Author Topic: Richmond to train in Arizona with academy Athletes’ Performance [merged]  (Read 22939 times)

Online WilliamPowell

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Better to ignore a fool than encourage one
    • One Eyed Richmond
Re: Richmond to train in Arizona with academy Athletes’ Performance [merged]
« Reply #15 on: September 05, 2011, 07:12:14 AM »
That might explain it too lol. It's still a big coincidence though that Ralph asked the Club about something that was discussed at a journo-free closed forum at Punt Rd  :whistle.

Nah gotta take MR RFC_O side on this, they would have worded Ralphy up to get the story in the HUN the day after forum.... good thing is it looks like Ralphy stuck to the embargo as oppsed to the crap the HUN have done in the past (eg B&F results)
"Oh yes I am a dreamer, I still see us flying high!"

from the song "Don't Walk Away" by Pat Benatar 1988 (Wide Awake In Dreamland)

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #16 on: September 14, 2011, 10:10:35 PM »
Richmond players will travel to Phoenix in November for a camp with elite training group Athlete's Performance.

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/afl/tigers-to-be-active-in-pursuit-of-talent/story-fn69a32t-1226137245194

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond

Offline Phil Mrakov

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • They said I could be anything so I became Phil
hhhaaarrgghhh hhhhaaarrggghhh hhhhaaaarrrggghh
HHAAARRRGGGHHHH HHHHAAARRRGGGHHHH HHHHHAAAAARRRRGGGGGHHHHH

Online WilliamPowell

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One Eyed Richmond
« Reply #19 on: November 09, 2011, 12:07:20 PM »
When are our boys actually going and for how long?

End of the month or early Dec I believe. For memory it's for a week to 10 days

Online wayne

• Fame of Hall
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • In Absentia
« Reply #20 on: November 09, 2011, 12:35:19 PM »
When are our boys actually going and for how long?

End of the month or early Dec I believe. For memory it's for a week to 10 days

I think I heard KB say November 29 till December 6.
And you may not think I care for you
When you know down inside that I really do

Offline tiga

• Exhaling Carbon in the
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Yes Hampson has taken a mark!
« Reply #21 on: November 09, 2011, 01:13:54 PM »
Hope he's not a client....

Dubstep Dookie

« Reply #22 on: November 09, 2011, 01:39:16 PM »
Since when did Relton Roberts get a gridiron contract?  :burgereater

Offline Willy

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • All up inside ya.
« Reply #23 on: November 09, 2011, 03:53:30 PM »
Relton's trimmed down. Might be planning a comeback.

Offline Penelope

• Internet nuffer and sooky jellyfish
  • RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #24 on: November 09, 2011, 05:24:15 PM »
Pretty sure that is not relton - he knows to drop his pants before taking a dump
“For My thoughts are not your thoughts,
Nor are your ways my ways,” says the Lord.

“For as the heavens are higher than the earth,
So are my ways higher than your ways,
And my thoughts than your thoughts."

Yahweh? or the great Clawski?

yaw rehto eht dellorcs ti fi daer ot reisae eb dluow tI

Offline The Big Richo

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Keyboard Hero
« Reply #25 on: November 09, 2011, 10:36:04 PM »
I thought the article regarding Geelong's attitude towards this summed up why they are a better club than most at the moment.
Who isn't a fan of the thinking man's orange Tim Fleming?

Gerks 27/6/11

But you see, it's not me, it's not my family.
In your head, in your head they are fighting,
With their tanks and their bombs,
And their bombs and their guns.
In your head, in your head, they are crying...

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #26 on: November 10, 2011, 04:37:12 PM »
They head off at the end of this month according to Jacko. Not offically announced yet. I think he said they'll be gone for 10 days. The first time overseas for a number of the young boys. He's not looking forward to another 15 hour trip on a plane.

Offline RFC_Official

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #27 on: November 10, 2011, 04:57:20 PM »
They head off at the end of this month according to Jacko. Not offically announced yet. I think he said they'll be gone for 10 days. The first time overseas for a number of the young boys. He's not looking forward to another 15 hour trip on a plane.

