Author Topic: Permission to train list  (Read 15895 times)

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
Permission to train list
« on: November 07, 2011, 06:45:37 PM »
Seven clubs also applied to the AFL for permission for non-listed players to join training.

The Magpies have approval for Dick, Daniel Farmer and Trent Stubbs - all delisted a week ago - to train with the club.

Former Kangaroo Addam Maric is training with Richmond and former Hawk Beau Dowler is one of seven players given permission to join St Kilda training.

PERMISSION TO TRAIN LIST

Richmond - Pat Contin, David Fahey, Glen Grgic, Ben Jakobi, Addam Maric, Leigh Masters, William Wheeler.

Adelaide - James Craig, Will Young.

Collingwood - Daniel Farmer, Trent Stubbs, Brad Dick, Scott Reid.

Fremantle - Clancee Pearce.

North Melbourne - Gavin Urquhart.

St Kilda - Ben Casley, Beau Dowler, James Hallahan, Danny Hughes, Michael Lourey, James Magner, Marcus Marigliani.

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/afl/tigers-give-rookie-brad-miller-another-year/story-fn69a32t-1226187956396

Offline Eat_em_Alive

• RFC Hall of Fame
Re: Permission to train list
« Reply #1 on: November 07, 2011, 09:15:35 PM »
Hmmm havnt heard of some of those names....
Willy wheeler..
The anywhere, anytime Tigers.
E A T  E M  A L I V E  M O F O S

Offline yellowandback

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #2 on: November 07, 2011, 10:38:22 PM »
Hmmm havnt heard of some of those names....
Willy wheeler..

Good rhyming slang for Sheila
It's that simple Spud
"I discussed (it) with my three daughters, my wife and my 82-year-old mum, because it has really affected me … If those comments … were made about one of my daughters, it would make the hairs on the back of my neck stand up. I would not have liked it at all.”

Offline WA Tiger

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • For We're From Tigerland
« Reply #3 on: November 07, 2011, 10:41:25 PM »
So what is the story with these guys??

David Fahey, Glen Grgic, Leigh Masters, William Wheeler
DIMMA - You will be held ACCOUNTABLE...

“We are really excited about what we have brought in. We have got great depth of players that can take us where we need to go. We are just putting some cream on the top at the moment,” he said.

"Rucks:
Shaun Hampson is the No.1 man"

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #4 on: November 08, 2011, 01:55:50 AM »
So what is the story with these guys??

David Fahey, Glen Grgic, Leigh Masters, William Wheeler
All Coburg listed players.

19. Leigh Masters ........ 22-Jun-92     187cm  80kg   Bendigo Pioneers
Stats: 8 VFL senior games and 13 in the ressies

21. Glen Grgic ........ 19-Aug-92   176cm   80kg   Nth Heidelberg/Northern Knights
Stats: 4 VFL senior games

24. Willie Wheeler ...... 21-Jun-92     176cm  75kg   Seymour/Murray Bushrangers
Stats: 15 VFL senior games in 2011

28. David Fahey ....... 22-Dec-91   194cm   79kg   Aberfeldie/Calder Cannons
Stats: 4 VFL senior games and 16 in the ressies

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #5 on: November 08, 2011, 01:57:31 AM »
Here's a mid-year article on Wheeler....

Willie Wheeler bound for AFL

by: Sam Landsberger
    July 18, 2011

THE story of Willie Wheeler is fast approaching its defining chapter.

Will the Victorian Football League sensation from Avenel, near Seymour, be drafted?

Wheeler has all the attributes to play AFL footy. He's 19, explosive off the mark, tackles hard wins his own ball, and can kick goals.

He showcased his talents playing for the Murray Bushrangers last year, collecting 41 touches and laying seven tackles in a breakout match against Bendigo.

Wheeler went on to share the TAC Cup club's best-and-fairest with a kid called Shaun Atley. Atley was snared with a first-round pick by North Melbourne and is already a lock in Brad Scott's starting side.

