Author Topic: FEVOLA / Tigers take a nibble at Fevola  (Read 26430 times)

Offline cub

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • "Tigertime!"
    • bantigertrade
Re: Tigers take a nibble at Fevola
« Reply #105 on: October 04, 2005, 01:23:50 AM »
Pick 24 and Hall ?

letsgetiton!

« Reply #106 on: October 04, 2005, 06:21:45 AM »
"We're confident we've got the right people at the club to get the best out of any players," Miller said.

That's one BIG statement!

Hopefully for all our blokes that is now true because it hasn't been so for a couple of decades at Punt Road.

u must admit its ben a long time since we had this quality of coaches and ppl at tigerland

Offline Tiger Spirit

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • For We're From Tigerland
« Reply #107 on: October 04, 2005, 12:47:31 PM »
"We're confident we've got the right people at the club to get the best out of any players," Miller said.

Hopefully for all our blokes that is now true because it hasn't been so for a couple of decades at Punt Road.

u must admit its ben a long time since we had this quality of coaches and ppl at tigerland

I thought it was a sizeable statement by GM to make.  Especially considering that Fevola has already had quality coaches in David Parkin and Denis Pagan and they couldn’t get him to play consistent football.

It’s one thing to have confidence in people, another to pay to bring in extra challenges for them, as if there aren’t enough to contend with.

If nothing else, the Swans proved that what you need most of all to win a Premiership is players that are prepared to do the team things.  Players with a ‘me, me’ individual attitude are the biggest hindrance in any team environment and the Swans went out of their way to weed out those types from their Club.

Yet here we are potentially looking to bring one into ours.  I don’t see how bringing that type of personality into the Club could be considered a benefit, unless they come accompanied with a major reality check and do some fast growing up.  Otherwise, they just make life harder for everyone else than it needs to be.

I’ll be a whole lot happier when he either stays where he is or goes somewhere other than Richmond to ply his trade.
« Last Edit: October 04, 2005, 12:57:33 PM by Tiger Spirit »
Everything that is done in this world is done by hope.  --Martin Luther

The time you enjoy wasting isn’t wasted time.

Offline WilliamPowell

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Better to ignore a fool than encourage one
    • One Eyed Richmond
« Reply #108 on: October 04, 2005, 01:19:01 PM »
I am just about resigned to the fact that Fevola is going to end up at Richmond.  :banghead :'( :banghead

Cannot say I am happy about it but if that's how is then that's how it is :-\

If we can snare him for 2 players and 2nd round pick - then I'd live with it but ..... the idea of giving up our first round pick just doesn't sit well with me at all. I just don't think you can give picks in the top 10 - IMHO end of story
"Oh yes I am a dreamer, I still see us flying high!"

from the song "Don't Walk Away" by Pat Benatar 1988 (Wide Awake In Dreamland)

Offline the_boy_jake

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #109 on: October 04, 2005, 01:28:13 PM »
I agree re. 2 players and a second rounder being the most we should offer.

I am with you - opposed to giving up pick 8. I just can't see Pagan settling for two more recycled players, given that Carlton fans must be fairly disenchanted about taking on Scotland, French, Teague and the like when they have very few good kids on their books.

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
« Reply #110 on: October 04, 2005, 04:00:18 PM »
Carlton are still puffing up their chest saying Fevola won't be traded unless they get a fantastic offer. I wonder if they'll still be bluffing come Friday at 1.50pm.

Agree with offering no more than a second pick + player(s).

All you touch and all you see is all your life will ever be - Pink Floyd

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
« Reply #111 on: October 04, 2005, 04:56:35 PM »

I thought it was a sizeable statement by GM to make.  Especially considering that Fevola has already had quality coaches in David Parkin and Denis Pagan and they couldn’t get him to play consistent football.

It’s one thing to have confidence in people, another to pay to bring in extra challenges for them, as if there aren’t enough to contend with.

If nothing else, the Swans proved that what you need most of all to win a Premiership is players that are prepared to do the team things.  Players with a ‘me, me’ individual attitude are the biggest hindrance in any team environment and the Swans went out of their way to weed out those types from their Club.

Yet here we are potentially looking to bring one into ours.  I don’t see how bringing that type of personality into the Club could be considered a benefit, unless they come accompanied with a major reality check and do some fast growing up.  Otherwise, they just make life harder for everyone else than it needs to be.

I’ll be a whole lot happier when he either stays where he is or goes somewhere other than Richmond to ply his trade.

I'm pretty apathetic towards Fev. If we get him (cheaply) fine; if we don't fine. In saying that the Swans were able to turn Lockett and Barry Hall around in terms of their attitude they had at St Kilda. Granted being in a non-AFL dominant state obviously helped there.

