Author Topic: 2011 Draft thread [merged]  (Read 41126 times)

Ox

Re: 2011 Draft thread
« Reply #120 on: October 30, 2011, 02:45:42 AM »
it is so good to have you here oxx. i missed you.

may the prayers not effect you. go all in my friend

Been on a Steely Dan tour.

Wonderful to see such camp delusion alive and strong amongst the ranks of mice and men.

Edit: fixed quote
« Last Edit: October 30, 2011, 05:11:08 AM by one-eyed »

Offline tiga

• Exhaling Carbon in the
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Yes Hampson has taken a mark!
« Reply #121 on: October 30, 2011, 04:24:33 PM »
I know everyone has been talking mids mids mids, but If Sam Docherty can slip to 15 I'd take him in a heartbeat. I would groom him for Deledio's spot in the backline and thus freeing up Lids to play midfield or forward. He's an elite kick and he would provide plenty of dash off the backline.

Morris/Astbury Grimes Newman
Batch Rance Docherty

Would make for a really solid backline  :thumbsup

Offline Penelope

• Internet nuffer and sooky jellyfish
  • RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #122 on: October 30, 2011, 04:39:06 PM »
Why is docherty pigeon holed as a HBF. He seems to have the attributes to play as a mid?
“For My thoughts are not your thoughts,
Nor are your ways my ways,” says the Lord.

“For as the heavens are higher than the earth,
So are my ways higher than your ways,
And my thoughts than your thoughts."

Yahweh? or the great Clawski?

yaw rehto eht dellorcs ti fi daer ot reisae eb dluow tI

Offline Coach

• Hardly A Prude
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Depend on Schulzy
« Reply #123 on: October 30, 2011, 05:02:53 PM »
People always talk about freeing Deledio up to play midfield. If he was such a star in the middle then that's where he would be. We've already got others who can play off half back but the coaches seem to love Lids  across half back.

Offline big tone

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #124 on: October 30, 2011, 06:06:21 PM »
Is that team too short? Geelong Scarlett. Longeran. Taylor. Mackie.

Why play batch as the 3rd tall when you can have astbury or post.
Them houli and or Newman to the middle.

Chb. Rance
fb. Grimes.
3rd. Astbury or Post
shut down back pocket. Morris.
Rebound. Newman. + batch

Might be more balance back 6 if one of the kids kick on.

Or Kelvin Moore. Inhope not mcgaune.

Really think we should target genuine mids only in this draft. No more skinny wingman/flanker types. We have enough bits and pieces types like Conners, Dea, Edwards, Grigg, Helbig, Houli,  King, MacDonald, Morris, Nahas, Newman, Webberley and White. And none of those can really go into the midfield and make a differnce.

We have Cotch, Lids, Dusty, Foley and hopefully Conca that can be as good as any going around but after that it is made up of those bits and pieces types and Jackson and Tuck. In the perfect world we will never see Jackson ever again!!!

Our list seems to have enough KPP at present in Astbury, Gourdis (who i think will step up this year with a little more gametime), Griffiths, Grimes, McGuane, Miller, Moore, Post, Rance, Riewoldt and Vickery. Would rookie another one or two.

In terms of Ruckman we have- Maric, Gus, Browne, Derickx and even Vickery. So just need to rookie one or two.

My side for round 1 would look something like this

Batch(to play as the third tall)     Grimes   Morris(to play on small forward)
Newman   Rance    Houli
Nahas    Foley   Conca
Martin    Griffiths    Edwards/King after round 1
Vickery  Riewoldt    Pick 15(mid)

Maric   Cotch   Lids

Pick 26(mid)   Tuck   Grigg   Conners

So rotating through the middle would be- Cotch, Lids, Foley   then    Martin, Pick 15, Tuck, Grigg, Conca, Pick 26 and even Newman.

The side is starting to have some real size and class. Still needs a few up gardes but definatelly getting there.  :gotigers
I wouldn't play Astbury or Post as the third tall because they are both average footballers and that's being nice. IMO both will struggle to get a game if we don't get many injuries. Both guys cannot defend to save themselves... Just my oppinion but happy to be proven wrong.