End of the month after the draft, away for a week.

Online WilliamPowell

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One Eyed Richmond
« Reply #28 on: November 10, 2011, 05:37:23 PM »
He's not looking forward to another 15 hour trip on a plane.

Poor bloke  ::) ::)  :wallywink

Some people never get the opportunity to travel to the States or anywhere overseas for that matter and would love to be in Dan's position

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #29 on: November 11, 2011, 02:56:36 AM »
I couldn't find this on the web so I scanned it in. It mentions Richmond near the end of the story...

THE AMAZING RACE
By Matt Windley
Herald-Sun
Friday 11 Nov 2011, page 102

Preparation overseas has become the height of fashion for some football clubs, while others opt for a more low-key build-up over summer

THE pre-season training camp.

Some clubs swear by it, others don't.

Some clubs are prepared to spend big on it, others have different priorities.

Getting the best preparation at a swanky overseas resort has become something of an arms race in recent years.

By Christmas Collingwood, Gold Coast and North Melbourne players will have been subjected to altitude training in the US.

Richmond would have also been to the US, Carlton to the piercing heat of the Middle East and Port Adelaide to picturesque southern New Zealand.

The Magpies, though, have been the altitude pioneers and will later this month embark upon the same path they have trekked almost every year since 2004.

``I think it's the sixth time in seven years that we're headed to Arizona,'' football manager Geoff Walsh said.

``(Club director of sports science) David Buttifant is a strong disciple of it, so we think the residual effect, year after year, gives the boys a strong base to work from. We're pretty much converted to the benefits of altitude training.

``To go one-off and never go again would be a waste of time and money, but if you can manage to put a program together over a number of years it definitely gives you some sort of cumulative effect.''

Adelaide is another altitude sympathiser.

The Crows use a local altitude training centre, but the club is considering building an altitude room of its own at West Lakes.

Others are less convinced.

And when the most vocal opponent of the pre-season camp's merits -- and its cost -- is the winner of three of the past five premierships, you have to take notice.

``The issue is that if we commit to altitude training in its most genuine form, you're really committing to five years,'' Geelong chief executive Brian Cook said this week.

``So that has a huge financial impact on our football club and so we actually ask ourselves, `Can we get better value for our dollar training some other way?'

``Sports science knows that this is not a conclusive science, but we don't turn over $70 million like Collingwood. We just try to get the best value for our buck . . . you can train hard anywhere.''

But is the chief benefit of the trip simply fitness or camaraderie?

Power football manager Peter Rohde said: ``It's mainly about getting our group together for a bit of team bonding.

``We're doing some outdoor-type activities. Obviously in Christchurch you can imagine the sorts of things we'll be doing around there (given the terrain).

``Every year we've had some sort of camp for the players, whether it be regional South Australian stuff, Tassie, Gold Coast.

``It gives you a chance to go away and spend a fair bit of time on leadership and get a lot of team meetings out of the way, but most of all it's just time spent together.''

For those staying put, the reasons are varied.

West Coast and Sydney are comfortable in their own climates, Melbourne and St Kilda want and need time in their new facilities under new coaches.

Greater Western Sydney is still getting its list together, while Essendon simply says it has ``other priorities''.

``We're probably a bit unusual in that regard, most clubs do something,'' Bombers football manager Paul Hamilton said.

``But from our point of view we've just got so much teaching to do, the coaches have just got so much they want to teach and so much they want to get done in terms of game plan, the physical side of the game.

``I suppose right at the moment there are other priorities . . . that might change, but at the moment it's about the development, the learning and the physical development.''

WHERE IN THE WORLD ARE OUR AFL CLUBS?

