Author Topic: AFL/AFLPA pay deal reached  (Read 2969 times)

Jackstar is back again

Re: AFLPA player wage dispute
« Reply #15 on: September 15, 2011, 04:02:35 PM »
players way too greedy

Online WilliamPowell

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Better to ignore a fool than encourage one
    • One Eyed Richmond
« Reply #16 on: September 15, 2011, 04:09:04 PM »
I just think their whole fixed percentage thing was stupid and not well thought out and I will admit they sort of lost some support from me over it

And I honestly don't think the players really have a clue as to how many things the AFL fund regarding state league comps (VFL, QFL etc) and how much they spend in local leagues..... and I don' think the AFLPA have explained it. Not sure if that's because the AFLPA is clueless as well or they are just choosing to ignore it... my gut tells me it's the latter unfortunately

"Oh yes I am a dreamer, I still see us flying high!"

from the song "Don't Walk Away" by Pat Benatar 1988 (Wide Awake In Dreamland)

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
« Reply #17 on: September 15, 2011, 09:32:45 PM »
The AFLPA still have a gripe over the final two years of the last agreement and seem hellbent on playing catch-up with this new deal. The AFLPA need to realise it doesn't work that way. Having said that Luke Ball tonight seems pretty confident a deal will be done.
All you touch and all you see is all your life will ever be - Pink Floyd

Dubstep Dookie

« Reply #18 on: September 15, 2011, 09:37:04 PM »
As much as I think the players are being greedy, it's strangely satisfying seeing Demetriou being bent over and dictated to for a change

Online WilliamPowell

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One Eyed Richmond
« Reply #19 on: September 15, 2011, 09:49:59 PM »
The AFLPA still have a gripe over the final two years of the last agreement and seem hellbent on playing catch-up with this new deal. The AFLPA need to realise it doesn't work that way. Having said that Luke Ball tonight seems pretty confident a deal will be done.

Luke didn't come across well when talking about the "numbers".... he said they are not after more money and they are giving up about $40mil ... no you not you are not actually giving up anything

Sorry Luke but your logic is flawed and you don't seem to get it so here's the math

You've been offered a 25% pay increase over 5 years (11%, 5%, 3%, 3%, 3%)

But the AFLPA have said no we want a 3 year deal and we want the same increase over the 3 years that we would have get in the 5 year deal = 19% increase (11%, 5%, 3%) and then we negotiate a new agreement.

Unless at the end of the 3 years you guarantee that you will only be requesting 3% increases over the first 2 years of the your next agreement then you are going to be asking for more money.. justify any way you want but that is what the AFLPA is saying

And another thing ...for 3 months now Finnis has been going on and on about how you cannot compare this CBA to any other EBA because we are dealing with "professional sportsman" who have limited careers spans. Hence, why players salary increases need to be greater than what the average person gets.... but today he comes out and says that a 3 year deal is what is the common length of EBAs withing most industries in Australia and that's one of the reasons they are looking towards a 3 year deal ....

What the.... you can not have it both ways...

If you want what's common and standard then put your hand out for the common & standard wage increases. Or alternatively if you want the above standard and common then take the 5 year deal

Sorry but the players have lost me over this...GREEDY   

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
« Reply #20 on: September 15, 2011, 10:07:04 PM »
Luke didn't come across well when talking about the "numbers".... he said they are not after more money and they are giving up about $40mil ... no you not you are not actually giving up anything

Sorry Luke but your logic is flawed and you don't seem to get it so here's the math

You've been offered a 25% pay increase over 5 years (11%, 5%, 3%, 3%, 3%)

But the AFLPA have said no we want a 3 year deal and we want the same increase over the 3 years that we would have get in the 5 year deal = 19% increase (11%, 5%, 3%) and then we negotiate a new agreement.

Unless at the end of the 3 years you guarantee that you will only be requesting 3% increases over the first 2 years of the your next agreement then you are going to be asking for more money.. justify any way you want but that is what the AFLPA is saying

And another thing ...for 3 months now Finnis has been going on and on about how you cannot compare this CBA to any other EBA because we are dealing with "professional sportsman" who have limited careers spans. Hence, why players salary increases need to be greater than what the average person gets.... but today he comes out and says that a 3 year deal is what is the common length of EBAs withing most industries in Australia and that's one of the reasons they are looking towards a 3 year deal ....

What the.... you can not have it both ways...

