Author Topic: Jay Schultz you IDIOT  (Read 9446 times)

Offline Roar

• Jack Dyer medallist
  • Tigers to thrive in 2005
    • www.yellowandbBlack.info/ - Where true Tigers Roar
Jay Schultz you IDIOT
« on: March 31, 2005, 01:19:46 PM »
News has just broken that Jay Schultz was last night done on a drink driving charge this has huge ramifications for the club as Major sponsor TAC had inserted a disqualification clause.

This clause states that should any player/official of the club be found guilty of drink driving they had the option of pulling their sponsorship of the club.

Previosly Royce vardy had been done for drink driving and cost the club a $50,000 penalty and nearly cost us the TAC sponsorship but the rift was mended and TAC continued their sponsorship but with the above clause inserted.

TAC are now likely to withdraw their sponsorship which will be a total disaster and leave the club in the lurch and looking for another major sponsor which is not likely to happen this season.

This news is devastating for both Richmond and it's supporters :banghead
GO TIGES !!!                   Roar

Offline Piping Shrike

• Premiership Captain
  • Nothing today
Re: Jay Schultz you IDIOT
« Reply #1 on: March 31, 2005, 03:10:36 PM »
I'm a supporter and I'm disappointed but not devastated. If guilty then I think Jay was stupid and should be punished through the courts. If TAC wants to pull out then that's disappointing, especially in the short term. In the longer term I would prefer to avoid having a major sponsor that a) major sponsors other clubs (and shows more interest in them) and b) magnifies such events.

Also, as a payer of third party insurance (albeit in SA at present) I also resent the TAC tossing money at football teams, even when its the one I barrack for.

Offline WilliamPowell

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Better to ignore a fool than encourage one
    • One Eyed Richmond
« Reply #2 on: March 31, 2005, 03:28:54 PM »
If TAC wants to pull out then that's disappointing, especially in the short term. In the longer term I would prefer to avoid having a major sponsor that a) major sponsors other clubs (and shows more interest in them) and b) magnifies such events.

In a market where 10 clubs are competing for the same sponsorship $$$ we need sponsors like the TAC.

Also, I think you'll find that going into 2005 and before this "incident" the Club's relationship with the TAC was the strongest it's been in yonks and that they were showing a lot of interest in us over the other mob.

I am very angry at the moment and will get angrier if we lose the TAC over this. We were warned after the Royce Vardy incident - a contract was signed, everyone was made aware of the consequences of being in breach of the clause in the contract. But again it's case of a footballer not thinking. >:(

For crying out loud it aint that hard  :banghead :banghead :banghead
"Oh yes I am a dreamer, I still see us flying high!"

from the song "Don't Walk Away" by Pat Benatar 1988 (Wide Awake In Dreamland)

Offline Tiger Spirit

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • For We're From Tigerland
« Reply #3 on: March 31, 2005, 03:30:01 PM »
Wish I could be as calm about it as you PS.

No use making rash statements full of emotion, but it’s hugely disappointing.  There’s an understatement.  How many clues do players need?

french connection united kingdom.

:banghead :banghead :banghead :banghead :banghead :banghead :banghead :banghead :banghead
Everything that is done in this world is done by hope.  --Martin Luther

The time you enjoy wasting isn’t wasted time.

Offline WilliamPowell

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One Eyed Richmond
« Reply #4 on: March 31, 2005, 03:33:44 PM »
Can I just add..

There is ways to lose sponsors and there are ways to lose sponsors.

If the TAC turned around said we want out -simply because they want out. then you say "fair enough thanks for the 16 years it's been great"

If you lose them because of this sort of thing then it is embarassing and shameful.

It could also make it difficult to get a new sponsor

Offline om21

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Original Melbourne 21
    • Original Melbourne 21
« Reply #5 on: March 31, 2005, 03:50:50 PM »
Im biting my toungue for the time being.
Den uparxei Ellada xwris AEK.

Finally our new webage: http://www.original21.com/melbourne

Offline Roar

• Jack Dyer medallist
« Reply #6 on: March 31, 2005, 03:54:59 PM »
Can I just add..

There is ways to lose sponsors and there are ways to lose sponsors.

If the TAC turned around said we want out -simply because they want out. then you say "fair enough thanks for the 16 years it's been great"

If you lose them because of this sort of thing then it is embarassing and shameful.

It could also make it difficult to get a new sponsor

I'm extremely angry about this specially as it is a 2nd offence there are no excuses for the player or the club,  if TAC pulls their sponsorship there is virtually no chance of us gaining another major sponsor this season and that affects the bottom line.

We have budgeted to grab back most of our losses from previous years and this will be just a kick in the guts. There are those that say lets wait and see what happens but I see iot as a clear demarkation does the club support it's sponsor and deal with Jay in the most serious way possible or do they support Jay to the exclusion of the TAC.

