Author Topic: Richmond and Carlton keep season opener  (Read 4605 times)

Offline 1965

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Don't water the rocks
Re: Richmond and Carlton keep season opener
« Reply #15 on: October 12, 2011, 10:11:44 AM »
Good news as far as off-field at least - big crowd and tv audience helps with more $$$ and keeping sponsors happy. On the field it could get ugly again  :-\,

Wouldn't it be away? Seeing that the last game we played against them was home?

There will be a bigger crowd if its our home game.. (We are a bigger club) :gotigers
The rotation is based on round 1 only. Round 1 this year was Carlton's home game and the 103 point nightmare  :P in round 15 was ours. Next year those two games will be reversed with round 1 our home game and the return game later on in the season Carlton's home game.

ps. Agree with your last point Mrakov  :thumbsup

I only speak the truth

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PqbmHjXIoGk

:thumbsup
Yeah we're already going to vote for him mate, you don't need to keep selling it.....

Online one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #16 on: October 13, 2011, 01:49:50 AM »
Sydney derby to launch season
Caroline Wilson
October 13, 2011

SYDNEY will become the centre of the AFL universe when the 2012 season kicks off, with the competition not only gatecrashing the NRL season one week early, but looking at moving the official season launch to Sydney in March.

And Greater Western Sydney - which will take on the Swans on March 24 at ANZ Stadium - has not given up in trying to persuade Barry Hall to change his mind about retirement to become the star attraction of the on-field season launch.

The Giants have unofficially won AFL approval to make their debut on the Saturday night after the NAB Cup grand final. The league will fixture the GWS against the Swans in a game to be televised on Channel Seven and Fox Sports.

AFL officials met executives from the Swans and the Giants in Sydney last week to finalise plans for the game. Sydney's west will also play host to the AFL draft next month and next year's season launch. Although Essendon was at one stage considered as a worthy opponent as the first opponent to the league's 18th team, the view is that the Bombers already have ownership on key games - notably Anzac Day and the Dreamtime game.

Carlton and Richmond will launch the remainder of round one at the MCG on Thursday, March 29.

http://www.theage.com.au/afl/afl-news/sydney-derby-to-launch-season-20111012-1llfi.html#ixzz1aZy6PqBl

Offline tiger101

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #17 on: October 13, 2011, 02:23:53 AM »
GWS will probably cop a belting and AFL will have worrying headlines about the team and the future in western sydney for the week afterwards. But thats the risk they run by isolating it to be a single game a weekend before the rest of the comp start.

P.S I don't think either team(GWS Swans) will go deep in the NAB cup unlike the high possibility that Carlton will so they might want the 2 week break before the season.

Offline Owl

• Magnificent Bastard
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Bring me TWO chickens
« Reply #18 on: October 13, 2011, 09:43:13 AM »
So we didn't retain the season opener.  What sort of double talk BS is this?
Lots of people name their swords......

Offline JVT

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #19 on: October 13, 2011, 10:07:37 AM »
So we didn't retain the season opener.  What sort of double talk BS is this?
We did, Sydney teams don't count  :thumbsup

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
« Reply #20 on: October 19, 2011, 06:42:22 PM »
Benny Gale was on the Ch 10 news saying he was confident we'd keep the season opener. Caro on 3aw now saying Benny will be disappointed. I'm presuming she's talking about the Sydney derby being first up next year.
All you touch and all you see is all your life will ever be - Pink Floyd

Offline tigs2011

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #21 on: October 19, 2011, 08:33:02 PM »
Benny Gale was on the Ch 10 news saying he was confident we'd keep the season opener. Caro on 3aw now saying Benny will be disappointed. I'm presuming she's talking about the Sydney derby being first up next year.

Yer i presume so too. But then what Caro fails to realise no one gives a poo nor will they watch Sydney vs GWS  :lol

Online one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #22 on: October 20, 2011, 03:30:11 AM »

Yer i presume so too. But then what Caro fails to realise no one gives a poo nor will they watch Sydney vs GWS  :lol
Yep Caro confirmed later on that she was referring to the Sydney derby as the season opener.

Offline tigs2011

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #23 on: October 20, 2011, 10:00:05 AM »

Yep Caro confirmed later on that she was referring to the Sydney derby as the season opener.

So we still have the season opener for people who want to watch  :lol

AFL should scrap that idea unless GWS get some mature body players that will put up a fight. Bloody embarrassing

Online one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #24 on: October 20, 2011, 05:51:34 PM »
Richmond_FC twitter:

"The AFL has confirmed we will play Round 1 2012 in our now traditional Thursday night slot against @Carlton_FC #gotiges"

:thumbsup

Offline Eat_em_Alive

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #25 on: October 20, 2011, 07:10:09 PM »

So we still have the season opener for people who want to watch  :lol

AFL should scrap that idea unless GWS get some mature body players that will put up a fight. Bloody embarrassing
Dont forget gws have the wood on sydney.... cough*
The anywhere, anytime Tigers.
E A T  E M  A L I V E  M O F O S