If you want what's common and standard then put your hand out for the common & standard wage increases. Or alternatively if you want the above standard and common then take the 5 year deal

Sorry but the players have lost me over this...GREEDY
Yep blindy freddy knows they will be asking for far more than the "3%, 3%" in the first two years when the next deal comes around. They wouldn't be wanting just a 3-year deal now otherwise. They are counting on the AFL revenues to increase beyond predictions over the next 3 years and then scoop the cream in the next deal.
All you touch and all you see is all your life will ever be - Pink Floyd

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
2012 TTP formalised at $8.78m per club (afl)
« Reply #21 on: October 10, 2011, 03:48:01 PM »
AFL_PKeane Patrick Keane twitter:

"TPP figure for clubs in 2012 formalised at $8.78 million per club by AFL Commission today after agreement between AFL and AFLPA.

TPP amount for '12 represents increase of 7pct on 2011 figure of $8.21 million per club. ASA agreements also increase 7 pct to 613k per club"

Online WilliamPowell

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One Eyed Richmond
« Reply #22 on: December 15, 2011, 07:06:26 AM »
Looks like the Players & AFL have finally reached an agreement with an announcement due possibly today  :sleep :sleep

From the Age:

"AFTER months of haggling, a new pay deal between the players and the AFL is close to being signed, possibly as early as today.

The AFL Players Association's board and delegates yesterday responded ''positively'' when briefed by chief executive Matt Finnis on an updated offer from the AFL on the first day of their two-day conference in Lorne.

Finnis and AFL counterpart Andrew Demetriou were expected to finalise the five-year contract, worth a minimum of $1.144 billion, last night."

Read more: http://www.theage.com.au/afl/afl-news/afl-and-players-close-to-new-pay-deal-20111214-1ouzz.html#ixzz1gXd6DQ84

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #23 on: December 15, 2011, 12:25:49 PM »
Media conference with all parties at 2pm today.

AFL_PKeane twitter:
"AFLPA/AFL joint media conference at 2pm today, Thurs 15/12, on CBA. Luke Power, Matt Finnis, Andrew Demetriou and Adrian Anderson to attend."

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
AFL/AFLPA pay deal reached
« Reply #24 on: December 15, 2011, 03:41:13 PM »
Pay deal reached
By Mark Macgugan
2:00 PM Thu 15 Dec, 2011

THE AFL has stuck to its guns on its $1.144 billion, five-year pay offer to players, but has agreed to a review after three years.

After 18 months of negotiations, the League and the AFLPA finally signed off on a new collective bargaining agreement on Thursday.

Under the new agreement, the average player's wage will rise to more than $300,000 by 2016.

Rookies, the AFL's lowest-paid players with a minimum wage of just $35,000 in 2011, are big winners in the deal.

They'll receive a pay rise of 17 per cent next year, 19 per cent the year following and nine per cent in 2014, taking their yearly earnings to almost $54,000 plus match payments.

The League has also agreed to a $90 million retirement scheme, which will see players receive around $20,000 per year during life after football.

The review of terms will take place during 2014, and will apply to the last two years of the deal.

If an agreement can't be reached during that review, The AFL will make a penalty payment to the AFLPA of between $3 million and $10 million, depending on its financial performance over the next three years.

Other key components of the new CBA are:

*    Star players who promote the game and their clubs will receive extra payments.
*    Clubs will be required to pay a minimum 95 per cent of the salary cap, up from the current 92.5 per cent.
*    All clubs must employ a full-time player development manager, and schedule four hours per week for players' professional and personal development activities.
*    Clubs must schedule a fixed day off for players between Monday and Friday each week, with four exceptions for scheduling.
*    Players will be entitled to a minimum six-week uninterrupted block of annual leave after the end of each season.
*    Expanded past player hardship fund of $250,000 per year.
*    Abolishment of the veterans' list, with primary lists extended from 38 to 40.
*    Players assign the non-exclusive right to use their image on the AFL-Telstra network.

http://www.afl.com.au/news/newsarticle/tabid/208/newsid/127273/default.aspx

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
Re: AFL/AFLPA pay deal reached
« Reply #25 on: December 15, 2011, 03:44:40 PM »
AFL_PKeane Patrick Keane twitter:

"Club Total Player Payment (TPP) limits for next five years 2012-2016 are:

2012    $8.78m
2013    $9.13m
2014    $9.63m