Author Topic: Tough times in Tigerland (theRoar)  (Read 545 times)

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
Tough times in Tigerland (theRoar)
« on: June 17, 2014, 03:24:25 AM »
Tough times in Tigerland
By Michael Pepicelli
theRoar.com.au
17 Jun 2014

Has there been a more disappointing team than the Richmond Tigers up to the midpoint of season 2014? It is certainly difficult to make that argument.

You could try and argue that the Eagles were supposed to take flight this season under the guidance of Adam Simpson and their potentially dominant forward line. And the Dogs were expected to take another step forward after their promising finish to 2013.

However, this year was seen as Richmond’s time to challenge for not just a finals berth, but a lofty position in the top eight.

Not even the biggest Richmond sceptic could have predicted that the Tigers would have lost more games in the first half of 2014 than they did during the whole 2013 home-and-away season. With the Swans awaiting them on Friday night, it will get worse before it gets better.

So what’s the problem at Punt Road?

Put simply, the players do not appear to play with the same desire that they displayed last year, and it is evident that an air of complacency has swept through the playing group.

One could forgive the perpetually suffering Tiger Army for getting ahead of themselves after a stellar 2013 season. The club featured in September for the first time since 2001, but it appears that the players have bought into the hype, and this is simply unforgivable.

Allowing such a sense of entitlement to permeate throughout the playing group signals a lack of leadership at the club. It is no coincidence that perennial finals contenders such as the Swans and the Hawks are home to some of the most highly regarded leaders in the game, and the Tigers seem to lack this presence.

By all accounts, Trent Cotchin understands what it takes to be a professional at the highest level, and we all know that he is a top notch player, but questions have to be asked about the leadership at Richmond.

It is extremely rare for a team to lose a game after being in front by 35 points at halftime, so rare in fact, that it has only happened once this season. This happened a couple of Sunday nights ago, when the Tigers allowed North to pile on eight goals to one in the third quarter, undoing all their good work from the first half of that game.

The Roos deserve much credit for their comeback, but there is just no excuse for the capitulation that allowed it to happen in the first place.

Some will point to a 20-point loss against the Dockers as a sign that things are not as bad as they seem for the Tigers. However, anybody who watched that game would know that Freo were never really challenged, and some late goals made the game appear much more of a contest than it actually was.

The real Richmond is indeed the uninspired outfit that we witnessed against North.

For a club that has traditionally thrived under inspirational leaders such as Francis Bourke and the late Tom Hafey, Cotchin just does not seem to fit the mould of a successful Richmond leader.

Hafey or Bourke would never have allowed their Tigers to play with the lack of intensity exhibited in the second half against North.

It is not all on Cotchin, however. Senior players and leadership group members such as Brett Deledio, Troy Chaplin, Ivan Maric and Daniel Jackson should also shoulder much of the blame.

It wouldn’t hurt Jack Riewoldt to show some semblance of leadership either. Despite the fact that he is not in the official leadership group, he is still a senior player at Richmond and it is imperative that he does more to prevent embarrassments.

More must be expected from Jack, and climbing fences and leading members of the media on a wild goose chase from Punt Road to Richmond Station just isn’t going to cut it. That might get you a gig as the newest myki ambassador, but it won’t help your club win games.

The sad thing is, that debacle may have been the Tigers’ most exciting moment for this season.

That in itself must be a sobering reality for Richmond fans, who must now sit back and face the all too familiar feeling of knowing that their season is over in June.

http://www.theroar.com.au/2014/06/17/tough-times-tigerland/

Rampstar

Re: Tough times in Tigerland (theRoar)
« Reply #1 on: June 17, 2014, 09:27:00 AM »
No worries Petrocelli  :whistle

Offline big tone

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #2 on: June 17, 2014, 10:39:42 AM »
I love Cotch and I hate reading that people think it's his fault we have been so putrid this year. Pretty sure he doesn't pick the team and I'm pretty sure it's not his game plan we are attempting to play. Nobody mentioned his name last year while we were winning regarding leadership. It's all to easy now to do so.
Have a look who is in our leadership group- pathetic leaders baring Cotch and not only that they have all struggled on field with their form to help Cotch.
Cotch gives his all for the RFC, the rest on that list really couldn't give a 2hit!