I'm sure the players assossiation will want a say in this as well so Richmond may find themselves in a lose/lose situation. For god sake when will Richmond get their act together.
« Last Edit: March 31, 2005, 04:22:59 PM by WilliamPowell »

Offline Piping Shrike

• Premiership Captain
  • Nothing today
« Reply #7 on: March 31, 2005, 04:20:06 PM »
Wish I could be as calm about it as you PS.

No use making rash statements full of emotion, but it’s hugely disappointing.  There’s an understatement.  How many clues do players need?

french connection united kingdom.

:banghead :banghead :banghead :banghead :banghead :banghead :banghead :banghead :banghead

Always calm on a Thursday TS. Usually a different story on a Sunday evening. As to your question - players probably need many, many clues. But mostly they're too stupid to process even one. (Says I mispelling they're in my 1st go).
« Last Edit: March 31, 2005, 04:22:07 PM by Piping Shrike »

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
« Reply #8 on: March 31, 2005, 04:26:30 PM »
 :banghead @ stupidity (and just in time for the lead story on footy show tonight :banghead).

41 car immobilisers coming right up for dumb footballers ::).
All you touch and all you see is all your life will ever be - Pink Floyd

Offline WilliamPowell

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One Eyed Richmond
Re: Jay Schultz you IDIOT - speeding too
« Reply #9 on: March 31, 2005, 04:44:40 PM »
Just when you thought it couldn't get any worse...

====
Schulz charged with drink-driving

March 31, 2005 - 4:24PM

Richmond key position player Jay Schulz was charged with drink-driving and speeding, which could again place the AFL club's major sponsorship deal with the Transport Accident Commission in jeopardy.

The incident occurred at 1am (AEST) on Thursday in inner suburban Prahran.

The 19-year was fined and will lose his licence for six months.

Schulz was also fined $5,000 by the Tigers.

A similar incident a couple of years ago involving former Tigers defender Royce Vardy nearly led to the ending of the TAC's major sponsorship deal.

"It goes without saying that the club is bitterly disappointed with Jay's actions," Richmond said in a statement.

"While Jay is only 19, he is in his third season with Richmond and throughout that period he has been educated numerous times on his social responsibilities, including road safety and drink-driving.

" ... Jay has not only let down the Richmond Football Club, its members and supporters, but also a long-term partner of the Club, the community as a whole, and himself."

© 2005 AAP

http://foxsports.news.com.au/story/0,8659,12712170-23211,00.html

« Last Edit: March 31, 2005, 04:46:20 PM by WilliamPowell »

Offline om21

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Original Melbourne 21
    • Original Melbourne 21
« Reply #10 on: March 31, 2005, 04:45:42 PM »
Everyone is talking about the ramificiations that this will have on the club's sponsorship deal. What does this mean for Jay? Now me personally, when Vardy committed the offence I was happy to offload him to make an example. Jay is a future key-position player and leader......does that change things?

This is a very tricky situation. On top of that, the guy is meant to be in rehab and he is drinking? Where is the baseball bat?
Den uparxei Ellada xwris AEK.

Finally our new webage: http://www.original21.com/melbourne

Offline Rodgerramjet

• OER - CONTRIBUTOR
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Never cast pearls before swine.
« Reply #11 on: March 31, 2005, 05:24:45 PM »
Let's see if Mcguire milks this story for all it's worth, It would be right up his alley to do so.
The lips of Wisdom are closed, except to the ears of Understanding.

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
« Reply #12 on: March 31, 2005, 05:32:28 PM »
Everyone is talking about the ramificiations that this will have on the club's sponsorship deal. What does this mean for Jay? Now me personally, when Vardy committed the offence I was happy to offload him to make an example. Jay is a future key-position player and leader......does that change things?

This is a very tricky situation. On top of that, the guy is meant to be in rehab and he is drinking? Where is the baseball bat?

Vardy was also fined $5,000 and suspended for around a month. Cost the club $50,000 to the TAC as well. Might find a similar punishment for Jay as the AFLPA wouldn't be happy about young players being sacked over non-footy issues.

As for the RFC: If TAC stay on board it could cost a fair bit of $$$ which we don't exactly have.

---------------------

Vardy awaits fate
9:12:18 AM Thu 24 January, 2002
Sportal

Richmond youngster Royce Vardy is expected to know tomorrow if he faces any further penalty after being charged with drink driving last month.

Vardy was suspended from pre-season training until the end of January when the club heard about the offence, which has placed Richmond’s TAC sponsorship of 10 years in jeopardy.

The Tigers board is set to meet tomorrow night at 7pm AEDT to decide if he should be punished further, with chief executive Mark Brayshaw saying the club will announce its findings on Friday morning.

A TAC spokeswoman said the commission was still reviewing its sponsorship deal with Richmond, believed to be worth about $750,000 a season.

http://richmondfc.com.au/default.asp?pg=news&spg=display&articleid=14562

Vardy still a Tiger
9:12:24 AM Mon 28 January, 2002
Sportal

Richmond's Royce Vardy has escaped the axe from the club but has been fined $5000 following his drink-driving charge.

