Author Topic: Nathan Foley [merged]  (Read 113000 times)

blx

Re: Rover Foley in hunt (Herald-Sun)
« Reply #45 on: December 10, 2006, 11:08:03 PM »
Are any of the new boys firing early on the track?

They are training separately to the main squad at the moment. On Wednesday they just did 200 and 400m runs around the boundary and some handball and basic reflex drills while the game-based drills were going on.

could this be a new introduction to our pre-season training. Weening the newbies in rather than throwing them into the deep end and running the risk of injury?

Offline bluey_21

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Road Runner
« Reply #46 on: December 12, 2006, 09:32:32 PM »
Wallace intends playing 20-year-old Tambling on the ball next year, saying his endurance and natural roving skills demand it.

We need Blingers to move into the centre as soon as possible for his pace and skill alone. He still needs to build up his strength and upper body more though before he'll really click playing both as a inside and outside midfielder. With Foley, Lids and Polo as well we're slowly building up a quality young midfield.

Don't forget Connors and Edwards, chuck them in and soon we will have a midfield as dominant as West Coast's

Moi

« Reply #47 on: December 12, 2006, 09:42:24 PM »
Was told tonight that Nathan is burning up the track this summer and leading everyone in pre-season stuff they do.  Also told that Nathan B is having a great pre-season.

:bow To all our Nathans lol  :bow

Message for Jackstar:  Your scurrilous rumours are untrue  ;)

:rollin

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
« Reply #48 on: December 12, 2006, 10:24:31 PM »
Was told tonight that Nathan is burning up the track this summer and leading everyone in pre-season stuff they do.  Also told that Nathan B is having a great pre-season.

I wonder who your source was :shh :thumbsup :cuddles  :lol
All you touch and all you see is all your life will ever be - Pink Floyd

Moi

« Reply #49 on: December 12, 2006, 10:27:22 PM »

I wonder who your source was :shh :thumbsup :cuddles  :lol
One damn cute one lol  ;)

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
Foley knocked back #9 guernsey
« Reply #50 on: December 27, 2006, 04:43:57 PM »
Obviously Foles was more a fan of Scotty Turner than Cambo lol....

The Tigers were so impressed with Foley’s development that they decided to offer him the famous No. 9 guernsey.

He regarded it as a huge honor to be asked to take the No. 9 and thought long and hard about whether to accept it.

In the end, however, he opted to stick with the No. 41 guernsey he’d worn since making his way on to the rookie list at Tigerland in 2004.

http://richmondfc.com.au/default.asp?pg=news&spg=display&articleid=310340

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
Foley follows Colac lead (Herald-Sun)
« Reply #51 on: April 01, 2007, 03:00:17 AM »
Foley follows Colac lead
01 April 2007   Sunday Herald Sun
Ken Piesse

COLAC has produced another good one in emerging Tiger midfielder Nathan Foley.

The elevation of Jonathan Simpkin from rookie to senior squad status at Sydney sees him follow the footsteps of teammate Amon Buchanan and fellow Colac trailblazers Luke Hodge (Hawthorn), Steven Baker (St Kilda) and Nathan Foley (Richmond).

Simpkin, Hodge and Foley played with Colac Tigers and, says Foley, remain close buddies.

"We take a genuine interest in how each other does," he said. "People are so sports-minded in Colac. It's impossible not to do something, whether it's football, cricket, tennis or basketball.

"If you're lucky enough to go on and get an opportunity in your sport, the whole town is right behind you."

Foley says the achievements of Baker in becoming such a noted tagger, Hodge with his match-winning flair and Buchanan with his tenacity offer inspiration and motivation for him and other emerging Western District kids.

"You work hard to play your best football and these guys are doing it regularly," he says.

"From my perspective, being a smaller guy (177cm), seeing someone like Amon come through has been particularly helpful to help me realise that it could happen for me, too.

"Amon is two or three years older than me and is my size. We tend to play the same midfield positions, too."

In years gone by Colac has produced such notables as John Devine, a member of Geelong's last premiership team (in 1963), Bradman invincible Bill Johnston and, more recently, cricketer Liam Buchanan, Amon's brother.

Foley, 21, played 21 games with the Tigers last season, becoming renowned for his team-oriented example. He was among the three best tacklers at the club and among the top four or five handballers.

Coming off the best pre-season of his career, he was an automatic starter for this year.

"I was basically injury-free over the pre-season," he says. "It was always my aim to get as fit as possible. It's so competitive, especially for my position.

"You want to make an impact when you're on and get as much game time as you can."

He says the mentoring of Richmond champion Dale Weightman, himself pint-sized, allows him to believe in his abilities.

The example set by another Tiger legend, retired star Wayne Campbell, and senior teammates Mark Coughlan and Kane Johnson is similarly important.

"We have such a young list so we

really look up to guys like them," Foley says.

"There are more than 20 of us aged 21 and under, and when you're all around the same age and blending together, it automatically creates a bond. Hopefully, we can breed a really successful environment and grow with each other.

"If we can start to string some wins together, too, that'll really make the place jump.

