Author Topic: Dimma's aftermatch media conference  (Read 1706 times)

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
Dimma's aftermatch media conference
« on: July 10, 2011, 02:04:45 AM »
Summary

* I thought our first 2.5 quarters were pretty good and we were the better side. There was a period in the first 10 minutes of the 3rd quarter where we dominated but we couldn't put it on the scoreboard. We didn't take our chances and kicked 4-5 points. Unfortunately AFL today is a game of chances - we didn't take ours and they took theirs. They kicked the last 9-10 goals of the game which is disappointing. But the thing that killed us at times was our lack of composure. We had control of the ball and we just make a silly mistake that costs us going the other way and we've just to rectify that and get it out of our game. At the moment the mistakes hurting us are simple ones that we control which going back the other way is killing us on the scoreboard.

* Q. Asked about the two mistakes towards the end of the 3rd quarter?
Yeah they're the killers I suppose. At 3/4 time we could've gone in 20 points up or whatever it was but two mistakes from two of our better players at times - yeah they're the mistakes we need to iron out of our game to get to where we need to go.

* Q. Asked about us falling away?
No doubt their (Essendon's) intensity lifted. Their tackle count in the last quarter and a bit doubled ours. Contested ball was about the same but it was just the amount of times we turned the ball over for it to go the other way. Look we had control of those situations and they're the things we need to iron out. The simple turnovers are the ones that cost going the other way. That's the stuff that really hurts us.

* Q. Is that a sign of where you are at?
Dimma replied no we're better than that. You know they shouldn't still be in our game. Just got to remain composed and train them out and get it better.

* Q. Just 9 goals from your forward line - any thing you can do about that?
Look we're one of the better scoring sides. Tonight we had about 43-44 inside 50s for 9.12. We had some gettable shots on goal we missed plus a couple out on the full. Our forward line didn't function overly well tonight. There's no doubt about that but Essendon's down there was pretty good. Hurley was good at stages; Dustin Fletcher has played a truckload of games. We're played a 21 year old, a 20 year old down there at stages too so they are going to get monstered. But we expect our forward line to function better next week.

* Q. Vickery plus Griffiths and Post who both showed moments you can build your future on?
I think it's exciting going forward no doubt. 21, 20 and 19 year old - three key position players who can pinch hit in the ruck also. For a development stage I thought it was good. Remember they are going up a 30-31 year old in David Hille who is an experienced campaigner and one of the elite rucks of the competition. I thought we broke even in clearances tonight so that was a reasonable result. I thought they competed fairly well and contributed up forward as well.

* Q. Is the development graph still moving in a positive direction and is this just a bit of a lull?
It's a funny one. We are still a very very young side. Our games experience is ... well you guys will find that out. Our back six we had 3 first year players back there at one stage tonight. We've just got to keep playing these players for where we need to go. The easy thing is to top up with talent that's not quite there. We've just got to make sure these players play as much footy together as humanly possible. At some stage it might be nice to get Grimes back, Astbury back and Moore back but they're not coming back this year. We've just got to keep playing these guys and develop them and set up for when we do genuinely have a crack at a finals assault.

http://www.afl.com.au/video/tabid/76/default.aspx

Offline Damo

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Member of famed “Gang Of Four”. Ground the airbus!
Re: Dimma's aftermatch media conference
« Reply #1 on: July 10, 2011, 02:16:56 AM »
David Hille who is an experienced campaigner and one of the elite rucks of the competition.

LOL

Ox

« Reply #2 on: July 10, 2011, 02:22:53 AM »
LOL X2

PS -STFU MATTHEW LLOYD IN BARRACKIN....ER ,I MEAN COMMENTATING!

Jackstar is back again

« Reply #3 on: July 10, 2011, 04:33:25 AM »
bit of spin by the coach
thought the first 2.5 quarters were ordinary to say the least.

Killed in the middle.
mmmmmmmmmm

Offline Penelope

• Internet nuffer and sooky jellyfish
  • RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #4 on: July 10, 2011, 12:23:52 PM »
yet overall we dominated much of the first 2.5 quarters.

funnily enough, as we increased our contested possessions/clearances the bummers improved their uncontested possessions and got on top.
“For My thoughts are not your thoughts,
Nor are your ways my ways,” says the Lord.

“For as the heavens are higher than the earth,
So are my ways higher than your ways,
And my thoughts than your thoughts."

Yahweh? or the great Clawski?

yaw rehto eht dellorcs ti fi daer ot reisae eb dluow tI

Offline TigerLand

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • I <3 Mrs Hardwick
« Reply #5 on: July 10, 2011, 12:43:31 PM »
Shot for the year.

Play and bump our our trade currency.
Play the players that we need to make calls on in main roles: Connors, Post, Farmer, Jackson.
Tank.

