Author Topic: Thursfield retires [merged]  (Read 5870 times)

TigerTimeII

Re: Thursfield retires [merged]
« Reply #30 on: October 26, 2011, 07:12:27 AM »
Most interesting part of the article for mine was the last sentence about Gus.

He wanted a trade because Maric was coming to the Club  ::) ::)

Toughen up Gus for crying out loud  >:(

gus and blake are so similar in many ways lol

Offline Coach

• Hardly A Prude
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Depend on Schulzy
« Reply #31 on: October 26, 2011, 10:06:33 AM »

Has every right to be angry. Beefcake has been fantastic for us and we recruit Maric? Pathetic!

Offline WilliamPowell

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Better to ignore a fool than encourage one
    • One Eyed Richmond
« Reply #32 on: October 26, 2011, 10:25:45 AM »
Has every right to be angry. Beefcake has been fantastic for us and we recruit Maric? Pathetic!

Would think that the need to recruit Maric says more about "beefcake's" lack of improvement the last 12 months than anything else  ;D ;D

Wanting an easy out, rather than being prepared to fight for the number 1 ruck spot says something I reckon

As I said he needs to toughen up  ;D
"Oh yes I am a dreamer, I still see us flying high!"

from the song "Don't Walk Away" by Pat Benatar 1988 (Wide Awake In Dreamland)

Offline tiga

• Exhaling Carbon in the
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Yes Hampson has taken a mark!
« Reply #33 on: October 26, 2011, 11:34:55 AM »

Before too long Gus and Maric will be best buds and make a great combination. Gus will start fights and perform a hasty retreat so Maric can take on a clean up role.

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
« Reply #34 on: October 26, 2011, 01:08:44 PM »
It was revealed the Tigers offered the fullback a one-year contract to play on next season.

But Thursfield, just 25 and in the prime of his 77-game career, decided to retire.
Understandable as Thursty would know he'd only be back-up for a year and except for injuries spend virtually all of next season at Coburg.

Defenders Luke McGuane and Daniel Connors, both of whom expressed interest in a trade during the annual meat market, will both stay at the club.

They are contracted and have sat down with coaching staff to work through their positions on the list.

Angus Graham, who also asked for a trade given the club was bringing in Adelaide's Ivan Maric, will also continue.
Their position on the list will be at Coburg.
All you touch and all you see is all your life will ever be - Pink Floyd

gerkin greg

« Reply #35 on: October 26, 2011, 05:50:07 PM »

Offline Judge Roughneck

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Sir
« Reply #36 on: October 26, 2011, 06:11:59 PM »
Hope not.

The way I see it maric #1 ruck.

If grimes and astbury kick on play them with rance in the backline. Then if post has good preseason hr cam be 2nd ruck along with bench, fwd, swingman. 

I would have browne and derickx no1 ruck for coburg rotating between forward line.

In a perfect wold Gus playing coburg 2s or on thr coburg bench as a back up to browne, derickx.

Before too long Gus and Maric will be best buds and make a great combination. Gus will start fights and perform a hasty retreat so Maric can take on a clean up role.

Offline bojangles17

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Platinum member 33 years
« Reply #37 on: October 26, 2011, 06:23:01 PM »
sorry to see thursty go, was really building back to that form where he was looking to be anything ...wouldnt suprise at all to see him coaxed out of retirement in a year or two if a premiership contender is after a minder for some of the gorilla FF out there :shh
RFC 1885, Often Imitated, Never Equalled

Offline tigtuff12

• Jack Dyer medallist
  • For We're From Tigerland
« Reply #38 on: October 26, 2011, 08:01:47 PM »
...bit selfish of me but would've liked to see him go one more year - but would only really have been as insurance for an injury...always came across as a good bloke but unfortunately for him the younger key backs have either passed him or need to pass him which would mean a sever lack of game time...

as for gus asking for a trade - I'm with you WP...harden up, fight for a spot & prove that you've a) got what it takes and b) that it means something to you...hopefully the fact there was no trade will make him realise he has some work to do...
...the fighting fury...

Offline eliminator

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #39 on: October 27, 2011, 04:14:18 PM »
Didn't know Graham wanted to be traded. Agree Graham should toughen up and use this as motivation to improve his game. McGuane can consider himself extremely lucky to be still at the club

dwaino

« Reply #40 on: October 27, 2011, 06:35:28 PM »
Didn't know Graham wanted to be traded. Agree Graham should toughen up and use this as motivation to improve his game. McGuane can consider himself extremely lucky to be still at the club

With how public it was made that we were looking for a new ruckman this year I thought that would of been motivation enough for Graham. Dermy once said somewhere that Graham is just the kind of bloke that needs a regular kick in the arse to get going. If your club saying it is looking for a new #1 ruckman to replace you isn't a big enough boot then I don't know what is.

It's wishful thinking but I'm hoping Graham's reputation for being a spud dissipates a little while he sits in the twos over the next 12 months. Big fellas, especially ruckman in their mid 20s appear to carry a bit of currency and we might be able to unload him for a little more than a box of Cheds.

Offline 1965

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Don't water the rocks
« Reply #41 on: October 27, 2011, 06:37:36 PM »

With how public it was made that we were looking for a new ruckman this year I thought that would of been motivation enough for Graham. Dermy once said somewhere that Graham is just the kind of bloke that needs a regular kick in the behind to get going. If your club saying it is looking for a new #1 ruckman to replace you isn't a big enough boot then I don't know what is.

It's wishful thinking but I'm hoping Graham's reputation for being a spud dissipates a little while he sits in the twos over the next 12 months. Big fellas, especially ruckman in their mid 20s appear to carry a bit of currency and we might be able to unload him for a little more than a box of Cheds.

What are Cheds?

'65

dwaino

« Reply #42 on: October 27, 2011, 07:05:33 PM »

With how public it was made that we were looking for a new ruckman this year I thought that would of been motivation enough for Graham. Dermy once said somewhere that Graham is just the kind of bloke that needs a regular kick in the behind to get going. If your club saying it is looking for a new #1 ruckman to replace you isn't a big enough boot then I don't know what is.

What are Cheds?

'65

Offline Owl

• Magnificent Bastard
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Bring me TWO chickens
« Reply #43 on: October 28, 2011, 09:06:25 AM »
Geez, sounds like something you build up under folds of skin if you don't wash or something... sounds like a job for the adelaide crows FAAAAAARK o'metre
Lots of people name their swords......

Offline Loui Tufga

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Beaver BLT
« Reply #44 on: October 28, 2011, 09:33:08 AM »
Geez, sounds like something you build up under folds of skin if you don't wash or something...

There called Cheese sticks ;) My kids love e'm ;D