Vardy was charged by police after recording a blood alcohol reading of 0.14 in late December.

The incident had put the Tigers' lucrative sponsorship with the Transport Accident Commission (TAC) in serious jeopardy and and prompted speculation the club may sack Vardy.

The TAC's contract with Richmond required players and officials to adhere to its drink-driving policy.

The Commission said it was considering the matter and would let Richmond know next week whether it would continue to sponsor the club.

Vardy will also miss the pre-season competition and carry out community service.

"Royce has had an extremely difficult month being apart from the team and with this decision pending," chief executive Mark Brayshaw said.

"The Club is satisfied that he fully understands and regrets the enormity of the mistake he made and we feel the severity of the punishment is appropriate."

"I wish to sincerely apologise for my totally irresponsible behavior/action on December 29, which led to my drink-driving charge," Vardy said.

"It's been very difficult to live with the humiliation and shame that I have let down so many people -- the Richmond Football Club, my teammates, friends, family, the TAC and myself.

"I am extremely grateful to the Club for giving me another chance and fully accept my punishment. The positive to come out of this for me has been the fact that, thank God, nobody was injured and I have learned one of life's most valuable lessons.

"I hope that I can now repay the Club for allowing me to continue playing, and I'll be doing everything I can to uphold the values of the Club."

http://richmondfc.com.au/default.asp?pg=news&spg=display&articleid=14647

Tigers keep TAC - at a cost
12:12:57 PM Thu 7 February, 2002

Richmond has kept its lucrative sponsorship with the Transport Accident Commission but at a high cost.

The AFL club has been forced to pay $50,000 to the TAC to keep the deal intact as punishment for one of its players – Royce Vardy – breaching the TAC’s “Drink/Drive – Bloody Idiot” message.

Vardy was caught over the legal limit of .05 back in December and almost lost his place on the senior list as the Tigers contemplated the difficult task of having to find a new major sponsor on the eve of the 2002 AFL season.

However just as the Tigers gave Vardy another chance, the TAC has also given Richmond another chance but the club has been warned that if another employee is caught drink/driving then the sponsorship deal will be terminated.

The Tigers have also had to pay $50,000, which the TAC will give to the support groups for victims of road accidents, while the club will also have to introduce a new program to show its commitment to the anti drink/driving policy as well as being involved in additional promotions to reinforce the TAC’s “Drink/Drive – Bloody Idiot” message.

Richmond chief executive Mark Brayshaw said the club agreed to the strict conditions imposed by the TAC, recognising the seriousness of Vardy’s offence.

“As a club, we ultimately accept responsibility for the actions of our players and officials,” Brayshaw said. “For the past 13 years, we have worked well with the TAC and actively promoted the Drink, Drive, Bloody Idiot message.”

“So we are obviously committed to doing everything within our power to ensure this type of incident will not occur again.”

TAC chief executive Stephen Grant said it was “very disappointing to learn one of (Richmond’s) representatives had undermined what this partnership has been striving to achieve.”

“We can only be grateful that the incident has just led to a loss of license, not a loss of life,” he said.

“Our focus is now to work with the club to learn from this incident and look at new opportunities to show the community the importance of heeding the anti drink-driving message.”

http://richmondfc.com.au/default.asp?pg=news&spg=display&articleid=16925

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
Club wanted to fine Jay more than the allowed max of $5000
« Reply #13 on: March 31, 2005, 05:42:09 PM »
Tigers fine Schulz $5000
4:31:01 PM Thu 31 March, 2005
Sportal for afl.com.au

Richmond has fined Jay Schulz $5000 after the emerging key defender was charged with drink-driving and speeding offences in the early hours of Monday morning.

Schulz has had his license cancelled.

The Tigers released a statement on Thursday afternoon, branding the fine amount as "insufficient" but that it was the maximum amount allowed under the AFL Player Coxdde of Conduct.

Saying it would have fined Schulz a larger amount if it could have, the club has ordered Schulz to undertake extensive work with road trauma victims.

"Jay has not only let down the Richmond Football Club, its members and supporters, but also a long-term partner of the Club, the community as a whole, and himself," the club said in a statement.

The incident is particularly embarrassing for the Tigers, who are sponsored by the Transport Accident Commission, whose key messages are "Drink, Drive Bloody Idiot” and “Wipe off 5”.

And it comes less than two years after another Richmond player, Royce Vardy, was involved in a drink-driving incident in northern Victoria.

http://afl.com.au/default.asp?pg=news&spg=display&articleid=193140

Offline Roar

• Jack Dyer medallist
« Reply #14 on: March 31, 2005, 05:43:49 PM »
The club has decided it is innapropriate to suspend Schultz as he is on the long term injury list but instead have left it to his peers the playing group to take further action against him, it will be interesting what they come up with.