Author Topic: Neville Crowe goes for a swim / rescued by Tiger supporter  (Read 1217 times)

Offline froars

• Premiership Captain
  • For We're From Tigerland
Neville Crowe goes for a swim / rescued by Tiger supporter
« on: September 18, 2012, 10:29:19 AM »
Poor old Neville.

Lucky a Tiger supporter bystander was close by.

http://www.3aw.com.au/blogs/breaking-news-blog/richmond-legend-rescued-by-tiger-supporter/20120918-26391.html

This morning, the Rumour file learned Richmond club legend Neville Crowe took a nasty spill while riding his bicycle along the Yarra in North Richmond at the weekend.

He tumbled eight metres into the River and was saved by a passing jogger who happened to be a Richmond fanatic.

Neil Mitchell chased down the good Samaritan, John Greene, for a quick chat this morning.

"He was possibly in danger of drowning.  When his head popped up in the water it was a great relief but he definitely needed to be pulled out," Mr. Greene told Neil Mitchell.

LISTEN BELOW: Neil Mitchell talks with John Greene

Greene said it required a daisy chain of other bystanders to pull him out of the water.

"We all went down the bank to the edge of river and I was able to drag him through the mud to the the embankment.  Luckily we were able to form a human chain and drag him out."

The 75-year old Crowe, who suffers from alzheimer's, played for Richmond from 1957-1967 and served as the club President from 1987-1993.  He retired in 2008 after serving the club for over fifty years.

IMAGE: 1967...Neville Crowe and John Nicholls contesting hit out at Carlton ground.

"It took a few seconds, but I recognised that familiar mustache and told him he was in good hands.  My family are Richmond supporters through and through," Greene said.

Unable to reach Crowe's wife, Greene rang Brendon Gale, CEO of the Richmond football club and let him know what happened.  He then drove the footy legend home to his house in Burwood.

"What better then a Richmond supporter hero to pull another Richmond hero out of the Yarra," Neil Mitchell said.
« Last Edit: September 18, 2012, 01:14:15 PM by one-eyed »

Offline Phil Mrakov

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • They said I could be anything so I became Phil
Re: Neville Crowe goes for a swim
« Reply #1 on: September 18, 2012, 11:05:26 AM »
Poor Nev.

Love ya mate.
hhhaaarrgghhh hhhhaaarrggghhh hhhhaaaarrrggghh
HHAAARRRGGGHHHH HHHHAAARRRGGGHHHH HHHHHAAAAARRRRGGGGGHHHHH

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
Re: Neville Crowe goes for a swim / rescued by Tiger supporter
« Reply #2 on: September 18, 2012, 01:11:03 PM »
Richmond legend Neville Crowe pulled to safety by stranger after Yarra River bike plunge

Michelle Ainsworth
    September 18, 2012 11:24AM

RICHMOND legend Neville Crowe has been rescued after falling off his bike into the Yarra River.

The 75-year-old former club captain and president, who suffers from Alzheimer’s disease, was riding along the Yarra near Abbotsford, in Melbourne's inner east, when he fell after swerving to miss another rider.

A jogger found Mr Crowe struggling in the water.

In an effort to help pull Mr Crowe out of the river he made a daisy-chain with other bystanders.

The rescuer, John Greene, is a lifelong Richmond supporter, and said he recognised Mr Crowe by his moustache.

"It took a few seconds, but I recognised that familiar moustache and told him he was in good hands.  My family are Richmond supporters through and through," Mr Greene told 3AW of the weekend rescue.

"He was possibly in danger of drowning.  When his head popped up in the water it was a great relief but he definitely needed to be pulled out.

"We all went down the bank to the edge of river and I was able to drag him through the mud to the embankment.  Luckily we were able to form a human chain and dragged him out."

Mr Greene was unable to contact Mr Crowe’s wife so drove him home to his house in Burwood after the rescue.

Mr Crowe retired just four years ago after he played 151 games for Richmond and was captain from 1963-66.

In 1990 he became the club’s president and helped them out of near financial ruin by raising $1.5million in 10 weeks.

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/news/richmond-legend-neville-crowe-pulled-to-safety-after-yarra-river-plunge/story-e6frf7jo-1226476404104

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #3 on: September 18, 2012, 01:13:49 PM »
Life-long fan pulls flailing Tigers great from Yarra
Megan Levy
The Age
September 18, 2012 - 10:28AM

Richmond Football Club legend Neville Crowe was rescued from the Yarra River at the weekend after he lost control of his bicycle on a bend and careered into the water.

A passing jogger, who happened to be a life-long Tigers supporter, dived into the muddy river and pulled the 75-year-old club stalwart to safety with the help of other passers-by who formed a human chain to get him to the embankment.