Fevola's getting married this Friday at 2pm. Great timing btw Fev lol. Whether he comes to Tigerland or not he's going to need to mature and settle down pretty quickly. His life let alone his footy won't just be about him.

Offline Tiger Spirit

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #112 on: October 04, 2005, 06:19:05 PM »
There are too many question marks about Fevola to give up a lot for him.  At least Lockett and Hall had that fire in the belly to play the game at the highest level and with the right influence, that type can be good value once they settle down.

In my view, Fevola lacks any sort of intensity and it’s debatable whether he will ever be focused and motivated enough to reach the required level of intensity to play consistent, hard football, even if he does settle down.

Till now, he’s had good influences around him and still been erratic.  Under Pagan, he looked to have turned the corner and then just went backwards this year.  How many more clues do we need?

Offline Razorblade

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #113 on: October 04, 2005, 06:29:06 PM »
Well playing at Carlton for the past few years can hardly have been the happiest, most positive thing for anyone to experience.

Saying that though, a lot of what has been said about him in this thread is true.

Offline Razorblade

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #114 on: October 05, 2005, 01:24:22 AM »
Brisbane chases hard for Motlop
Greg Denham
October 05, 2005

Richmond has offered Carlton the eighth selection in the draft for Fevola, but the Tigers have requested that the Blues subsidise them with up to one-third of his pay - which is about $450,000 annually - for the duration of his three-year deal.

http://www.theaustralian.news.com.au/common/story_page/0,5744,16817618%255E36035,00.html

Breathe William, breathe!  ;)

If this is true, can't say im jumping for joy with giving up our 8th pick for him, but i guess i was always expecting this to happen!

The fact that we'll only be paying him about 300k per year (if this all goes down) is a bonus.

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #115 on: October 05, 2005, 02:55:05 AM »
Tigers hunt Fevola
05 October 2005   
Herald Sun

RICHMOND last night remained in the hunt for Carlton forward Brendan Fevola, but it is uncertain whether a suitable deal can be done between the two clubs.

The Tigers have expressed strong interest in Fevola, with coach Terry Wallace and football director Greg Miller leading the charge.

"We remain keen to explore the options with Carlton," Miller said last night.

http://www.heraldsun.news.com.au/footy/common/story_page/0,8033,16819229%255E19742,00.html

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
« Reply #116 on: October 05, 2005, 04:08:59 AM »
Richmond has offered Carlton the eighth selection in the draft for Fevola, but the Tigers have requested that the Blues subsidise them with up to one-third of his pay - which is about $450,000 annually - for the duration of his three-year deal.

Hold your nerve to 1pm Friday Tigers :banghead

letsgetiton!

« Reply #117 on: October 05, 2005, 07:59:12 AM »
Greg Denham
October 05, 2005

im happy to give pick 8, the mail i heard was pick 8 and hartigan. pick 8 is no guarantee in this crop to be anything special anyway, and if they  pay part his salary i see that as a win 4 us. and about harts, if he is traded we will miss his endeavor and dash, but not his bad kicking and lazy training!

Offline tigertough12

• Future Richmond star
« Reply #118 on: October 05, 2005, 08:31:05 AM »
Greg Denham
October 05, 2005

im happy to give pick 8, the mail i heard was pick 8 and hartigan. pick 8 is no guarantee in this crop to be anything special anyway, and if they  pay part his salary i see that as a win 4 us. and about harts, if he is traded we will miss his endeavor and dash, but not his bad kicking and lazy training!

I heard a 5 way deal, we give up pick 8, 24 and Hartigan and gain Fevola and their pick 52
Hartigan goes to the Kangas
Motlop to Melbourne
McDougall to Carlton
Trade Picks exchanged here and there

Offline Tiger Spirit

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #119 on: October 05, 2005, 10:47:51 AM »
We cannot be serious about giving up pick 8 for him.  He ain’t worth that.

If he comes to Richmond I’ll learn to live with it, but not at the expense of pick 8. :banghead :banghead :banghead Especially after this comment:

Tigers ready for top talent quest
14 November 2004   
Sunday Herald Sun

RICHMOND coach Terry Wallace has pledged the Tigers will not give away one first-round draft selection in his five-year reign.

"One of the aims of stepping in was to change that -- and to change it not just over a one-year period, (so) over my period we will not give away first-round draft selections. We will be picking our own, developing our own champions of the future."

http://oneeyed-richmond.com/forum//index.php?PHPSESSID=51c0f223b101a195b7c51b4182fcd4ea&topic=1060.0