Author Topic: Hardwick's next contract discussion [merged]  (Read 16233 times)

Offline Coach

• Hardly A Prude
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Depend on Schulzy
Re: Tigers must sew up Hardwick: Clarkson (AAP)
« Reply #60 on: February 28, 2012, 12:41:44 PM »
"These coaches getting average players to begin to fulfill  their potential including Jack, Vickery, Martin, Rance, Grimes, King, Nahas, Houli etc etc Why would we wish to throw this all out the window?"
If Dimma was gone then we would throw it out the window? Did Fremantle 'start again' by getting in one of the best coaches in the league? WTF is so special about Dimma's game plan or his staff? You're talking like not extending his contract would put us back to the bottom of the ladder for 3 years. If you offered me Mick Malthouse right now, I would take him. He's the best.

The difference between extending now and during the season is the fact we've got a group of guys who could play finals this year. If we're playing poorly then I would be pretty disappointed if Dimma got another two years. We're capable of doing something good this year. And no, I am not saying sack him if we don't play finals. I'm saying don't sign him for another two years unless the signs are bloody good. Hardwick has done a decent job. He's not Sir Alex Ferguson  :banghead

Offline Mr Magic

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #61 on: February 28, 2012, 01:12:14 PM »
Agree Davey. The shape of the list is more important than the coach.
Dimma's game plan hasn't thrilled me yet but to be fair he hasn't had the cattle.
Now he does and I want to see things really start to gel this season.

Offline Stripes

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #62 on: February 28, 2012, 02:04:48 PM »
"These coaches getting average players to begin to fulfill  their potential including Jack, Vickery, Martin, Rance, Grimes, King, Nahas, Houli etc etc Why would we wish to throw this all out the window?"
If Dimma was gone then we would throw it out the window? Did Fremantle 'start again' by getting in one of the best coaches in the league?

Yes, in a way they did. They are now trying to learn a completely new game plan and mind set. One of the best coaches in the league? - I would argue he is one of the most negative, dour coaches around who was gifted a good list. The Saints list may be aging now and the game left behind some of it's past 'stars' but in the period he had them he should have done much better.

WTF is so special about Dimma's game plan or his staff?

Dimma's game plan hasn't had an opportunity to really shine yet. Mainly because he hasn't had the personale to do it but this year we should start to see if show. The direct, long, clean and quick movement will cause headaches to most teams now we have more and more better ball users in the side.

What's so special about his staff? Well it's Dimma and his team of coaches/staff who have got the list to where it is. We finally have players in our team that are stepping up. When was the last time we had so many young players beginning to realise their potential rather than us just hoping they will? You have to give credit where credit is due here.

You're talking like not extending his contract would put us back to the bottom of the ladder for 3 years. If you offered me Mick Malthouse right now, I would take him. He's the best.

When did I say we would be on the bottom of the ladder for the next three years. What I said was that we would have to go through a reeducation process again. This could turn out to be good but it could equally undo the confidence of many of our young players. Why risk that when the signs are clear that we are finally on the right track?

The difference between extending now and during the season is the fact we've got a group of guys who could play finals this year. If we're playing poorly then I would be pretty disappointed if Dimma got another two years. We're capable of doing something good this year. And no, I am not saying sack him if we don't play finals. I'm saying don't sign him for another two years unless the signs are bloody good. Hardwick has done a decent job. He's not Sir Alex Ferguson  :banghead

So what constitutes 'the signs are bloody good'?.

We may just miss out on the finals this year due to our draw/injuries/circumstances. The year after Bomber took Geelong to their first GF his side had a poor year and he was almost sacked. What a missed opportunity for the Cats that would have been! The signs are clear, Dimma is the right man for the job and has done everything asked of his by the club.

He should be resigned before the media speculation begins and this can cause any hint of disruption to the club. If it is enviable, as it appears to be, just draw up the contract now!

