Author Topic: Nathan Foley [merged]  (Read 109758 times)

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
Nathan Foley [merged]
« on: February 23, 2005, 12:19:10 AM »
With Sarge out for 3 months are we able to put him on the long term injury list and promote say Nathan Foley onto the seniors' list? Do we have the cash  ??? to do so even if we wanted to as we only have two rookies?

« Last Edit: August 17, 2014, 03:15:50 AM by one-eyed »
All you touch and all you see is all your life will ever be - Pink Floyd

Online WilliamPowell

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Better to ignore a fool than encourage one
    • One Eyed Richmond
Re: Promoting Foley?
« Reply #1 on: February 23, 2005, 08:48:09 AM »
I doubt that Foley will be promoted. My understanding is he's currently injured and wont be ready for a couple of weeks.

I think we will stick to what we have with the challenge being thrown down to Hall & Morrison.
"Oh yes I am a dreamer, I still see us flying high!"

from the song "Don't Walk Away" by Pat Benatar 1988 (Wide Awake In Dreamland)

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
« Reply #2 on: February 23, 2005, 04:31:16 PM »
Cheers WP. Just curious if Foley showed some good form at Coburg whether we could ($ wise) give him a shot in the seniors. Don't think we would expect him to fill in at CHB at only 177cm ;D.

Offline Harry

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Fighting injustice and incompetence
« Reply #3 on: February 24, 2005, 10:52:18 AM »
What's wrong with Foley?

I hope he gets promoted soon coz I really beleive he will be a good player.  He has real clean hands, but most important of all he knows how to get the footy and reads the play really well.  I think he can be a great rover.  He has gained 7kg over summer so his body is almost right weight wise.  His kicking was his main weakness, but hopefully he can rectify this. 

Heck, if chumps like Pettifer, Chaffey, Hilton can get a spot on an AFL list, then so can Axle.

Go Foley - I like the kid. 
Does anyone have half an idea on anything?

Online WilliamPowell

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One Eyed Richmond
« Reply #4 on: February 24, 2005, 04:37:03 PM »
What's wrong with Foley?

Some sort of soft tissue injury I think - I cannot remember to be honest

Bulluss

Nathan Foley [merged]
« Reply #5 on: May 26, 2005, 12:58:31 PM »
Just reported on SEN that Wallace announced at this morning's training session that Nathn Foley has been elevated to the senior list and will play against the demons.

Bowden also trained well and is also set to take his place in the line up.

Foley is coming in for Tambling.

Good luck to the youngster.

letsgetiton!

Re: Foley to play
« Reply #6 on: May 26, 2005, 01:54:52 PM »
this is what i wrote early this morning in teh morrison thread

Despite reports of reasonable form at CHB for Coburg has his future already been decided given he didn't come in for Razor and Sarge although underdone did?

tw also said gimore would have been selected by now if he had more continuity, his ankle injury cost him selection, and he said rookie list player foley may be elevated at the end of teh yr as they are impressed with him so far and wanna test him on the big stage b4 they make a choice to add him to our senior list

looks like i was on the money

Online WilliamPowell

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One Eyed Richmond
« Reply #7 on: May 26, 2005, 01:59:08 PM »
This is fantastic news - this kid deserves to be elevated and to have a run in the seniors.

His form this year for Coburg in the games I have seen has been excellent.

The other good part is, that if selected to play for the seniors, he will actually get game time rather than "pinetime"  :bow :thumbsup :cheers

Online WilliamPowell

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One Eyed Richmond
« Reply #8 on: May 26, 2005, 02:02:19 PM »
Foley to debut for Tigers
1:06:40 PM Thu 26 May, 2005
Matt Burgan
Sportal for afl.com.au

Richmond is set to unleash its fifth AFL debutant for the season when it takes on Melbourne at Telstra Dome on Friday night.

Hard-working midfielder Nathan Foley will don the yellow and black for the first time against the Demons after Richmond coach Terry Wallace confirmed the 19 year-old would line-up in round 10.

"Nathan Foley will play his first game for the footy club on the weekend, coming off the rookie list," Wallace said

"It's just a terrific story. He's a young kid who has lacked opportunity because of his size and he missed out on getting into the system in the first place.

"He's had a lot of trouble with knee injuries along the way and he's had several operations on his knee.

"He's just been knocking down the door at Coburg and he wins the footy, so we thought why not give him an opportunity of playing at senior level to see whether he can do exactly the same."

Originally from Colac, via the Geelong Falcons, Foley was the fourth player selected in the 2004 NAB AFL Rookie Draft - held in December 2003 - and was impressive last year with the Coburg Tigers at VFL level.