ADELAIDE
WHERE: Kent Town, Adelaide
(Altitude Training
Solution Centre)
WHEN: October-November
THEY SAY: "We've been exploring getting an altitude room. It's a huge expenditure, so we want to make sure we do the research; that we know what we're getting into. We've had seven or eight players using the new facilities in the city."
- Physical performance manager Stephen Schwerdt

BRISBANE LIONS
WHERE: Noosa Heads,
Qld
WHEN: Early November
THEY SAY: "Everyone's been off for the holidays and had a rest, so it gives us the chance to get time to ourselves and provide information to the players that they've probably gotten spasmodically throughout the pre-season in the past."
- Coach Michael Voss

CARLTON
WHERE: Doha, Qatar and Abu Dhabi, UAE
WHEN: Late October -
early November
THEY SAY: "Getting out of bed at 5.30 each morning puts your mind in a pretty negative space, so it's a big thing to get yourself up and about. Getting punishments for not doing something right is pretty tough, but it forces the boys to get each other through, which is something you can't do on your own."
- Defender David Ellard

COLLINGWOOD
WHERE: Flagstaff, Arizona, US
WHEN: Late November -
early December
THEY SAY: "David Buttifant is a strong disciple of (altitude training), so we think the residual effect, year after year, gives the boys a strong base to work from. We're pretty much converted to the benefits of it."
- Football manager Geoff Walsh

FREMANTLE
WHERE: Esperance, WA
WHEN: Mid-February
THEY SAY: "A number of players have been at the club training for the past couple of weeks, but pre-season training started officially on Monday. Esperance is a three-four day community camp coinciding with week two, Round 1, of the NAB Cup."
- Club spokesman.

GEELONG
WHERE: Falls Creek (younger players only)
WHEN: Mid-November
THEY SAY: "The issue is that if we commit to altitude training in its most genuine form, you're really committing to five years.
We don't turn over $70 million like Collingwood. We're not flushed with dollars, but we want to make sure that it doesn't stop our innovation. We just try to get the best value for our buck ... you can train hard anywhere."
- Chief executive Brian Cook

GOLD COAST
WHERE: Flagstaff, Arizona
WHEN: Early-mid November
THEY SAY: "It's going to
be physically demanding with hikes, mountain bike rides, a lot of track work, gym sessions, skill work.
It'll be a lot of the things that we do normally, just in a different environment. It's going to be invaluable."
- Football manager Marcus Ashcroft

HAWTHORN
WHERE: Kokoda Trek, PNG; Sunshine Coast, Qld
WHEN: PNG, mid-November; Qld mid-December
THEY SAY: "The players that haven't been before will be heading to Kokoda next week and then we've got a team camp in Queensland. It'll be conditioning and football, there's a whole heap of benefits, but the ability to have the group of players together so you can do a whole range of activities - some physical, some footy related, others strategic - and tick off a lot of those things before Christmas."
- Football manager Mark Evans

NORTH MELBOURNE
WHERE: Park City, Utah, US
WHEN: Late October-early November
THEY SAY: "We think it is great to come back to the same venue and conduct some of the same sessions and compare that with where we were this time last year. The players can see that. They can see the benefits that they are going to get, not only next season, but it will compound in future seasons."
- Coach Brad Scott

PORT ADELAIDE
WHERE: Christchurch,
New Zealand
WHEN: Early December
THEY SAY: "It's mainly about getting our group together for a bit of team bonding. We're doing some outdoor-type activities. Every year we've had some sort of camp for the players ... it gives you a chance to go away and spend a fair bit of time on leadership and get a lot of team meetings out of the way."
- Football manager Peter Rohde

RICHMOND
WHERE: Phoenix,
Arizona, US
WHEN: Late November - early December
THEY SAY: "We've got a bit of a relationship with a group over there called Athlete's Performance and they've got state of the art facilities, apparently they're pretty mind-blowing. So it's not about altitude, I think it's more about training in elite facilities, a different environment."
- Defender David Astbury

WESTERN BULLDOGS
WHERE: Gold Coast
WHEN: Yet to be decided
THEY SAY: "We're so lucky to have the Vic Uni just around the corner where we can tap in to some amazing facilities. We're throwing a few ideas around about maybe
having a mental break as much as anything, going somewhere different for three or four days and doing a little bit of training, but actually releasing the grind of four or five months of training."
- Coach Brendan McCartney