Author Topic: Andrew Krakouer threads [merged]  (Read 66049 times)

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
Tambling and Leon Davis remain in regular contact with Andrew Krakouer (H-Sun)
« Reply #525 on: February 26, 2009, 12:01:34 AM »
Leon Davis says jailed Andrew Krakouer is still his mate
Jon Ralph | February 26, 2009

While Ben Cousins' Richmond debut will capture the limelight at Telstra Dome tonight, Leon Davis will continue to pay tribute to close friend and jailed ex-Tiger Andrew Krakouer.

In a rare interview, Davis yesterday revealed he and Richmond's Richard Tambling were in regular contact with Krakouer, who was jailed in July for four years for serious assault.

Davis honoured Krakouer in September after talking to him on the phone before the elimination final against Adelaide at AAMI Stadium.

After kicking a goal, Davis lifted his wrists as though handcuffed, a salute to his friend.

While the football world's focus has switched to Cousins, another Perth boy once in trouble with the law, Davis says Krakouer may be out of jail as early as this year.

Tonight, on-field rivals Davis and Tambling will continue to honour Krakouer by doing what they know best: displaying their wondrous indigenous talent.

Davis speaks with Krakouer every week, and said he was bearing up well in prison.

"He is a really good mate of mine. Even though we are both from West Australia, I met him over here and went from there," Davis said.

"We hung out a lot, just doing the same things.

"He gives me a phone call once a week and we chat about how he's going and how I am going. He's going really good in there. He's not too bad.

"He's making the best of it. It was pretty unfortunate what happened to him."

A placid, popular player with two young daughters, Krakouer was at Richmond when he became involved in a long-running family feud in December 2006.

Back in Perth in the off-season, he and brother Tyrone assaulted a man so badly the man ended up in a coma.

In July, Krakouer was found guilty of assault with intent to cause bodily harm. His minimum term of 16 months expires at the end of November.

"Hopefully he gets out soon and can move on," Davis said.

"He keeps in contact with most of the boys, like Richard Tambling. All of his mates he still calls regularly."

Davis is yet to visit him, but hoped to soon.

Krakouer was recently moved from the maximum security Albany prison, 400km south of Perth, to Acacia prison, 50km east of Perth and halfway to Davis's home town of Northam.

Davis's handcuffs tribute in September came after Krakouer phoned him just before the Magpies ran out against the Crows.

He said Krakouer saw it and was blown away.

"The funny thing was he rang me and we were just warming up for the game," Davis said.

"I answered my phone and just then everyone started warming up in the changerooms.

"I had a bit of a chat to him, then said, 'I have to go', and he started apologising and said he didn't know we were playing.

"So I said, 'I will do something for you today if I kick a goal'. I didn't think much of it and then a week later he rang me and said he loved it."

http://www.news.com.au/heraldsun/sport/afl/story/0,26576,25107430-19742,00.html

Offline Francois Jackson

• RFC Hall of Fame
Re: Andrew Krakouer found guilty of assault [merged]
« Reply #526 on: February 26, 2009, 02:34:56 PM »
iIthought it was a bull poo article by an idiot in davis

Anyone who classifies Krackour as a mate deserves to be ridiculed in the public forum.

Krackour is a thug and is one of the reasons why this world is so messed up. a fu.ckin loser actually who like his other thug mates should be locked up for life.

This country doesn't need his type maybe after he gets out of jail he can go hang out with his other thug mates and sniff petrol or something.
Currently a member of the Roupies, and employed by the great man Roup.

Ox

« Reply #527 on: February 26, 2009, 03:30:16 PM »
I have mates who have been to jail and I stick by them whether i condone what they have done or not.

That's what being a mate is about.

Glad i don't have any ,"mates" like you champ!!

Ox

« Reply #528 on: February 26, 2009, 03:31:04 PM »
fwiw,i hate Leon Davis also.

Offline Francois Jackson

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #529 on: February 26, 2009, 10:24:32 PM »
I have mates who have been to jail and I stick by them whether i condone what they have done or not.

That's what being a mate is about.

Glad i don't have any ,"mates" like you champ!!

thats fine each to their own but im sick of thugs like him roaming the streets just punching people because they feel like it.

Best thing they did was lock him up. Next thing they should do is throw away the key
Currently a member of the Roupies, and employed by the great man Roup.

Online Chuck17

• The Shaun Grugg of OER
  • RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #530 on: February 27, 2009, 01:27:56 PM »
thats fine each to their own but im sick of thugs like him roaming the streets just punching people because they feel like it.

I am not too sure of the actual circumstances and history of AK, but wasn't this a one-off that he committed, I don't think your description of AK as an serial assualter really applies in this case.  Not that it in anyway excuses his actions BTW.

