Author Topic: Sam Blease to Richmond  (Read 14121 times)

10 FLAGS

Re: Sam Blease to Richmond
« Reply #45 on: October 02, 2011, 12:04:54 PM »
If he's an outside player we have lots of them already in Nason, White, Webberley we dont need any more.  I agree none of them are A graders but its not where the game is won, we should focus elsewhere with our top picks.

No wonder we cant make the eight and our supporters want them to hang around  :banghead

Offline Mr Magic

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #46 on: October 02, 2011, 12:15:12 PM »
Outside runners are easier to find

Key word you're missing is quality.

Offline tigs2011

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #47 on: October 02, 2011, 12:33:52 PM »
just think of how many times you've seen Ling standing in a tackle and getting a kick or hand ball away.

Tuck actually gets criticised for this.

The difference though, (in previous years anyway) is that geelong players were smart enough to play in front and good enough to take advantage, whereas with tuck it was the opposition players who were smart enough to play in front and good enough to win the ball.

A good team would take advantage of Tuck's long bombs.

the claw

« Reply #48 on: October 02, 2011, 02:01:26 PM »
we lack depth  as much as anything.

We lack quality outside runners claw. Blease looks like a good fit to me.
Happy for us to pursue this young player.

Outside runners are easier to find and the game is won in winning collisons these days.  Not that I know Blease from a piece of cheese, but if he is an outside runner, dont bother.  We need more heavy collision based midfielders.

Look at how Geelong won this year, they hardly did the short kick kick to a free man, they kicked long to contests and won them.  They have also for the last few years had bigger players who can stand up in a tackle, just think of how many times you've seen Ling standing in a tackle and getting a kick or hand ball away.

This is where strong bodied players like Dustin Martin are crucial to our future sucess.  If he's an outside player we have lots of them already in Nason, White, Webberley we dont need any more.  I agree none of them are A graders but its not where the game is won, we should focus elsewhere with our top picks.
i agree we lack  for quality outside players but we lack for many types.

i ws making the point that blease cost melb pick 17 they used a very valuable pick to target possibly a quality outside player. do you think a pick somewhere between 19 and 35  more likely closer to 30  will get the deal done.

me id rather keep our pick and target a couple of players of a type we need who also may be quality. our compo pick will not get the deal done i cannot stress this enough.
what is more realistic is our compo pick and our third rounder. or god forbid pick 14.

i am dead set against trading out of early rounds in the draft. at least not until we establish a very good core group with structure also catered to. we are nowhere near that imo.

if we finish say 9th next yr which imo is unlikely its realistically more likely somewhere around 12th again, but 9th will do we will have picks 10, 28, the compo pick realistically 25 - 35 and 46.
those two picks so close to each other 28/cs pick  opens up real possibilities for us.

i for one have at times wrongly insisted we utilise the nd at all costs. over the yrs i have come to learn there is times when it may be better to trade out of your picks for needs.

in 2004 we would have been better served keeping a quality player in ottens, as it was ottens was going to go no matter what because of the shoddy way we treated him. geelong offered us picks 12 and 16 but originally it was picks 12 and maloney.
geelong were smart. happy to trade out of a very shallow draft and yeah we can make that argument this yr. but geelong had just made finals and with stkilda looked good things for yrs to come.
they traded for a proven player people forget ottens was an aa in 2001 or 2002 and copped his fair share of injuries after it. they read the 2004 draft better than most but the thing is they targeted a proven player key to structure and they had already shown they were genuine finals contenders for yrs to come.

sam blease is an outside mid, yes very skilled but hes done nothing no more than any kid we may take in the draft totally unproven due to injury but he has been in melbournes system for 3 yrs taken in 08.hes not critical to structure and we should be able to find a player or two of his ilk without trading away very valuable picks. to top it off hes a contracted player he signed for two yrs in 2010 so if we chase him melbourne hold all the cards.
what would you ask for if you were melb. here they have a kid they have put 3 yrs into despite injuries a kid who was taken at pick 17. sheesh its more than likely they will ask for pick 14.
« Last Edit: October 02, 2011, 02:17:40 PM by the claw »

the claw

« Reply #49 on: October 02, 2011, 02:15:32 PM »
we lack depth  as much as anything.

We lack quality outside runners claw. Blease looks like a good fit to me.
Happy for us to pursue this young player.

Outside runners are easier to find and the game is won in winning collisons these days.  Not that I know Blease from a piece of cheese, but if he is an outside runner, dont bother.  We need more heavy collision based midfielders.

Look at how Geelong won this year, they hardly did the short kick kick to a free man, they kicked long to contests and won them.  They have also for the last few years had bigger players who can stand up in a tackle, just think of how many times you've seen Ling standing in a tackle and getting a kick or hand ball away.