He was the only player retained on Richmond's rookie list this season and he has since notched up a further six matches in the VFL this year, where he has continued to shine, which has forced his promotion to the AFL ranks.

http://richmondfc.com.au/default.asp?pg=news&spg=display&articleid=205321

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
Foley the Tiger cub rover the moon
« Reply #9 on: May 27, 2005, 03:05:12 AM »
Foley the Tiger cub rover the moon
27 May 2005   
Herald Sun
Jordan Chong

RICHMOND will blood its fifth youngster of the season when Nathan Foley plays in tonight's clash with Melbourne at Telstra Dome.

The rookie-listed rover was promoted to the senior list after David Rodan suffered a season-ending knee injury in February, and has forced his way into the side with strong performances for Coburg.

He will join Brett Deledio, Richard Tambling, Danny Meyer and Adam Pattison as Tiger debutants in 2005.

Loud applause greeted the news when Tigers coach Terry Wallace made the announcement to the players at the start of training at Punt Rd yesterday, with the coach describing Foley's impending debut as a "terrific story". "He's just been knocking down the door at Coburg," Wallace said.

"He's had a lot of trouble with knee injuries along the way and he's had several operations on his knees."

The first-gamer's coach at the Geelong Falcons, Damien Christensen, paid tribute to the 177cm Foley's determination to overcome a lack of size and make it to the top level.

"I just reckon it's a good effort that he's got to this point and debuting for Richmond, who are third on the ladder and going very well," Christensen said yesterday.

"The difficulty in being a rover is that not many of them get drafted, so obviously he's had to do it the hard way. It's a fantastic effort."

Christensen said Foley was similar to Hawthorn's Sam Mitchell in the way he played – clever at stoppages and good with his hands.

"He holds his feet well and he'll find the footy in congestion and inside packs. He's an inside player.

"He's just very honest and his honesty and hard work has got him to where he is."

Foley played with the Falcons in the under-18 TAC Cup in 2003, winning the club's best-and-fairest and selection in the competition's team of the year.

Foley was originally recruited from Colac.

http://www.heraldsun.news.com.au/footy/common/story_page/0,8033,15417655%255E19771,00.html

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
« Reply #10 on: May 27, 2005, 03:36:14 AM »
Good on Foley for getting his well deserved reward of a crack at a senior game. Congrats to Terry and the coaching staff for not only being able to keep the side competitive but actually win 7 games while still blooding 5 debutants in the one year. One eye on the present and one eye on the future  :bow.

Not sure how Foley will go at senior level as he's only 177cm tall which is classed as short now days. The new ruck rules and larger centre circle would help his game as they seem to be slowly helping bring back the role of the rover into modern footy.

Offline JohnF

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • ROFLMAO
« Reply #11 on: May 27, 2005, 05:19:05 AM »
Good luck to Foley. Will be watching him with keen  interest.

The more midfield options we have at our disposal the better.

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
Nathan Foley (RFC site)
« Reply #12 on: August 18, 2005, 04:34:26 PM »
Axel steps up for Tigers
12:58:13 PM Thu 18 August, 2005
Angus Morgan
Sportal for afl.com.au

While some players may be looking forward to the end of a long year, it seems Richmond youngster Nathan Foley wouldn't mind at all if the premiership season was to run for another month or three.

The only Tiger retained from last year's rookie list and promoted mid-season to the senior list in David Rodan's stead, Foley feels he is just starting to rise to the challenge of making it at AFL level.

Over the past couple of weeks, coach Terry Wallace has assigned Foley to run with some of the most prolific midfielders in the competition, a big ask for the compact on-baller from Colac via the Geelong Under-18s.

"Terry's given me the opportunity to play on some of the better opposition midfielders like (Peter) Bell and (Scott) West and those sort of blokes," Foley told afl.com.au.

"It makes it a lot easier if you can follow those blokes around and learn a few tricks off them; they take you to the ball.

"Terry still says to try and get as much of the ball as you can. It's not all about the tagging, but getting the opportunity to play on those blokes you learn so much more and what I've learned in the last two weeks alone has just been unbelievable.

"It's like a massive bonus playing on those sort of players."

Foley understands that developing the defensive side of his game is an important part of his education, but it's in an in-and-under role that he really wants to make his mark.

Foley gave a hint of his skills in that area with an outstanding 48-possession match (22 kicks, 26 handballs) in the VFL for Coburg against Williamstown in the wet at Punt Road early last month, an effort that prompted his promotion to the seniors for the round 17 match against Port Adelaide at AAMI Stadium.

