Author Topic: Brandon Ellis to Gold Coast / Richmond receive pick 39 as compo [merged]  (Read 301141 times)

Online pmac21

• RFC Hall of Fame
Re: Re: Brandon Ellis [merged]
« Reply #2055 on: September 23, 2019, 06:38:01 PM »
Funny if they dropped him. 

Offline torch

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • 28YrM&8YrMRC 🏆🏆🏆 ‘17, ‘19-‘20; 2 x Attendee 🐯
« Reply #2056 on: September 23, 2019, 06:58:54 PM »
Very strange to announce this Grand Final week!

Online WilliamPowell

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Better to ignore a fool than encourage one
    • One Eyed Richmond
« Reply #2057 on: September 23, 2019, 07:01:20 PM »
Very strange to announce this Grand Final week!

It hasn't been announced

A journo is saying it, not the player or his manager
"Oh yes I am a dreamer, I still see us flying high!"

from the song "Don't Walk Away" by Pat Benatar 1988 (Wide Awake In Dreamland)

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
Brandon Ellis to quit Tigers after the Grand Final to join Gold Coast [update]
« Reply #2058 on: September 24, 2019, 12:22:44 PM »
Ellis to quit Tigers after Grand Final

Sam Edmund,
Herald Sun
September 24, 2019

Brandon Ellis could leave Richmond as a dual premiership player, with the wingman agreeing to join Gold Coast.

Ellis, a restricted free agent at season’s end, had attracted interest from a handful of Melbourne-based clubs, but has settled on the Suns.

It’s understood the deal is for five years at about $600,000 a season — a contract thought to be just under the threshold that would deliver the Tigers a first-round compensation pick.

There is a slim chance Ellis could stay at Punt Road, given free agency rules allow Richmond to match any rival offer.

But, barring any unforeseen list changes, that is considered extremely unlikely as Ellis seeks greater financial security.

Ellis, 26, has played 175 games in eight years at Richmond, but Saturday’s Grand Final will almost certainly be his last after he met with Suns officials during the year.

Carlton had courted the gut-runner for much of the season before suddenly withdrawing its interest, while St Kilda and Essendon had also made inquiries.

Ellis remained coy on his future on Monday.

“As I said at the start of the year, I’m just going to put it on hold until after the season’s done and after hopefully being lucky enough to play in a Grand Final,” Ellis said.

“The club’s been awesome and they’ve supported me through everything that has sort of being thrown at me this year

“I will hopefully have something sorted in the next couple of weeks.”

https://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/afl/free-agent-brandon-ellis-to-walk-out-on-richmond-for-gold-coast-after-grand-final/news-story/e3f94f40f3e6bd646c49ff226491be33

Online Francois Jackson

• RFC Hall of Fame
Re: Brandon Ellis to quit Tigers after the Grand Final to join Gold Coast [update]
« Reply #2059 on: September 24, 2019, 12:35:09 PM »
under the threshold?

what a load of poo
Currently a member of the Roupies, and employed by the great man Roup.

Offline Diocletian

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Proud Gang of Four member #albomustgo
Re: Brandon Ellis to quit Tigers after the Grand Final to join Gold Coast [update]
« Reply #2060 on: September 24, 2019, 01:32:01 PM »
AFL will undercut us as usual - has it's media $hills underselling it.... :shh
"Much of the social history of the Western world, over the past three decades, has been a history of replacing what worked with what sounded good...."

- Thomas Sowell

FJ is the only one that makes sense.

Offline Andyy

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #2061 on: September 24, 2019, 01:57:18 PM »
$3milliom contract surely that's end of first round...

Dougeytherichmondfan

« Reply #2062 on: September 24, 2019, 02:38:25 PM »
Factor in his BnF performances and salary per year and it probably fits into the end of first round bracket.

Which, if we're all being honest, is probably fair if not good value for Ellis.

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #2063 on: September 24, 2019, 07:47:09 PM »
Ellis played a straight bat and refused to confirm or deny anything on the news tonight:

https://twitter.com/7NewsMelbourne/status/1176418496479023106

Offline Darth Tiger

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Dimmasty RFC!
« Reply #2064 on: September 25, 2019, 10:06:54 AM »
Factor in his BnF performances and salary per year and it probably fits into the end of first round bracket.

Agree, however the AFL administration does not judge objectively, they use objectives to judge.

No doubt that the compensation measures are applied with the equalisation strategy in mind.

Dougeytherichmondfan

« Reply #2065 on: September 25, 2019, 10:42:55 AM »

Agree, however the AFL administration does not judge objectively, they use objectives to judge.

No doubt that the compensation measures are applied with the equalisation strategy in mind.
110%. It is farcical how non-transparent the compensation formula is.