John Greene said he was out for his morning run along the Yarra in Richmond on Saturday when he saw a cyclist flailing in the water. The cyclist appeared to have misjudged a bend and had shot about eight metres off the edge of the bicycle path into the river.

It wasn't until Mr Greene had dragged the man to the embankment that he recognised the former Richmond captain, who also served as club president from 1987 to 1993.

"As soon as he popped up I just grabbed him in a bear hug and dragged him as quickly as I could into the mud and onto the embankment so that he wasn't going to go back under the water," Mr Greene told radio station 3AW.

"When I had a closer look I recognised that familiar moustache. My family have been Richmond members for a long, long time. My grandmother went for 40-odd years and missed about five games, so we're Richmond people through and through. I certainly recognised him straight away and told him he was in good hands and that was that."

Mr Greene said Crowe was still remarkably fit for a 75-year-old and kept hold of his bicycle in the water.

"Thankfully he had surfaced and his head had popped up and I was able to drag him through the mud and up to the edge of the embankment and we formed a human chain and dragged him out," Mr Greene said.

"He was a little bit shocked and bewildered, as you would be if you tumbled ... eight metres off your bike on a nice leisurely morning ride.

"Lucky he is so fit because I don't think he would have been able to drag himself to the surface of the water and get out if he wasn't so fit still."

Crowe's rescuers took him to a local business, where he was given coffee and kept warm while Mr Greene phoned Richmond CEO Brendon Gale.

Mr Greene than ran home and got his car before driving Crowe back to his Burwood home.

"The people that all helped out were fantastic as well. It wasn't just me," Mr Greene said.

Crowe galvanised the Richmond Football Club during the 1990 Save Our Skins campaign, which saved the club from financial ruin. He is also well known for missing the 1967 VFL Grand Final through suspension, after he was reported in the second semi-final for striking Carlton ruckman John Nicholls.

Crowe insists to this day that he didn't punch Nicholls, that he slapped at him and the slap missed.

http://www.theage.com.au/afl/afl-news/lifelong-fan-pulls-flailing-tigers-great-from-yarra-20120918-2639g.html#ixzz26msNBQ6c

Offline Owl

• Magnificent Bastard
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Bring me TWO chickens
« Reply #4 on: September 18, 2012, 05:08:14 PM »
Nev is a legend.  Hope the ol duffer is ok.
Lots of people name their swords......

TigerTimeII

« Reply #5 on: September 18, 2012, 05:33:00 PM »
many ppl hate him though and would say different things regarding this

Offline bojangles17

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Platinum member 33 years
« Reply #6 on: September 18, 2012, 07:12:03 PM »

For saving the club id doubt it :lol
RFC 1885, Often Imitated, Never Equalled

Offline froars

• Premiership Captain
  • For We're From Tigerland
« Reply #7 on: September 18, 2012, 07:24:15 PM »
WGAF what they think - without him the club wouldn't exist.

Offline cub

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • "Tigertime!"
    • bantigertrade
« Reply #8 on: September 18, 2012, 08:19:24 PM »
If he fell in the Yarra,  still time!

TigerTimeII

« Reply #9 on: September 18, 2012, 08:37:21 PM »

U have no idea.ho many.. Can tell u though there Re heaps...

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond

Offline bojangles17

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Platinum member 33 years
« Reply #11 on: September 18, 2012, 09:07:33 PM »

Kb perhaps however the vast majority as evidenced on here are right behind him :clapping
RFC 1885, Often Imitated, Never Equalled

Offline WilliamPowell

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Better to ignore a fool than encourage one
    • One Eyed Richmond
« Reply #12 on: September 18, 2012, 09:31:41 PM »

Kb perhaps however the vast majority as evidenced on here are right behind him :clapping

Certainly not KB, ancient history. Sorted out their differences a fair while back
"Oh yes I am a dreamer, I still see us flying high!"

from the song "Don't Walk Away" by Pat Benatar 1988 (Wide Awake In Dreamland)

Offline Smokey

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #13 on: September 18, 2012, 09:37:21 PM »

And I can tell you there are heaps more supporters that think the opposite.  He was instrumental in saving of our club in the same mould as Don Scott or Jim Stynes and his work continued long after he stepped down from the presidency.  I was actively involved in an interstate supporters group a few years back and had the great fortune to interact with him on a number of occasions.  As the club's liaison officer he was driven (tireless) in his efforts to work for the betterment of the club despite his increasing age and failing health.  A better Richmond man you will never find.

:gotigers

Offline yellowandback

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #14 on: September 19, 2012, 04:38:20 AM »

This post is a direct reflection on you as a person. Kind of ironic  :P
It's that simple Spud
"I discussed (it) with my three daughters, my wife and my 82-year-old mum, because it has really affected me … If those comments … were made about one of my daughters, it would make the hairs on the back of my neck stand up. I would not have liked it at all.”