"Our best side can be very competitive and while we won only one practice match out of four or five, that's what they were -- practice matches, which are all about trying out things and working on different game plans. With people like 'Richo' (Matthew Richardson) back and 'Browny' (Nathan Brown) hopefully back soon it provides goalkicking options and targets. Jay Schulz is another who has worked really hard and who can come through for us."

ONLY one senior list Tiger, Andrew Krakouer, is smaller than Foley , and while Foley says height is not a factor for him these days, it once was, especially around the time of the under-18 trials.

"It can be an issue, for sure, particularly at under-18 level when you're hoping to get noticed," he says. "Once you are drafted, however, if you are good enough, you'll play."

Emerging from the rookie list in mid-season 2005, Foley's first game was against Melbourne on the day star import Brown broke his leg.

He played six games in his first season and all but one last year, a genuine step-up in standard.

He says midfield rotations are part of AFL football these days and the best teams have a nucleus of nine and 10 to spread the workload.

"These days you just have to have a lot of runners," he says. "Look at West Coast -- they have great midfielders and terrific depth, too. It makes a big difference."

http://www.heraldsun.news.com.au/footy/common/story_page/0,8033,21480060%255E19742,00.html

Bulluss

Nathan Foley leading the Centre Clearances
« Reply #52 on: April 23, 2007, 09:35:39 PM »
On the Couch spoke about Foley tonight and said that he is leading the league with 16 centre sq clearances. They pumped him up saying how much he had improved.

They also defined their meaning of a clearance as the first possession from the ball up which then HAS to create a passage of play.

Well done Axel  :thumbsup

Keep up the good work.

Offline DallasCrane

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • roll on 2011
Re: Nathan Foley leading the Centre Clearances
« Reply #53 on: April 23, 2007, 09:48:43 PM »
He is the only one of our midfielders who gives me any confidence that he is going to use the ball constructively from the guts. He is the only one that has the poise to deliver under pressure. He is so similar to Paul Broderick that it isn't funny! He has got a tendency to always want to handball as his first option but I haven't got a problem with that, because he hits the target most of the time but not just that, he is creative enough to break the player in to some space with his vision.

If at some stage Wallace does the inevitable and puts Deledio in the midfield, with Foley and Simmonds then we are 3/4 of the way towards a top line midfield, and if we are heading for a bottom 4 finish then we should use the next 18 games to audition for the other spot.
Experience is a good school. But the fees are high.
Heinrich Heine

Offline Tigertailz

• Premiership Captain
  • "here we go again!"
« Reply #54 on: April 23, 2007, 09:51:55 PM »
And then we can worry about the other 14 positions.... :P

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
« Reply #55 on: April 24, 2007, 12:17:33 AM »
On the Couch spoke about Foley tonight and said that he is leading the league with 16 centre sq clearances. They pumped him up saying how much he had improved.

They also defined their meaning of a clearance as the first possession from the ball up which then HAS to create a passage of play.

Well done Axel  :thumbsup

Keep up the good work.
A great effort by Foles who must close to leading in our B&F at this stage :clapping. He needs help with the workload in there though due to our lack of onballer depth. Good sides have 10-12 decent midfielders that can rotate through the centre.

letsgetiton!

« Reply #56 on: April 24, 2007, 06:40:22 AM »
if foley had teh luxury of feeding the ball to highly skilled players such as lids, he would be regarded even higher

well done nathan foley  Hi-5

Offline bluey_21

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Road Runner
« Reply #57 on: April 24, 2007, 11:29:20 AM »
Firstly congrats to Axel, his hard work has really paid off.

Secondly, I agree with most of you that once Terry actually places Lids in the middle we will start to show real improvement. I am really starting to get frustated with Terry's decision to leave Lids on the HBF. If you wanna fasttrack his development the best thing to do is to put him in the thick of the action so he can learn.

Playing Lids on the HBF will turn him into another Goddard which I don't want

Offline Stephanie

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • I am from Tigerland!
    • My Myspace
« Reply #58 on: April 24, 2007, 09:01:07 PM »
 :clapping Well done Nathan

Now if only our whole team can follow his lead and bust their guts and go hard at the ball
On victory we strive. Eat 'em alive!

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
Foley learning from Kerr
« Reply #59 on: May 02, 2007, 06:10:38 PM »
Kerr challenge a good lesson: Foley
By Catherine Murphy
richmondfc.com.au
Wednesday, May 2, 2007

RICHMOND midfielder Nathan Foley said his time playing on Daniel Kerr in the Tiger’s clash against West Coast would benefit him in the long term.

“It’s the best way to learn - playing on the guns of the competition,” he said.

“Kerr’s an incredible player and even simple things like watching his tapes and going through the tricks he has with the coaches on the videos, you obviously learn heaps from it.”

The 21-year-old found out that he would be lining up against the Eagles star on the Wednesday before the game.

“It can be a bit daunting I suppose, but the best way to look at it is as a good opportunity. The coaches are showing you a bit of confidence in you by playing you on him,” Foley said.

The youngster didn’t look intimidated and picked up 21 disposals. He said the leadership group at the club was vital in helping him prepare for the task.

“The likes of Kane Johnson, who’s really good at playing on opponents, he teaches you what he (Kerr) does which is good.”

Full article at: http://richmondfc.com.au/Season2007/News/NewsArticle/tabid/6301/Default.aspx?newsId=42429