8033,12307495%255E19771,00.html

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
Re: Sarge out for at least 12 weeks
« Reply #10 on: February 20, 2005, 05:39:53 AM »
X-rays revealed a break inside the ankle, which will require surgery and a pin to be inserted.

Sounds like a nasty one that will basically write off Sarge's season :(. Main thing now is he hopefully makes a full recovery.

We're going to have to rely on last year's defence  :help to get through 2005. Graham and Jackson, both not KP backmen, aren't the answer either. Maybe Moore will be asked to step up.

« Last Edit: February 20, 2005, 05:52:32 AM by mightytiges »

Offline WilliamPowell

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One Eyed Richmond
« Reply #11 on: February 20, 2005, 12:46:29 PM »
I actually thought ihe was doing OK - could tell he was learning as he went along but I was doing OK.

I actually see this a big opportunity to for Morrison - there is position up for grabs - let's see who wants it. The only 3 oiptions I see at the moment are Morrison, Hall  :help and Moore.

Offline WilliamPowell

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One Eyed Richmond
With Sarge Out: Tigers weigh up key defensive options
« Reply #12 on: February 22, 2005, 12:56:08 PM »
Tigers weigh up key defensive options

10:57:50 AM Tue 22 February, 2005
Tony Greenberg
richmondfc.com.au

Richmond coach Terry Wallace is keeping his options open with regards to a replacement at centre half-back for Jay Schulz, who will be out of action for the next 8-10 weeks with a broken ankle.

Wallace had earmarked the 19-year-old for the Tigers’ key defensive post this year, and liked what he saw of him in last Friday night’s Wizard Cup opener against Collingwood at Telstra Dome, before the serious injury occurred.

“Look, he was only just learning the role . . . the disappointing factor is that I thought he was really impacting on others down there when he was on the ground,” Wallace said.

“He was able to come three-deep on probably four or five occasions to help out players like Jackson and Gaspar in their particular roles. When he was off the ground, in the last quarter, all of a sudden the floodgates opened a little bit and we were more exposed.

“So, he was very, very handy back there and now we’ve just got to teach other players the same message that we’ve been teaching him over the pre-season.”

Players such as Andrew Kellaway, Ray Hall and Shane Morrison will all come into calculations to fill the void at centre half-back in Schulz’s absence.

“Obviously, we’ve just got to see who we think can hold down the position until Jay returns . . . We’ll give a few other blokes an opportunity there and see who grabs it.

“Andrew Kellaway’s played there a lot in the past, although I suppose it’s not necessarily where we are going for the future. I think Jay’s still where we’re going for the future at centre half-back, but in the short term Andy is certainly capable of holding down the spot.

“Both Ray Hall and Shane Morrison will also be given their opportunity to play there over a period of time and we’ll just see how they step up to the mark . . .”

Wallace believes Schulz needs to turn his extended period on the sidelines into a positive.

“Every player gets major injuries at some stage of his career. I think the thing with Jay is that he now looks to spend even more time trying to develop his body, so that he comes back nice and strong when he’s ready to play again,” Wallace said.

http://richmondfc.com.au/default.asp?pg=news&spg=display&articleid=186368

Offline WilliamPowell

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One Eyed Richmond
Re: With Sarge Out: Tigers weigh up key defensive options
« Reply #13 on: February 22, 2005, 12:58:32 PM »
I think the thing with Jay is that he now looks to spend even more time trying to develop his body, so that he comes back nice and strong when he’s ready to play again,” Wallace said.

http://richmondfc.com.au/default.asp?pg=news&spg=display&articleid=186368

I think most of our poster will agree with that  :cheers

Ox

« Reply #14 on: February 22, 2005, 04:32:19 PM »
Put Jay on the Juice TW. :thumbsup