The health of the list has everything to do with how Dimma has developed the players. The biggest difference between ourselves and other teams such as Collingwood was always their ability to get the best out of their players. TW was a heralded tactician and motivator that was innovative on gameday but failed miserably at Richmond. With an established list of developed players, he was able to get within a kick of the Grandfinal with the dogs and play regular finals football. Yet trying to begin again with a new recruits, even high draft picks, he not only fell away but so did most of these players. Why - because he rarely spent any time with them, Postie said he hadn't every really spoken to him, and certainly didn't develop them in any way or hire coaches to teach them either. Some of this has to do with the money at his disposal but a lot had to do with the way he coached too.

When was the last time we had such a stable club from the CEO down? When we've had a coach and board marching to the same beat, following the same plan?

Offline WA Tiger

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • For We're From Tigerland
« Reply #63 on: February 28, 2012, 02:24:31 PM »
Hardwick has put the best model in place for many years, must give him the chance, I would give him the two years so he can concentrate on coaching.

Unless of course we don't make finals .... NO EXCUSES  :rollin

Will still back Hardwick in......the players will have a bit of the NO EXCUSES to answer to though.. ;D
DIMMA - You will be held ACCOUNTABLE...

“We are really excited about what we have brought in. We have got great depth of players that can take us where we need to go. We are just putting some cream on the top at the moment,” he said.

"Rucks:
Shaun Hampson is the No.1 man"

Offline blaisee

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • For We're From Tigerland
« Reply #64 on: February 28, 2012, 02:29:26 PM »
IMHO

no reason to sign him up early,

Must make finals or he should be shown the door

Especially with mick malthouse ready willing and able

Just my opinion ;) ;) ;) ;) ;) ;) ;) ;) ;)

Offline Stripes

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #65 on: February 28, 2012, 02:29:44 PM »
Agree Davey. The shape of the list is more important than the coach.
Dimma's game plan hasn't thrilled me yet but to be fair he hasn't had the cattle.
Now he does and I want to see things really start to gel this season.

I would suggest that the state of the list, to a large degree, has a lot to do with the coach - they are not mutually exclusive.

I agree with what you say about the gameplan though - this year will start to give us a better picture.

Offline Stripes

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #66 on: February 28, 2012, 02:30:52 PM »
IMHO

no reason to sign him up early,

Must make finals or he should be shown the door

Especially with mick malthouse ready willing and able

Just my opinion ;) ;) ;) ;) ;) ;) ;) ;) ;)

Hasn't that been the masterplan set up my Mick and the club all along..... :thumbsup

Offline Coach

• Hardly A Prude
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Depend on Schulzy
« Reply #67 on: February 28, 2012, 02:58:34 PM »
Do you have to write a stuffing essay with every reply? will have a crack at replying later tonight. don't have the time or finger stamina at the minute ;D

Offline Stripes

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #68 on: February 28, 2012, 03:02:34 PM »
Do you have to write a stuffing essay with every reply? will have a crack at replying later tonight. don't have the time or finger stamina at the minute ;D

Just replying to your comments. I just try and do it with rational opinions and facts if I can. That's all  ;)

Offline Coach

• Hardly A Prude
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Depend on Schulzy
« Reply #69 on: February 28, 2012, 03:08:56 PM »
That's what everyone here does. We can just sum up our thoughts without writing 2000 word posts.

Offline Stripes

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #70 on: February 28, 2012, 03:17:50 PM »
That's what everyone here does. We can just sum up our thoughts without writing 2000 word posts.

I'm sorry if I can string a few words together but let's try and not get personal hey mate. Try and stick to the argument if that's OK.  :cheers

Offline Coach

• Hardly A Prude
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Depend on Schulzy
« Reply #71 on: February 28, 2012, 03:27:24 PM »
You just got personal, guy.

Offline Stripes

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #72 on: February 28, 2012, 03:34:42 PM »
You just got personal, guy.

Sorry. Now lets get back to the thread topic.  :)

Jackstar is back again

« Reply #73 on: February 28, 2012, 07:39:45 PM »
give him a 5 year extension. ::)

Offline Stripes

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #74 on: February 28, 2012, 07:45:48 PM »
give him a 5 year extension. ::)

Probably a little too much but I like your thinking Jack  :thumbsup