Offline big tone

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #125 on: October 30, 2011, 06:09:17 PM »

In terms of Ruckman we have- Maric, Gus, Browne, Derickx and even Vickery. So just need to rookie one or two.

What does that even mean ????? :o
Sorry mate, means we should rookie another couple of young ruckmen and leave the rest on the list for another year to fight it out.

Offline big tone

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #126 on: October 30, 2011, 06:16:59 PM »
Really think we should target genuine mids only in this draft. No more skinny wingman/flanker types. We have enough bits and pieces types like Conners, Dea, Edwards, Grigg, Helbig, Houli,  King, MacDonald, Morris, Nahas, Newman, Webberley and White. And none of those can really go into the midfield and make a differnce.

Bit tough on Helbig BT.  Not sure that he's had enough exposure yet to say what he is or isn't capable of and nothing to suggest he can't make it as a mid.  And I wouldn't like to pigeon-hole Morris or Grigg just yet.  But, having said that I agree with your opinion of targeting "genuine mids" - that's were our future and 'salvation' lies.
Yer agree on Helbig not having had enough exposure just yet but he just doesn't seem to have much more going for him than just being hard at it. Time will tell and would be wrapped to be wrong. Fingers crossed!

Offline MADTIGER2010

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #127 on: October 31, 2011, 11:44:05 AM »
Markworth sounds pretty good. Midfielder/forward. We need a classy small-mid sized forward and a midfielder. I reckon we should go for a ruckman too

Offline WA Tiger

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • For We're From Tigerland
« Reply #128 on: October 31, 2011, 09:41:35 PM »
I know everyone has been talking mids mids mids, but If Sam Docherty can slip to 15 I'd take him in a heartbeat. I would groom him for Deledio's spot in the backline and thus freeing up Lids to play midfield or forward. He's an elite kick and he would provide plenty of dash off the backline.

Morris/Astbury Grimes Newman
Batch Rance Docherty

Would make for a really solid backline  :thumbsup

Agree 100%, this guy would be a coup if if slipped down to 15... :thumbsup

I will be peeed if he goes at 14 though.. ;D
DIMMA - You will be held ACCOUNTABLE...

“We are really excited about what we have brought in. We have got great depth of players that can take us where we need to go. We are just putting some cream on the top at the moment,” he said.

"Rucks:
Shaun Hampson is the No.1 man"

dwaino

« Reply #129 on: October 31, 2011, 10:59:29 PM »
Finally went and checked out Docherty's highlight real and the interview thingmybob. KEENE. Just what we're after  :pray

Offline Willy

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • All up inside ya.
« Reply #130 on: November 01, 2011, 01:15:28 PM »
. Just what we're after  :pray

What another back flanker?

this kid looks a good prospect but we desperately need quality inside mids. We have to replace Tuck and Jackson ASAP.

dwaino

« Reply #131 on: November 01, 2011, 05:05:24 PM »
. Just what we're after  :pray

What another back flanker?

this kid looks a good prospect but we desperately need quality inside mids. We have to replace Tuck and Jackson ASAP.

Who says he has to spend his career at HB? Has the qualities of a mid or can free up other blokes to play mid.

Offline Willy

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • All up inside ya.
« Reply #132 on: November 01, 2011, 06:09:34 PM »

Who says he has to spend his career at HB? Has the qualities of a mid or can free up other blokes to play mid.

I take your point. But all the discussion about him suggests that he is a classy flanker/ outside midfielder. I just really think we need a genuine inside mid with a strong body and good skills that can play a bit outside too - Selwood style.
We have enough outside distributors now, Conca, Houli, Newman, Deledio.
The reason Tuck and Jackson still get a game is because we have no quality young ball-winners coming through.
Cotchin shoulders far too much of our contested game. We will run him into the ground by the time he is 27, at this rate.

i know Im sounding like a broken record, so i will shut up now.  ;D

Online torch

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • 28YrM&8YrMRC 🏆🏆🏆 ‘17, ‘19-‘20; 2 x Attendee 🐯
« Reply #133 on: November 01, 2011, 08:47:11 PM »
when is draft day?

gerkin greg

« Reply #134 on: November 01, 2011, 10:16:05 PM »
it was today

you missed it flog