Author Topic: Shane Tuck - 2012 expectations?  (Read 3291 times)

Offline Owl

• Magnificent Bastard
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Bring me TWO chickens
Re: Shane Tuck - 2012 expectations?
« Reply #15 on: March 03, 2012, 09:02:06 PM »
will continue to be an absolute clearance machine :shh
And turnover king :shh

what ratio of clearances to turnovers is acceptable?

We can only go on the rankings, he is a clearance machine which is at least equal to 'clearance queen' if not 'king', and he is apparently also a 'turnover king', so we can assume that by these rankings that he has completely neutralised himself and is effectively a tent peg, IF they are accurate assessments, because if we are to trust them, they would suggest he is in effect clearing the ball directly to the opposition which is not actually a clearance so bugger me with a gaff hook if that makes any sense.
Lots of people name their swords......

gerkin greg

« Reply #16 on: March 03, 2012, 09:03:51 PM »

3:1 off the top of my head

Could live with 9 clearances and 3 turnovers I reckon

What about you?

Offline Eat_em_Alive

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #17 on: March 03, 2012, 09:57:32 PM »
100% pure heart and spirit... Besides the turnovers he should have come before others that were gifted games last year. Has made a positive difference to the side since coming back in imo
The anywhere, anytime Tigers.
E A T  E M  A L I V E  M O F O S

Offline Coach

• Hardly A Prude
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Depend on Schulzy
« Reply #18 on: March 03, 2012, 10:32:08 PM »
wonder if some of you knob jockeys watch the games. agree with Eea

edwards turnovers are acceptable because he's a stuffing wizard setting up miracle plays from half back while the Tuckfest is a dud because he bombs a few forward without looking sometimes. k :lol

Offline Penelope

• Internet nuffer and sooky jellyfish
  • RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #19 on: March 04, 2012, 12:04:27 AM »
Quote from: Tiger-from-Tas tlink=topic=14977.msg283426#msg283426 date=1330752157

3:1 off the top of my head

Could live with 9 clearances and 3 turnovers I reckon

What about you?
Yeah, I reckon I could.
“For My thoughts are not your thoughts,
Nor are your ways my ways,” says the Lord.

“For as the heavens are higher than the earth,
So are my ways higher than your ways,
And my thoughts than your thoughts."

Yahweh? or the great Clawski?

yaw rehto eht dellorcs ti fi daer ot reisae eb dluow tI

dwaino

« Reply #20 on: March 04, 2012, 12:11:48 AM »
Efficiency may be debatable, but can't deny he knows how to win the footy. The second half against the Dawks in Nob 1 for example. I don't care that it didn't always go to someone, was just great to see the ball flying in our direction from a stoppage or contested situation. Sure beats the footy flying off in the opposite direction. It gives our rockets like mini-Maric a chance to run on to the footy and generate an offensive play.

Offline cub

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • "Tigertime!"
    • bantigertrade
« Reply #21 on: March 04, 2012, 01:41:29 AM »
We were screaming for him in the team last year and proved his worth as soon as he got back!
Really stood out at training the other day for the pushup show (Serious session btw) just love the way he goes about it Tucky, my type of footballer. :thumbsup
Keep doing what he does will hold his place no worries .........

Offline Smokey

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #22 on: March 04, 2012, 07:34:31 AM »

We can only go on the rankings, he is a clearance machine which is at least equal to 'clearance queen' if not 'king', and he is apparently also a 'turnover king', so we can assume that by these rankings that he has completely neutralised himself and is effectively a tent peg, IF they are accurate assessments, because if we are to trust them, they would suggest he is in effect clearing the ball directly to the opposition which is not actually a clearance so bugger me with a gaff hook if that makes any sense.

:lol

Offline yellowandback

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #23 on: March 04, 2012, 07:42:08 AM »
Efficiency may be debatable, but can't deny he knows how to win the footy. The second half against the Dawks in Nob 1 for example. I don't care that it didn't always go to someone, was just great to see the ball flying in our direction from a stoppage or contested situation. Sure beats the footy flying off in the opposite direction. It gives our rockets like mini-Maric a chance to run on to the footy and generate an offensive play.

