Author Topic: Nathan Foley [merged]  (Read 109402 times)

Offline WilliamPowell

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Better to ignore a fool than encourage one
    • One Eyed Richmond
Re: Foley craves regular spot (afl.com.au)
« Reply #15 on: November 06, 2005, 05:07:15 PM »

The 24-year-old broke through for six AFL games after being elevated from the rookie list last season with the long-term injury to David Rodan and is super keen to capitalise on the gains he has made.

:gobdrop :gobdrop

Nathan Foley = DOB = 8/9/1985 now by my recollection that makes him a recently turned 20 not 24 - please if your gonna write these pieces Jason  :o get the basic facts right - it aint that difficult unless it's 30+ degress of course and things can get muddled. :rollin :rollin (thanks FF ;D)

Have seen him dominate the centre square for Coburg getting clearances at will. I am doubtful though that he can transform that into the seniors.

I hope he proves me wrong, but cant see him adding much to our team.

I remember him in the game against Port over in Adelaide and he gave us so much drive out of the centre when he was put in there that night - helped get us back into the game. Actually when they took him (and Cambo) out of there in the 3rd we couldn't get a centre clearance to save ourselves - gave Port the ascendency. One thing in his favour IMO is he is tough - he gets hit he just bounces straight up :thumbsup Oh and he can lay a tackle too :thumbsup

« Last Edit: November 06, 2005, 05:18:25 PM by WilliamPowell »
"Oh yes I am a dreamer, I still see us flying high!"

from the song "Don't Walk Away" by Pat Benatar 1988 (Wide Awake In Dreamland)

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
« Reply #16 on: November 07, 2005, 05:37:24 PM »
No question he's a gutsy footballer and his skills are good but I'm still concerned about his size when competing against the bigger body midfielders of modern footy. I hope he proves me wrong.
All you touch and all you see is all your life will ever be - Pink Floyd

Ox

« Reply #17 on: November 07, 2005, 06:05:08 PM »
We all crave a regular spot,deep down. :cheers

blx

Nathan Foley [merged]
« Reply #18 on: December 21, 2005, 11:13:01 PM »
At one point in training the other night Nathan marked the pill on the run, gallopped roughly 30 metres before delivering a pearler chest pass onto a running player.

I clearly noticed his speed has definately improved, ditto his kicking disposal too. I know his speed has been a contentious issue with alot of us but im starting to think that this bwoy has abit more toe than i've given him credit for. Maybe he's ready to come on finally.

I still think theres room for him in the team if not to take the load off the engine room boys for a tad. I know he's no crawf but he's taller and still filling out, extremely creative in close and really knows how to find the pill. If could add speed and defensive pressure to his game and improve his kicking disposal - all of which were positive signs he had done so - then he could really help out the team structure immensley.

Polo is another who might surprise too. :cheers

Offline Captain__Blood

• Premiership Captain
  • For We're From Tigerland
Re: Nathan Foley
« Reply #19 on: December 22, 2005, 01:04:02 AM »
I've always liked Foley since he's been at the club. However I think he has always got abit of a 'give him time', 'he's just a kid' attitude due to comming off the rookie list. This season is a make or brake for the kid I reckon. Really show he has the potential to be a 10 year player at the club or a real chance of delistment. They may sound harsh but he is no longer a pup and is getting to the age where he has to come on. Being so small he really has to be abit speical to make it. Whilst I do like him as an inside mideilder I doubt where else he would play. Maybe a back pocket/flank, forward pocke to 'rest'?

Im pretty content with the fast/running type Meyer, Tambling, JON direction the club is going but going but what I've seen of both Polo and Foley for Richmond and the 2's there is alot to like in the inside role. He is one of our kids I really hope makes it and I reckon he has the potential to be a future Hasebly/Bartel type. Wonderful hands, hard and very much inside.

Very important year for the 3rd year crop & Foley: Moore, Roach, Jackson, Raines, Hartigan etc. Could well be make or brake.

Offline Razorblade

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #20 on: December 22, 2005, 01:05:49 AM »
Everyteam needs guys who are going to go in head first and get the pill, and Foley is one of those types of players!

He looked really fast in the Bulldogs game late in the year!

Offline Captain__Blood

• Premiership Captain
« Reply #21 on: December 22, 2005, 01:09:12 AM »
has the potential to be a future Hasebly/Bartel type.

Sam Mitchell comes to mind also. Always a gun but people questioned his size/pace.

blx

« Reply #22 on: December 22, 2005, 10:35:39 AM »
Sam Mitchell comes to mind also. Always a gun but people questioned his size/pace.

spot on

letsgetiton!

« Reply #23 on: December 22, 2005, 03:46:26 PM »
foley will become more valuable to our team than many may think, he will imo become just as imp , maybe even more important than cogs

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
« Reply #24 on: December 22, 2005, 04:09:33 PM »
Mitchell is about the same height as Foley but is 6kg heavier. It's the combo of being shortish and lightweight (78kg) that put a question mark over Nathan for me not necessarily his pace. He needs to get stuck into the gym and a few large steaks to build up his strength otherwise he'll go the same way as Craig Ednie. Agree with CB that this year is make or break for him.
All you touch and all you see is all your life will ever be - Pink Floyd

Offline bluey_21

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Road Runner
« Reply #25 on: December 23, 2005, 02:01:02 PM »
IMHO, Foley will not make it in the AFL, he is a very good VFL player, but from what i've seen of him, he just can't cut it at the elite level

letsgetiton!

« Reply #26 on: December 23, 2005, 02:34:31 PM »
IMHO, Foley will not make it in the AFL, he is a very good VFL player, but from what i've seen of him, he just can't cut it at the elite level

who have not obv watched him close enough nor admired his efforts esp in the game at port and the game v the dogs!  he will be a prime hard ball winner 4 us 4 years to come and we will discuss this when foley has the final and last laugh

Offline tigerforever

• Tiger Rookie
« Reply #27 on: December 27, 2005, 07:09:35 PM »
foley will become more valuable to our team than many may think, he will imo become just as imp , maybe even more important than cogs
i expect him to become an important part of our midfield.

Offline WilliamPowell

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Better to ignore a fool than encourage one
    • One Eyed Richmond
« Reply #28 on: December 29, 2005, 03:06:58 PM »
who have not obv watched him close enough nor admired his efforts esp in the game at port and the game v the dogs! 

Agree X - Foley was sensational in the game against Port over in Adelaide, he along with Campbell got us back in the game with tiheir work in the centre. Port gained the ascendency when Tezza took them out of the mid-field.

I watch Coburg nearly every week and he's always close to the standout player mainly because of his attack on the footy and qucik hands.

I think he can make it, I see him primarily as a tagger who will also win his own ball in the clinches
"Oh yes I am a dreamer, I still see us flying high!"

from the song "Don't Walk Away" by Pat Benatar 1988 (Wide Awake In Dreamland)

Offline Razorblade

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #29 on: December 29, 2005, 03:38:50 PM »
Boy needs some steroids, stat!