Now I'm not a fan of his dinky little kicks either, but I guess he thinks, if I can get it 15m ahead and then receive it back, it's one less time one of the other idiots don't have to touch it. I think it's Cotchs way of trying to be a good 'on field' leader. All it's doing is hurting his reputation.

Offline lamington

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • For We're From Tigerland
« Reply #3 on: June 17, 2014, 01:27:17 PM »
I agree with BT. The captain does lead on/off field. But leading isn't carrying over half the team because they choose not to man up or block or run harder etc.

For me if you've played over 100 games you need to be a leader/exude leadership qualities even if you aren't in the leadership group.

The lack of accountability from the players as well as the coaching staff is one of many things about the club that kills me.

Offline eliminator

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #4 on: June 18, 2014, 06:53:39 AM »
Lack of Leadership from the experienced players at this club is a major issue. Unfortunately when things get tough the majority of the experienced players go missing eg Grigg. Leadership cannot entirely fall on the shoulders of one player. Cotchin is heavily tagged each week and to expect him every time regardless of whether he is injured or not to lead from the front without assistance is unrealistic.

But our problems do not all boil down to just lack of leadership. As many people on this site have correctly identified our problems include but are not limited to the following:

Team selection-players are being picked not on form but who they are. Failure to try youth on a consistent basis. Failure to experiment and to take risks.
Players-too many passengers or down hill skiers. Not enough A or B grade players. Got too far head of themselves.
Style of Football- slow and error riddled. Failure to win contested possession. Failure to provide run. Slow static play. Failure to choose the best option on a repeated basis. Failure to play team oriented football
Recruiting- failure to recruit a quality small forward, failure to recruit a speedy player who can break lines like White did last year, failure apart from Miles to recruit a quality inside midfielder to replace Tuck
Coaching- Hardwick's refusal to make the hard decisions and the inability of his assistants excluding Choco. One game plan and that is it. Forward structure has been a problem this year.

The above is an incomplete list and I am sure many on this site could find further faults but the main point I am trying to get across is leadership or the lack thereof it is just one of the many problems at this club.

Offline Stripes

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #5 on: June 18, 2014, 09:49:37 AM »
We don't have any strong leadership. Can you imagine any of our current players confronting their team mates and telling them they are not pulling their weight. Everyone is too nice or introverted.

I have high hopes for players like Vlaustin. He has all the attributed to become a strong leader from watching him play and speaking to him. Unfortunately he is too young at the moment.

Cotch will grow into the role as he matures but its players like Jackson, Newman, Maric and Chaplin who should be our vocal leaders but they are all struggling to get on the part consistently this year.

Too much is being left to too few....again :help

tony_montana

« Reply #6 on: June 18, 2014, 01:19:26 PM »
We don't have any strong leadership. Can you imagine any of our current players confronting their team mates and telling them they are not pulling their weight. Everyone is too nice or introverted.

I have high hopes for players like Vlaustin. He has all the attributed to become a strong leader from watching him play and speaking to him. Unfortunately he is too young at the moment.

Cotch will grow into the role as he matures but its players like Jackson, Newman, Maric and Chaplin who should be our vocal leaders but they are all struggling to get on the part consistently this year.

Too much is being left to too few....again :help

They dont have a problem telling the young guys who "have to earn their stripes" but they never ever confront the clique

Offline yandb

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • For We're From Tigerland
« Reply #7 on: June 18, 2014, 01:58:57 PM »
I note that he placed no blame on the coaching group. :banghead

Offline tigs2011

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #8 on: June 18, 2014, 05:35:20 PM »
tl;dr