That isn't going to win us a flag and I'd doubt if we would even win a final.
While I love the fact Tucky gives us 1st hands and that I'd half the battle it also exposes us to the "goals from turn overs" stat which has plagued us since the Wallace days.

He needs to fix the get it and bomb approach to stay relevant. Surely he knows that?
It's that simple Spud
"I discussed (it) with my three daughters, my wife and my 82-year-old mum, because it has really affected me … If those comments … were made about one of my daughters, it would make the hairs on the back of my neck stand up. I would not have liked it at all.”

Offline Penelope

• Internet nuffer and sooky jellyfish
  • RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #24 on: March 04, 2012, 10:51:26 AM »
Tucks "bomb" approach is overplayed.

He does at times do it when he shouldn't, but many times he doesn't have the time. Under Hardwick he has improved in this area.

He repeatedly gets the hard ball, more than moste, so that means he will have many occasions where the quick bomb is the only thing possible, unless you want to get caught with the ball.

Geelongs last premiership captain was a master of the quick bomb forward, the difference being that geelong had forwards that could read the play, were aware he would do it, played in front and were good enough to take advantage..

In the past when tuck has had to quick kick it forward it was the opposition back men that did all these things, rather than our forwards.

The hardest thing to do in footy is get the ball, and tuck does that, and often. The fact that he wins the ball in congestion so often means by the simple law of averages there will be rushed disposals and turnovers.
A few years ago when he was rated in the top ten for contested posesions his effeciency and clangers was on par with most of those other players in the top ten. What tuck lacks that most of these guys do have, is the ability to be creative.
“For My thoughts are not your thoughts,
Nor are your ways my ways,” says the Lord.

“For as the heavens are higher than the earth,
So are my ways higher than your ways,
And my thoughts than your thoughts."

Yahweh? or the great Clawski?

yaw rehto eht dellorcs ti fi daer ot reisae eb dluow tI

dwaino

« Reply #25 on: March 04, 2012, 11:20:43 AM »

That isn't going to win us a flag and I'd doubt if we would even win a final.
While I love the fact Tucky gives us 1st hands and that I'd half the battle it also exposes us to the "goals from turn overs" stat which has plagued us since the Wallace days.

He needs to fix the get it and bomb approach to stay relevant. Surely he knows that?

No but it will help us win games :p. need to learn to crawl before you can walk.

Offline eliminator

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #26 on: March 04, 2012, 02:36:29 PM »
Agree with Al. Tuck also has a good attitude which has a positive influence on other members of the side

Offline yellowandback

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #27 on: March 04, 2012, 03:30:44 PM »
Agree with Al. Tuck also has a good attitude which has a positive influence on other members of the side

So not listening to the coach is a positive influence?
Because that is why he gets dropped, does his own thing.
 I love Tucky too - it's not about his limitations as much as it's his wherewithal to do something about it.

Crawling involves finishing 12th, walking is playing finals.
It's that simple Spud
"I discussed (it) with my three daughters, my wife and my 82-year-old mum, because it has really affected me … If those comments … were made about one of my daughters, it would make the hairs on the back of my neck stand up. I would not have liked it at all.”

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
« Reply #28 on: March 04, 2012, 04:59:30 PM »
The problem for Tucky is he is more an old school midfielder - just get the pill and bomb it forward and if he takes a mark he'll wander back behind the mark, hold onto the footy and then bomb it to the next 50/50 contest. In modern footy you want to control midfield possession and hence control the game.

Tucky will be slowly pushed down the midfield pecking order as our list matures. Playing only 10 games last year was the start and he'll probably play a similar number this year barring injuries to our gun mids. Newy, Lids and young guys like Ellis and Conca are more in Dimma's midfield plans this year which isn't good news for Tucky. It won't surprise me if Tucky is running around for GWS in a year or two.
All you touch and all you see is all your life will ever be - Pink Floyd

Offline Mr Magic

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #29 on: March 04, 2012, 05:03:40 PM »

So not listening to the coach is a positive influence?
Because that is why he gets dropped, does his own thing.
 I love Tucky too - it's not about his limitations as much as it's his wherewithal to do something about it.

Good post.

BTW Tuck's bombing is understated if anything.
Think he'll be a bit player this year.