Wheeler was overlooked. And again at the rookie draft, that time by all 18 clubs.

"My height," Wheeler said when asked why he thought he was overlooked. "Maybe my pace as well, I'm not really sure what it was.

"I always thought it would be hard with my height, but I never thought it should matter as much as it does."

Wheeler, who stands 176cm 13cm shorter than Atley is understandably irritated

"It gets frustrating when you see some other people get drafted that you think you could easily play on and hold your own against, but that's just the way it is," he said.

"I think if they say 'he's just too short' I don't believe it should matter as much as it does."

Wheeler is within 2cm of Collingwood's Jarryd Blair and Western Bulldog Luke Dahlhaus.

That pair was forced to fight for senior AFL listings via the rookie draft, which is why Wheeler landed at Coburg this season.

Last week, he signed a one-year extension at the Tigers, arriving at the club to sign his deal and undergo media commitments still looking grubby and tired after a long day of work and about to hit the track for a training session.

It summed up how hard the teenager works and, while the club was rapt to secure him, it knows Wheeler is no certainty to stay put next year.

Two AFL recruiters last week indicated he was likely to be snapped up.

On form it is a mystery his name was not called last year. Wheeler started on Collingwood's Ben Johnson in the Round 9 ABC clash.

Before the Magpie veteran limped off injured, commentators were already marveling at Wheeler's natural flair and nous at the stoppages.

Against Casey in Round 12 Wheeler enjoyed one of the best quarters seen this season. In his seventh game of senior football the nephew of former Western Bulldogs and Williamstown coach Terry Wheeler dragged his side across the line with 25 touches and three goals, including the last two of the match.

He was opposed to Melbourne-listed players Addam Maric and Lynden Dunn.

It seems when Wheeler plays well, so do the Tiges.

Wheeler said he is now trying to model his game on Steele Sidebottom, another country kid with close roots back home.

Coburg coach Adam Potter could not have been more glowing in his appraisal of Wheeler.

"He's the best I've seen come in from the TAC Cup and have an impact in the last six years I've been involved (at VFL level). He averages 25 possessions, wins clearances and tackles well," Potter said.

Wheeler is a regular at Potter's nearby Ascot Vale home for dinner and the coach played a key role in settling the second-year plumber into a city lifestyle.

But why Coburg over Williamstown, a club synonymous with the Wheeler name?

"At the start it was because Coburg were closest to the country because they were out at Craigieburn (in pre-season), and I had a few mates down here from Seymour that I knew," Wheeler said.

The Seagulls and Werribee both missed out on the excitement machine, who finally believes he can cut it at the top grade.

"When AFL players come back and you play on them and every now and then you hold your own and it does give you confidence," he said.

Wheeler said he resisted the temptation to stay home and take the easy option of playing country footy for a quick cash grab. He is determined to realise his dream.

"I still like to get back home and do some outdoor hunting and shooting or play other sports," he said. "(I hunt) foxes, or anything that annoys the farmer. It's good fun with all my mates.

"A lot of people do that (stay home and play country footy). It's a big step to come down. That's the reason for me coming down, to get looked at."

He cites his dad, Jeff, as his biggest influence on his football, and could not be held in higher regard at the Tigers.

Recently, Coburg captain Nick Carnell, who Wheeler rates as his best skipper yet, penned a new two-year deal at Coburg.

He said at the time it was partly because of coach Adam Potter's influence and partly because of how excited he was about the next brigade of emerging stars.

Carnell highlighted Wheeler as the most promising, speaking in awe of his work ethic and ability.

If Wheeler is not selected in this year's draft, he plans to spend one more year building his strength and consistent pace at the Tigers.

You get the feeling the story of Willie Wheeler is only just beginning.