This is where strong bodied players like Dustin Martin are crucial to our future sucess.  If he's an outside player we have lots of them already in Nason, White, Webberley we dont need any more.  I agree none of them are A graders but its not where the game is won, we should focus elsewhere with our top picks.
would agree with all of that apart from the nason white webberley comments.
they should be cut as soon as we can do it. we need 3 or 4 high quality outside mids and i know this sounds like a contradiction.
im just a little more patient than most and believe we  are still in rebuild mode. i believe nason webberley and white are easily improved on id be looking long term to improve on grigg as well.far too many of our running players lack polish its something that cant be fixed in one draft and targeting just one player with our first pick or two or three picks  wont help matters.

Offline tigs2011

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #50 on: October 02, 2011, 02:47:48 PM »
claw. compo picks will push back 28/46 a fair way. Our 2nd rounder will be 10 picks after the last compo pick is taken. Approx 40-45.

Offline The Mole

• Jack Dyer medallist
« Reply #51 on: October 02, 2011, 05:14:13 PM »
You can put this rumour to bed now  it wont happen

Offline Coach

• Hardly A Prude
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Depend on Schulzy
« Reply #52 on: October 02, 2011, 05:16:36 PM »
LMAO. poo thread

Offline yellowandback

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #53 on: October 02, 2011, 07:34:37 PM »
Exactly, 4 pages on the basis of  :shh and this kid being. Tiger fan being the rationale for the trade.

I might start with a plYer we need like Nic Nat.

"Nic Nat to Richmond"

:shh :shh :shh :shh

I heard he was a clarEmont fan
It's that simple Spud
"I discussed (it) with my three daughters, my wife and my 82-year-old mum, because it has really affected me … If those comments … were made about one of my daughters, it would make the hairs on the back of my neck stand up. I would not have liked it at all.”

Offline tiger till i die

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #54 on: October 02, 2011, 07:53:25 PM »
agree poo thread with no back bone

Offline TigerLand

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • I <3 Mrs Hardwick
« Reply #55 on: October 02, 2011, 08:09:45 PM »
its funny those who want blease in one breath  think our compensation pick will do it yet blease was a pp at 17 had what 2 yrs development and state our compensation pick is worth something between 19 and 35 where is the reality.

keep the pick until next yr its supposed to be even stronger than than 2010.  has anyone even bothered to look at the quality of kids taken between 19 and 40 last yr.
sheesh next yr our third rounder could get us another helbig yet people want to trade the cs and a third rounder for blease.
we lack depth  as much as anything. yet people want to trade out of picks for one player and here i was thinking all of us surely had learnt something from  yrs of mediocrity.

You can't buy a house with peanuts claw. You need to pay what is expected.

10 Helbigs for depth wont win us a premiership. We need more A Graders. Blease will be close to one.
Go Tigers!

10 FLAGS

« Reply #56 on: October 02, 2011, 08:11:46 PM »
its funny those who want blease in one breath  think our compensation pick will do it yet blease was a pp at 17 had what 2 yrs development and state our compensation pick is worth something between 19 and 35 where is the reality.

keep the pick until next yr its supposed to be even stronger than than 2010.  has anyone even bothered to look at the quality of kids taken between 19 and 40 last yr.
sheesh next yr our third rounder could get us another helbig yet people want to trade the cs and a third rounder for blease.
we lack depth  as much as anything. yet people want to trade out of picks for one player and here i was thinking all of us surely had learnt something from  yrs of mediocrity.

You can't buy a house with peanuts claw. You need to pay what is expected.

10 Helbigs for depth wont win us a premiership. We need more A Graders. Blease will be close to one.

I actually put up a  new thread about our A B C and D graders and we are particularly short in A and Bs currently. We have a whopping list of Ds and thats where the problem lies.

Offline Mr Magic

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #57 on: October 02, 2011, 08:36:06 PM »

Damn. Oh well I guess we're stuck with Webberley, Nason & White for a while yet. :-\

Offline TigerLand

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • I <3 Mrs Hardwick
« Reply #58 on: October 02, 2011, 08:43:39 PM »

Any mail on why and from which party, there were pretty solid hints that its being seriously considered. Has nothing to do with who growing up as a RFC supporter, which I don't even think is true.
Don't believe that it's a 100% no. Anything can happen in footy. I just hope if our club is in a position to do a deal it considers it and wins out of it.
Go Tigers!

Offline RFC_Official

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #59 on: October 02, 2011, 08:48:24 PM »
Exactly, 4 pages on the basis of  :shh and this kid being. Tiger fan being the rationale for the trade.

I might start with a plYer we need like Nic Nat.

"Nic Nat to Richmond"

:shh :shh :shh :shh

I heard he was a clarEmont fan

Funny you picked him...he was in the office on Friday (for AFL community reasons) so we all made that gag, he is a fair unit too. Also weird having other teams players walk into Punt Road with their team gear. Andy Krakouer visited us during the year, that black and white shirt he was wearing...yuck.