Looking at next years draft there are some absolute rippers. I want a player to go to GWS and get a compo pick we can use the following year.

This year's draft will be good but next years top 20 will be an absolute beauty.
Go Tigers!

Offline bojangles17

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Platinum member 33 years
« Reply #6 on: July 10, 2011, 02:59:08 PM »
bit of spin by the coach

Killed in the middle.
mmmmmmmmmm

were you in the bar for the first half ::), we were sublime in that hour of footy, what happened thereafter is anyones guess
RFC 1885, Often Imitated, Never Equalled

Hellenic Tiger

« Reply #7 on: July 10, 2011, 10:58:16 PM »
bit of spin by the coach

Killed in the middle.
mmmmmmmmmm

were you in the bar for the first half ::), we were sublime in that hour of footy, what happened thereafter is anyones guess

Wouldn't call it sublime but it wasn't terrible either BJ17. Good honest footy is a more relevant assessment.

Offline cub

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • "Tigertime!"
    • bantigertrade
« Reply #8 on: July 10, 2011, 11:09:31 PM »
Didn't say it at the time but was very confident 'VERY' we would not cough up the game when we were 22 in front.
Then what happened? Freaked if I know! Bombres got a sniff, got their tails up and were almost showboating in the end. We need to learn to react to this and nip it in the bud, we were embarrassingly inept and unable to counter in any way, VERY DISSAPOINTING. .....

Hellenic Tiger

« Reply #9 on: July 10, 2011, 11:20:22 PM »
Yeah its been a trait of ours for years getting plenty of consecutive goals kicked against us that turns winning positions into terrible and costly defeats.
Draw parallels to where we have been as a club. Inept, mentally fragile, easily overrun, unresponsive, unskilled, undisciplined, reactive and stagnant just to name a few.

Yes we are 18 months into a long long rebuild and all the above need to be addressed. Its two steps back no steps forward at the moment but its where we thought we would be at the start of the season. Remember the Adelaide practice match at Optus Oval in March? Lets keep things real and in perspective 2013 for finals if all things go well recruiting and injury wise in the next 18 months.

Offline Owl

• Magnificent Bastard
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Bring me TWO chickens
« Reply #10 on: July 11, 2011, 09:19:58 AM »
We did dominate the ball for a long time but just couldn't put it through the bloody goal posts, I knew we would pay for it, it drained the players too and drained their confidence as the game wore on.
Lots of people name their swords......

Offline Phil Mrakov

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • They said I could be anything so I became Phil
« Reply #11 on: July 11, 2011, 09:29:30 AM »
LOL X2

PS -STFU MATTHEW LLOYD IN BARRACKIN....ER ,I MEAN COMMENTATING!

How biased are his comments? Felt like him and Tim Lane were barracking for Essendon the whole game..

Tim Lane is so anti Richmond its not funny!
hhhaaarrgghhh hhhhaaarrggghhh hhhhaaaarrrggghh
HHAAARRRGGGHHHH HHHHAAARRRGGGHHHH HHHHHAAAAARRRRGGGGGHHHHH

Offline Oiafi

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Against logic there is no armour like ignorance.
« Reply #12 on: July 11, 2011, 09:38:01 AM »
bit of spin by the coach

Killed in the middle.
mmmmmmmmmm

With all due respect you're only really happy if things are not going well. You're not the sort of poster who likes to find positives. You also like to know better than others and say so. When things are going well you are pretty quiet.

I'm not trying to be rude it's just an observation from reading your posts over many years. I don't necessarily mind it either. Life is full of different types of people.

Offline Penelope

• Internet nuffer and sooky jellyfish
  • RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #13 on: July 11, 2011, 09:05:12 PM »
We did dominate the ball for a long time but just couldn't put it through the bloody goal posts, I knew we would pay for it, it drained the players too and drained their confidence as the game wore on.

Thats the crux of it. we should have had them well and truly burried but couldnt put scorboard pressure on despite our dominance around the ground.

The same thing against melbourne early in the first term. considering the floggings melbourne are prone to receive who knows how different that may have been if we had jumped out to an early 4-5 goal lead?
“For My thoughts are not your thoughts,
Nor are your ways my ways,” says the Lord.

“For as the heavens are higher than the earth,
So are my ways higher than your ways,
And my thoughts than your thoughts."

Yahweh? or the great Clawski?

yaw rehto eht dellorcs ti fi daer ot reisae eb dluow tI

Offline Owl

• Magnificent Bastard
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Bring me TWO chickens
« Reply #14 on: July 12, 2011, 08:45:51 AM »
yeah it changes the game entirely Al, morale goes up for us and panic sets in for them, and the story changes.  When they think they have a sniff, the tide can turn like it did...
Lots of people name their swords......