Author Topic: Meet Captain Kane  (Read 1167 times)

Bulluss

Meet Captain Kane
« on: March 06, 2005, 11:04:23 AM »
This is form todays Herald Sun page 54(Sunday) in Rosanne Michie's Gossip column within the Sports part.

Couldnt find it on the net so i will type it.

Kane Johnson will lead the Richmond Football Club this year. A source close to the Tigers has exclusively revealed to us what has been one of the most tightly contested captaincy decisions in years.

The choice of Johnson over Nathan Brown, Joel Bowden and Matthew Richardson was ultimately decided by the players.

"He was the overwhelming favourite from both the playing group and the football management," said a source associated with the selection process. "We think he'll be fantastic. He has all the qualities we need and is a born leader."

Nevertheless, Brown led the Tigers this weekend which meant each captaincy contender had a chance to experience the role.

While Terry Wallace used a management consultant to assist with the criteria and heavily relied on the playing group's opinion for the top job, we understand he will decide the deputies himself.

I wonder if they will make a decision before our game against Brisbane next Saturday.

Offline JohnF

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • ROFLMAO
Re: Meet Captain Kane
« Reply #1 on: March 06, 2005, 04:58:40 PM »
The logical choice.

Offline WilliamPowell

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Better to ignore a fool than encourage one
    • One Eyed Richmond
« Reply #2 on: March 06, 2005, 05:27:54 PM »
Well typed Bull :thumbsup :lol

Nevertheless, Brown led the Tigers this weekend which meant each captaincy contender had a chance to experience the role.

I wonder if they will make a decision before our game against Brisbane next Saturday.

That's interesting Richo hasn't acutally had his turn yet - he was due to Captain the team next Saturday against Brisbane. :-\ :-[

I read somewhere that the announcement was being bought forward to enable our Captain to be part of the pre-season "AFL Captains" photo the AFL usually does a couple of weeks before the season starts.
"Oh yes I am a dreamer, I still see us flying high!"

from the song "Don't Walk Away" by Pat Benatar 1988 (Wide Awake In Dreamland)

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
« Reply #3 on: March 07, 2005, 01:41:05 AM »
From memory it was either Joel or Kane on SEN who said the announcement was going to made in time for the family day (the old date March 13) so the last of the 4 to get his turn (which ended up being Richo) didn't have much chance to impress. I would've thought the Pies game cost Richo any chance to be captain anyhow.

If the story is on the money then congrats to Sugar  :cheers. Agree with John the logicial choice. Johnno has it for a couple of years before passing it on to someone from the new generation like Cogs.
All you touch and all you see is all your life will ever be - Pink Floyd

froars

« Reply #4 on: March 07, 2005, 06:22:51 AM »
I reckon you can gauge what a player is like when the team he leaves supporters are still full of praise for him.
Reading BF the other day and can't find the thread, but lots of positive messages about him when he played at the Crows.
I have no problems with Kane - think he will be good.

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
Captain to be announced next Tuesday
« Reply #5 on: March 09, 2005, 03:03:15 AM »
Tigers' new leader soon
09 March 2005   
Herald Sun

RICHMOND will announce the winner of its captaincy race on Tuesday.

Matthew Richardson gets his turn to lead the Tigers against Brisbane on Saturday before the club's match-committee makes a final call on the four-way tussle.

Kane Johnson is warming as favourite ahead of Richardson, Joel Bowden and Nathan Brown.

All three have had the chance to captain the club during the practice match series. The Tigers yesterday received a leadership report on all four from outside consultants.

"We will still select our leader, but it just gives you a bit of guidance," coach Terry Wallace said yesterday.

http://www.heraldsun.news.com.au/footy/common/story_page/0,8033,12488346%255E19771,00.html