Author Topic: Graham hits training head-on  (Read 769 times)

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
Graham hits training head-on
« on: March 18, 2005, 02:36:26 AM »
Graham hits training head-on
5:09:40 PM Thu 17 March, 2005
Angus Morgan
Sportal for afl.com.au

After a career spanning 15 years at Hawthorn, new Tigers defender Mark Graham should have been entitled to ease himself through his first pre-season at Punt Road.

Instead, Graham attacked the summer program head-on, revelling in the new environment at Tigerland and feeling as though he had a new lease on life.

"For sure … not only mentally, but physically," Graham said.

"The training that I'd done at Hawthorn over the years, whilst it did vary a little bit, it was basically the same. Coming to Richmond, the fitness guys here, their fitness philosophy is more focussed on the upper body and not quite as heavy on the loading of the legs.

"I've done every session so far. Everyone talks it up this time of year, but I've done personal bests on the bench this pre-season and in chin-ups. My ability to recover after sessions is still there.

"Also we've done a fair bit of boxing and a heap of 'ks' in the pool as well, so it's been different, which is good, and refreshing, which is good," he said.

"I'm pretty lucky - touch wood - with my body, and I'm feeling fitter than ever."

While he may have been typecast as a dour defender in the brown and gold, Graham also managed to kick 61 goals in his 223 games at Hawthorn, and expects to spend some time up forward for the Tigers in 2005.

"I probably will have a bit of a pinch-hitting role. I had a chat with (coach) Terry (Wallace) a couple of weeks ago and he said - 'at the moment, you're a bit of a spare parts player. If we need you down back, we'll put you down but, you will go forward as well.'

"I could probably come off the bench as well, so I am a bit of a pinch-hitter, but more a spare parts player."

While his versatility is valued, Graham would like to put his stamp on his own position, and the ankle injury which will sideline Jay Schultz for the first six weeks of the season may just create an opening.

"He's a tall backman, and I'm not the same sort of player, but I play down back as well. We've also got Ray Hall and Shane Morrison who Terry has earmarked to play down back as well, so there's a bit of competition for the spots down back, which is good because competition brings out the best in everyone," Graham said.

"It's a huge shame what's happened to Jay. He didn’t have a great pre-season in the sense that he was injured a little bit, a couple of little niggles here and there, and he's just got back.

"I think Terry's a wrap for him because he can come in third-man-in and not only spoil but take a good grab. He's going to be a big loss for us in the first part of the year."

http://richmondfc.com.au/default.asp?pg=news&spg=display&articleid=190679