Offline cub

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • "Tigertime!"
    • bantigertrade
« Reply #531 on: February 27, 2009, 01:46:00 PM »
From what I seem to of heard along the way, wasn't it a bit of eye for an eye type of stuff (Tribal law as you may).

And when the biatch got his back, as usually is the case with these types that talk the talk ! When it comes to the crunch squeal like little biatches ....  :help

Don't think Andy was the type that walked the street looking for trouble.

My perception only though

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
Footy a release for Krakouer (Inside Football)
« Reply #532 on: April 08, 2009, 06:42:35 PM »
Footy a release for Krakouer
Crackers Keenan | Inside Football

It has been well documented that Andrew Krakouer has been incarcerated in Western Australia after being found guilty of assault charges. The authorities allowed him to play in a local Sunday competition last week and, playing in midfield, he kicked 11 goals. Swan Districts, which has been very supportive of him during his time in jail, has a place waiting for him when he is released in the middle of the year. Over the years there have been numerous footballers who have gone to jail, been released at weekends and starred in local competitions. Although I do recall the famous story of one who jumped the fence at the end of a game and escaped. Years ago I took some players from a prison team for a training run at Tatura. I hope Krakouer comes out and resumes his footy with Swan Districts as he still has something to offer.

http://insidefootballonline.com/crackers.html

Offline Fishfinger

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • You can't put brains in an idiot
Re: Footy a release for Krakouer (Inside Football)
« Reply #533 on: April 08, 2009, 06:50:27 PM »
Years ago I took some players from a prison team for a training run at Tatura.
Probably the psych wing if Crackers was there.
It's 50 of one and half a dozen of the other - Don Scott

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #534 on: May 26, 2009, 01:32:49 PM »
Footballer Andrew Krakouer let out to lead prison team
Chris Leitch
May 26, 2009

JAILED former Richmond footballer Andrew Krakouer is let out of Wooroloo prison on weekends to play in the prison's football team.
Krakouer's team is so good its average winning margin is 154 points - and his weekend games are all in the name of rehabilitation.

Krakouer, who played 102 games for the Tigers before being jailed for a minimum 16 months last year for a brutal assault outside a Fremantle nightclub in 2006, is proving to be the star of the team of inmates that is undefeated in the suburban Mercantile Football League.

The Wooroloo Bombers are so good, in fact, they are yet to score less than 151 points in a single game.

Prison recreation officer Dave Brown said there were several players who would "walk into WAFL football, they are that good".

The Bombers are one of several prison sporting teams allowed out on weekends to compete in local competitions.

Inmates must satisfy stringent security checks and display exemplary behaviour before they can be considered to play football, basketball or soccer outside the prison gates.

http://www.news.com.au/perthnow/story/0,27574,25539362-2761,00.html

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
Anger as Krakouer is let out of jail to play footy (Australian)
« Reply #535 on: May 27, 2009, 04:19:15 AM »
Anger as Krakouer is let out of jail to play footy
Amanda O'Brien | May 27, 2009

DISGRACED former AFL footballer Andrew Krakouer -- who was jailed last year for a vicious assault -- has been leaving prison at weekends to play football in a suburban competition.

West Australian prison authorities yesterday defended letting the former Richmond forward and son of North Melbourne AFL player and convicted drug trafficker, Jimmy Krakouer, leave jail to star in the prison football team, the Wooroloo Bombers.

The team is undefeated in the local Mercantile league and has never scored fewer than 151 points in a game.

Krakouer, 26, played 102 AFL games for Richmond before being delisted in 2007.

He was jailed for 32 months last July and ordered to serve at least 16 months behind bars for what judge Kate O'Brien called a vicious and cowardly attack on 24-year-old Justin Martin.

The attack, for which his brother Tyrone Krakouer was also jailed, left Martin with a broken eye socket and extensive cuts and bruises, triggering a pre-existing kidney condition that caused a seizure and put Martin in intensive care on dialysis for a fortnight.

Jimmy Krakouer, who missed most of his son's games with the Tigers because he was serving 8 1/2 years for drug trafficking, was in court last year to see both his sons jailed. He said at the time he did not know if Andrew would play football again.

Jean Wilby, from the West Australian Homicide Victims Support Group, said it was frustrating to see people convicted of violent crimes treated so leniently by the prison system.

"This is somebody who is supposed to be serving a penalty for a serious crime and yet they're allowed to still participate in normal life. It just seems a bit of a farce," she told The Australian. "This was obviously not a homicide but it is frustrating that people are allowed out to do the normal things, the pleasure things, when they're supposed to be serving a penalty."

Wooroloo Prison recreation officer Dave Brown did not return calls yesterday but is believed to have told a Community Newspaper Group journalist at the weekend that some of his inmates would "walk into WAFL football, they are that good".

Prison spokeswoman Vicki Bell said prisoners were only allowed outside if they were assessed as presenting a low risk to public safety.

