Author Topic: Dimma's aftermatch media conference / Tigers show character  (Read 235 times)

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
Dimma's aftermatch media conference / Tigers show character
« on: August 21, 2011, 11:06:39 PM »
Tigers show character
By Jennifer Witham
8:26 PM Sun 21 Aug, 2011

RICHMOND coach Damien Hardwick labelled the Tigers' seven-point win over Melbourne as a "testament" his players' character, with a number of them, including Trent Cotchin and Dustin Martin, overcoming slow starts to play pivotal roles in the result.

Cotchin shook off a determined Clint Bartram to end with 18 touches and seven inside 50s after having just seven possessions to half time, while Martin kicked three goals (the most impressive coming in the last quarter, when he put his powerful core on show to goal despite Col Garland hanging off his waist).

Hardwick said the performance, which also saw the Tigers hang on despite the Demons hitting the front twice in the fourth quarter, showed the side had improved from earlier in the season.

"It was a good win. For us to be headed at three-quarter time ... Melbourne came out and played an outstanding third quarter that we just couldn't quite get on the front foot again. I think it's a great testament to our playing group," he said.

"'Cotch' [Cotchin] was our leader out there today, to actually stand up in the last quarter and get us back in front.

"Dustin Martin, to get that goal at the end just through pure grunt and wanting to actually win was really impressive for a young player.

"I think previously we could have quite easily folded, but I think it's a testament to our playing group, their ability to fight through a number of those issues was outstanding."

Brett Deledio was another Hardwick said fought his way into the game, and was pleased by the three tackles he laid in the final quarter.

"It's something he's not noted for but something he's been working heavily on," he said.

The Tigers' three mature-aged off-season recruits - Brad Miller, Bachar Houli and Shaun Grigg - were also prolific in the win, with Miller kicking three goals and having two goal assists.

Hardwick said Miller had been an "outstanding recruit" this year, but admitted the club was yet to decide if he would either be offered a second rookie contract or a position on the senior list for 2012.

"He brought instant leadership, he's an outstanding leader. His character is second to none," he said.

"The pleasing thing for us is he's delivering on-field. Our side is better for having Brad in the side.

"It will be a list management decision we'll make in due course."

Houli was given the job on Melbourne speedster Aaron Davey, who had one possession and laid one tackle to half time before he was moved to half back, where he was picked up by Jake King.

Davey's frustration boiled over several times when he was pitted against the former Bomber, which saw him give away an undisciplined free kick for shoving Houli in the back, and he collected Mitch Morton with an errant elbow that momentarily floored the Tiger.

"We knew Aaron was playing his 150th [game] and knew he'd be out for a big one," Hardwick said.

"Bachar sacrificed his role in the first half. Davey moved down back in the second half, he did a great job. We just wanted him to set the scene, lock him away early, try and negate his influence."

The Tigers have now beaten the Sydney Swans and Melbourne in consecutive weeks after snapping the six-game losing streak that extended from round 14 to 20.

Hardwick emphasised the importance of finishing off the season strongly, with games against Adelaide and North Melbourne to come, but said boosting the experience level of the younger players was equally - if not more - significant.

"We look at a number of different things, and individual improvement in our players is one thing we pride ourselves on," he said.

"You look at a guy like Alex Rance, Ty Vickery again today, Cotchin has improved, [Robin] Nahas has had a really good season … that's the things we look for.

"Don't get me wrong, we love to win, but if we keep putting games into those players we think are going to take us forward, and we see them improve, we're going to become a better side next year again.

"That's been the pleasing thing for us, we've certainly found some players this year."

Hardwick said Sunday's win also came after the group spoke of the importance of long-time club patron and No.1 ticket holder David Mandie, who died on Wednesday morning at the age of 93.

http://www.afl.com.au/news/newsarticle/tabid/208/newsid/121551/default.aspx

Ox

Re: Dimma's aftermatch media conference / Tigers show character
« Reply #1 on: August 21, 2011, 11:16:42 PM »
"I think previously we could have quite easily folded, but I think it's a testament to our playing group, their ability to fight through a number of those issues was outstanding."

Translation

"I think previously we could have quite easily folded, but I think it's a testament to my coaching.

:ROTFL :chuck