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/afl/willie-wheeler-bound-for-afl/story-fn53khop-1226096860330

Offline Stripes

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #6 on: November 08, 2011, 01:28:14 PM »
That story certainly pumps him up. At 176cm you can understand the clubs reservations. I wonder if we will give him a go   :shh

Offline cub

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • "Tigertime!"
    • bantigertrade
« Reply #7 on: November 08, 2011, 01:36:36 PM »
Looked really good at times for Coburg 'Willie' That is. But fair dinkum with the smalls, oer and the forums will implode. It's why Nason didn't make he just got smashed to pieces.

Offline pmac21

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #8 on: November 08, 2011, 02:15:54 PM »
Wheeler Vs Nason = Chalk & Cheese.  Wheeler good, Nason not good. 

Offline Willy

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • All up inside ya.
« Reply #9 on: November 08, 2011, 09:03:47 PM »
Willie regularly impacted games for Coburg late in the season, i believe.
cant remember Nason having much impact at all, at any level.
Could be wrong here, tho.

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
« Reply #10 on: November 08, 2011, 10:21:04 PM »
Not sure why, apart from Wheeler, we would be looking at Coburg players who have hardly played senior VFL games and spent most of the time in the VFL ressies (effectively the 3rds). We did the same with Jakobi last year and it was no surprise he was delisted. The game between a bottom 4 VFL side and the AFL is massive enough, let alone between the VFL ressies and AFL level  :P. You would hope by draft day and the rookie draft we'll have a few blokes from the SANFL (best comp. outside the AFL) and WAFL on our radar.
All you touch and all you see is all your life will ever be - Pink Floyd

Offline WA Tiger

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • For We're From Tigerland
« Reply #11 on: November 09, 2011, 04:36:13 AM »
Thanks OE, well we must be interested in one of them....
DIMMA - You will be held ACCOUNTABLE...

“We are really excited about what we have brought in. We have got great depth of players that can take us where we need to go. We are just putting some cream on the top at the moment,” he said.

"Rucks:
Shaun Hampson is the No.1 man"

Online WilliamPowell

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Better to ignore a fool than encourage one
    • One Eyed Richmond
« Reply #12 on: November 09, 2011, 06:55:33 AM »
Thanks OE, well we must be interested in one of them....

Not necessarily ..RFC does this every year; that is have Coburg blokes train with the RFC during pre-season.

And outside Jake King & Jarrod Sylvestor we haven't drafted anyone that I can remember. Would think it has more to do with keeping the "alignment" strong  ;D
"Oh yes I am a dreamer, I still see us flying high!"

from the song "Don't Walk Away" by Pat Benatar 1988 (Wide Awake In Dreamland)

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #13 on: November 11, 2011, 02:18:13 AM »
We're getting ex-Pie John McCarthy down to train with us as well....

... with pickings at the national draft this year likely to be slim for Victorian clubs given Greater Western Sydney has 11 of the first 14 selections, Richmond is also keeping its options open in terms of experienced players.

The Tigers already have seven unlisted players doing pre-season work, including former Demon Addam Maric, and will invite another, former Magpie John McCarthy, to join them.

McCarthy has had several clubs interested, though North Melbourne, which some suggested could pick up the former Magpie, last night insisted it would be using its draft picks on youth and would only consider McCarthy as a rookie if he were still available.

http://www.theage.com.au/afl/afl-news/eyes-on-future-as-tigers-grab-youth-20111109-1n7fo.html#ixzz1dJeQDGSi

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
Axed Magpie John McCarthy to train with Tigers (Herald-Sun)
« Reply #14 on: November 11, 2011, 02:12:05 PM »
Axed Magpie John McCarthy to train with Tigers

by: Al Paton
    November 11, 2011 1:24PM

AXED Magpie John McCarthy will train with Richmond in the hope of resurrecting his AFL career.

The Tigers today applied for permission for McCarthy - cut by Collingwood after 18 games in four seasons - to train with the club.

Delisted Demon Addam Maric is also training with Richmond.

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/afl/axed-magpie-john-mccarthy-to-train-with-tigers/story-e6frf9jf-1226192589343