Author Topic: Young Richmond guns 'will fire'  (Read 1104 times)

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
Young Richmond guns 'will fire'
« on: February 20, 2005, 06:12:18 AM »
Young Richmond guns 'will fire'
20 February 2005   
Sunday Herald Sun
By JON RALPH and JACKIE EPSTEIN

ACTING Richmond captain Joel Bowden says draft picks Brett Deledio and Richard Tambling have the talent and dedication to play every home-and-away match this year.

The pair set Telstra Dome alight on Friday night with their poise and immediate impact, buoying Richmond supporters despite the Tigers' eventual seven-point loss to Collingwood.

While careful not to heap expectation on the top-four draft picks, Bowden said their first games in Richmond colours could scarcely have been any more encouraging.

"They are not going to be world beaters this year, they won't win us 15 games, but they are going to be part of group trying to be competitive in every game," Bowden said yesterday.

"I think they can be very good players (this year) -- whether they play 10 games or 22 is yet to be seen -- but I believe they have got great ability, great talent and their work ethic is very high as well."

Tambling's debut had it all -- a sublime running supergoal from 55m, a clever snapped goal that looked to give Richmond the game late and several courageous marks running back with the flight. Deledio came off the bench and turned over his first kick, but was soon showcasing his exciting turn of pace, clever decision-making and precise kicking to leading targets.

"I thought (Tambling) was good. Coming from under-18s is not easy. He acquitted himself very well, wasn't daunted by the game, took a couple of good marks out on the flanks and kicked a really good goal."

http://www.heraldsun.news.com.au/footy/common/story_page/0,8033,12310409%255E19771,00.html
All you touch and all you see is all your life will ever be - Pink Floyd

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
Re: Young Richmond guns 'will fire'
« Reply #1 on: February 20, 2005, 06:36:25 AM »
"They are not going to be world beaters this year, they won't win us 15 games, but they are going to be part of group trying to be competitive in every game," Bowden said yesterday.

"I think they can be very good players (this year) -- whether they play 10 games or 22 is yet to be seen -- but I believe they have got great ability, great talent and their work ethic is very high as well."

Well answered by Joel. The season is long so it's going to be difficult to see Lids and Tambo playing every game. Cooney might have done so at the Dogs (?) but he really only started to find his feet in the last month of the season. If we can get at least half a season into them then we and themselves have done well. Deledio looks more physically capable of playing nearly every game this year.
All you touch and all you see is all your life will ever be - Pink Floyd