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #2066 on: September 25, 2019, 12:57:17 PM »
Grand Final star's awkward $3m contract situation

By Anna Harrington
wwos.NINE.com.au
25 September 2019

Amid speculation on his future at Punt Road, Richmond winger Brandon Ellis says he's hungrier than ever to win a second AFL premiership with the Tigers.

The winger, who is a free agent at season's end, has been heavily linked with a $3 million move to Gold Coast, but said he'd put thoughts of his future aside to focus on his football.

"The club has been fantastic - they've supported me throughout this whole process," Ellis told AAP.

"Obviously it's a pretty tricky one, free agency, for the club and for the player.

"So at the start of the year, I just told my manager, 'I just want to focus on footy, try and win another flag and then I'll sort out everything after that.'

"So I guess in a few weeks' time I'll know my future, but I love this footy club and I love the boys and I love Dimma (coach Damien Hardwick)."

Ellis was a member of Richmond's 2017 premiership team and two years on from his first taste of glory said he was "hungrier than ever" for another shot at the pinnacle.

"I said after we won the flag in 2017 'I don't care if we win another game for the rest of my career' - I was just so happy because my childhood dream's come true," Ellis said.

"But how good that felt, how amazing it was - we're just so hungry to achieve that again and to get that feeling again.

"There's just no better feeling in the world. So we're hungry and hungrier than ever, so I guess that's what's holding us in good stead."

A popular figure at Richmond, Ellis was in and out of the side last year and overlooked for round one this season, before fighting his way back into the team.

Amid a mid-season injury crisis, the 26-year-old stepped up to have one of his best seasons at Punt Road, and now has the chance to claim a second premiership medal.

"I'm loving it and just forever grateful to be part of this club and this side and it's probably been my favourite year to date," Ellis said.

"Just after all the controversy that happened with all the injuries and losing games and people just writing us off - it just makes you even more hungry to prove everyone wrong and we've sort of done that so far.

"But I really want to hold that cup up again on Saturday."

https://wwos.nine.com.au/afl/ellis-eyes-second-flag-amid-cloudy-future/3aaca349-6705-46f2-a613-dbf81aa4e92a

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
« Reply #2067 on: September 25, 2019, 01:44:24 PM »
Ellis is in our top 10 paid players under his current contract. Something very dodgy going on if we don't receive a late first rounder in return as compo after Ellis has been offered $3m over 5 years by Gold Coast (which surely will put him in the Suns' top 10 paid).
All you touch and all you see is all your life will ever be - Pink Floyd

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #2068 on: September 25, 2019, 05:13:06 PM »
“From the top to the bottom”: Tiger’s link to Gold Coast raises eyebrows

By SEN
25 September 2019

Garry Lyon is surprised that Richmond wingman Brandon Ellis is considering a move to wooden spooners Gold Coast.

Various reports have indicated Ellis will confirm his exit from Punt Road after Saturday’s Grand Final and join the Suns as a restricted free agent on a bumper five-year deal worth up to $3 million.

With Ellis set to participate in his second Grand Final in three years, Lyon thinks a switch to Gold Coast would be a sideways move.

“Hasn’t that one slipped under the guard? I know it’s been in the public, but let’s put this in perspective,” the Melbourne great told SEN Breakfast.

“Here is a young man about to potentially play in his second premiership for the mighty Richmond Football Club, who is going to leave them and go to Gold Coast.

“He’s going to the bottom feeder – he’s going from the top to the bottom. Come and see me at Round 13 next year when the Tigers are flying and he’s playing on a wing (at Gold Coast).

“I think it’s a sign of where things are going but it’s just almost fait accompli.”

Ellis, 26, is averaging 21.5 disposals per game and has missed just two games in a consistent campaign.

The off-contract Tiger will look to win his second premiership in the yellow and black against GWS this weekend.

https://www.sen.com.au/news/2019/09/25/from-the-top-to-the-bottom-tigers-link-to-gold-coast-raises-eyebrows/

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
Re: Brandon Ellis [merged]
« Reply #2069 on: September 29, 2019, 07:04:19 AM »
Brandon Ellis – 4

A few nerves early for the wingman but he eventually settled. Missed everything with a difficult set shot from the right forward pocket and finished with 11 disposals. Where will he play next year?

https://www.afl.com.au/news/2019-09-28/player-ratings-richmond

BRANDON ELLIS 6

Didn’t get plenty of it in what is likely to be his last game as a Tiger, but showed pace and proved reliable despite a couple of turnovers.

https://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/afl/teams/richmond/afl-grand-final-player-ratings-dustin-martin-and-bachar-houli-shine-toby-green-phil-davis-flop/news-story/3b13f40fe020027c0e71ae275f356ff2