"In (Mark) Coughlan and (Shane) Tuck and (Kane) Johnson we already have a lot of ball-winners, but hopefully I can add another dimension to my game and combine ball-winning and also get on the end of a few," he said.

"(Richmond assistant coach) Brian Royal is trying to work with me on that. He played a similar role to me when he was playing and I've spent a fair bit of time with 'Choco' since the start of the year."

Having achieved his goal for 2005 of winning promotion to the senior list, Foley's next aim is to be retained for 2006.

Now with four senior appearances to his credit, the 20 year-old believes he's gone a long way towards dispelling the perception that he's not quite big enough to make it at senior level, and he's looking forward to reinforcing his case over the final two rounds, plus finals should the Tigers make it.

"It's obviously been an issue all the way through since my junior football. Trying to get drafted it kept coming up that I'm 177 centimeters, but once you're out on the field, the role I play, it doesn't affect me at all, it's been fine," he said.

"I just want to play some good footy in the next two weeks and then go from there. That would be ideal, to play some decent footy and finish the season well just to cement Terry's opinion of me."

And while Foley is determined to make a name for himself, it seems his team-mates have already made a name for him - a nickname, Axel - after the Eddie Murphy maverick detective character, Axel Foley, in the Beverly Hills Cop movies.

Apparently young Tiger Foley had never heard of Axel Foley or Beverly Hills Cop which was released in 1984, the year before he was born, until the day he set foot at Tigerland.

"The first day I rocked up at Punt Road I pretty much got called Axel, and ever since, that's been it," he said with a chuckle.

"I reckon some of the trainers don't know my first name. I'm generally regarded as Axel."

"Back home I wasn't called Axel at all. The first I'd heard of it was when I got to Richmond and it's stuck pretty solidly."

Foley said he has since been to see Beverly Hills Cop at the cinema, "so I know what's going on now".

http://richmondfc.com.au/default.asp?pg=news&spg=display&articleid=223265

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
Nathan Foley [merged]
« Reply #13 on: November 06, 2005, 08:25:24 AM »
Foley craves regular spot
7:32:06 PM Sat 5 November, 2005
Jason Phelan
Sportal for afl.com.au

Nathan Foley couldn't be happier with his elevation to the senior list for the 2006 season, but knows he still has a long way to go as he strives to become a regular in the Richmond side.

The 24-year-old broke through for six AFL games after being elevated from the rookie list last season with the long-term injury to David Rodan and is super keen to capitalise on the gains he has made.

"I'm over the moon to get a place permanently on the list for a year - it should be good," Foley says.

"It'll be good just going into the pre-season knowing that you're on the list and you don't have to work your way off the rookie list to get a game."

Foley was told of his elevation - along with fellow rookie Will Thursfield - soon after the Tigers' final game of last season, but despite a team trip to Cairns and time spent at home in Colac and down at Torquay, Foley continued to work away at his fitness in the off-season.

"I don't think you can afford to come back under par, so I made sure I came back reasonably fit and go on from there," he says.

"It's just nice knowing in the back of your mind, that you're one step further ahead than you were last year which should give me more confidence going into the season, but I'll still approach the pre-season exactly the same way."

Used mainly in a tagging role by Terry Wallace, Foley is unsure whether he will continue in that role next season, but is happy to do whatever is asked of him as he works on his game.

"I'm not sure what the coaches have got planned for me next year, but I imagine it will be along the same lines," he says.

"I'm sure Brian Royal will do a fair bit of work with me over the summer in tagging and getting the ball as a midfielder.

"I've got to improve my endurance and speed as well as learn more about the game. AFL's a lot different to VFL and you've got to know where to run and how to approach the game a bit differently."

Foley admitted the time off had given him a chance to reflect on his breakthrough season and while that was satisfying, he wants more.

"Playing my first AFL game was a massive buzz and then to follow it up and play another five games - just to get some games under my belt - I was just over the moon with that," he says.

"I know there's a lot of things I've got to improve on - I didn't play my best football at AFL level - there's a lot in terms of running and skills and all that sort of stuff I've definitely got to improve a lot, but at the same time it was just awesome to get a taste of it.

"I just want to get a spot in the starting 18 … to play the first game and try to become a permanent (player) in the Richmond side - they're the goals that I'll set."

http://afl.com.au/default.asp?pg=news&spg=display&articleid=236152

Bulluss

Re: Foley craves regular spot (afl.com.au)
« Reply #14 on: November 06, 2005, 09:56:20 AM »
Have seen him dominate the centre square for Coburg getting clearances at will. I am doubtful though that he can transform that into the seniors.

I hope he proves me wrong, but cant see him adding much to our team.