She said the footballers were supervised and had to follow standards of behaviour "expected both by the community and the Department of Corrective Services".

"Deviation from these standards or any anti-social behaviour will result in removal from S95 participation and the prisoner may be subject to a prison charge and a security upgrade," she said.

News of the outings yesterday triggered a string of online complaints about "farcical" punishments, including one parent who said she was "horrified" to see a prison van arrive at Sunday's game while a junior game was in progress.

http://www.theaustralian.news.com.au/story/0,25197,25543285-5012432,00.html

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
Kiss of life for jailed Andrew Krakouer (Herald-Sun)
« Reply #536 on: August 08, 2009, 04:00:01 AM »
Kiss of life for jailed Andrew Krakouer
Jon Ralph | August 07, 2009 11:30pm

RICHMOND and the AFL Players' Association are determined to help jailed former Tiger Andrew Krakouer successfully return to society.

Krakouer, convicted of assault, is serving the last few months of his sentence in Wooroloo Prison, and is eligible for parole later this year.

He was jailed in June last year after attacking a man as part of a long-running family feud.

He was sentenced to 32 months, with a minimum of 16, which means he will be eligible for release from October.

He recently attracted controversy for being part of the prison's football team that played in a suburban league.

WAFL club Swan Districts has kept in close touch with 26-year-old Krakouer and has committed to taking him next season.

Richmond and the AFLPA have also been in constant contact.

Richmond chief executive Gary March said yesterday Krakouer would be welcomed back into the Tigers fold.

"We remain supportive of Andrew.

" There are people, both still at the club and who have left the club in Greg Miller and Danny Frawley, who have had a lot to do with Andrew and have been fantastic in supporting him," he said.

"He will always be a welcome past player at the Richmond footy club.

"With what we are setting up with our indigenous academy, if there is any way we can assist him when he gets out, we would be more than happy to help Andrew to rehabilitate himself into society again."

AFLPA transition services manager Mark Porter said yesterday that Krakouer still had access to the player union's full range of services.

"It's a difficult time for anyone to go through something like that. He is eligible for our services, as a past player, and eligible for workplace grants for three years after he finishes his football," Porter said.

"Certainly, we have got our work experience programs that would be useful for Andy. It's not to say that people won't treat him like they would anyone else, but in reality he might need to get a foot in the door."

Porter said playing in the WAFL would help Krakouer ease back into society.

Krakouer, whose father Jim served a 16-year jail term for drug trafficking, has accepted his guilt and is determined to blend back into society.

He has two children with wife Barbara and played 102 games with Richmond.

Krakouer recently kicked 16 goals in a match for Wooroloo.

His brother Tyrone, also jailed but since released for his involvement in the assault, said his brother loved football.

"Playing in the team helps with his rehab back into the community," Tyrone said. "I . . . watch him every Sunday. I see him in jail, too, but this is much better."

http://www.news.com.au/adelaidenow/sport/afl/story/0,26547,25899379-5016212,00.html

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
No bars, no glory for Andrew Krakouer (Herald-Sun)
« Reply #537 on: August 23, 2009, 04:05:19 AM »
No bars, no glory for Andrew Krakouer
Anthony Deceglie | August 22, 2009

THE price of freedom for jailed former AFL footballer Andrew Krakouer might be a spot in a grand final.

Krakouer, 26, who is the son of North Melbourne legend Jimmy Krakouer, is the star player for the Bombers, who represent Wooroloo Prison Farm in the Mercantile Football Association.

He was jailed for 32 months in July 2008 for an attack on a 24-year-old man outside a Fremantle nightclub.

He will be eligible for parole in a month.

The Bombers are undefeated and clear favourites for the grand final on September 20.

Phil Krakouer, Andrew's uncle and also a former North Melbourne champion, said yesterday his nephew was due to be released soon and could miss the big game because he would no longer be a prisoner.

Claims of rough play against the Wooroloo Bombers were raised mid-season after alleged threats of violence against opposition players.

http://www.news.com.au/heraldsun/sport/afl/story/0,26576,25968254-19742,00.html

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #538 on: September 27, 2009, 02:03:54 AM »
KRAKOUER'S DOUBLE WIN     
Sunday Herald Sun, 27-09-2009, Pg: 16

A DAY after his grand final victory with Western Australia's Wooroloo Prison Farm football team, Andrew Krakouer had another win.

The former Richmond AFL star was told during the week that he would be released on parole next month.

Offline DallasCrane

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • roll on 2011
« Reply #539 on: October 08, 2009, 11:13:39 AM »
Did anyone see the excerpt from the Roberta Williams 'autobiography', where it said that Andy Krakouer was at Carl and Roberta's wedding?

I thought Krak was supposedly being mentored by Danny Frawley I wonder what Spud thought of that. 
Experience is a good school. But the fees are high.
Heinrich Heine