Author Topic: Richmond thrills for Tommy Hafey (Geelong Addy)  (Read 762 times)

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
Richmond thrills for Tommy Hafey (Geelong Addy)
« on: April 21, 2012, 08:51:40 AM »
Richmond thrills for Tommy Hafey
Danny Lannen
Geelong Advertiser
April 21st, 2012

Tommy Hafey is enjoying Richmond's progress.

AFL great Tom Hafey liked what he saw from the Richmond Tigers of his ardent heart last weekend.

They burst their game against Melbourne wide open with a steamrolling nine-goal third quarter based on the simple premise of winning the ball out of the middle.

"It's such an important area, and I have to laugh when people say nowadays," the former Richmond, Collingwood, Geelong and Sydney coach said yesterday.

"No, no not nowadays, it has been since the year dot.

"You get the first kick out and you're only 20 or 30m from goal. If you don't get it out you're 130m from goal.

"We did really well in that third quarter we won I think nine out of 10 centre bounces and we kicked nine goals."

But the four-time premiership mastermind remains circumspect about the Tigers' chances in tomorrow's game against the reigning premiers at Simonds Stadium.

He expects them to have gained confidence both from victory and from the Cats' capitulation to North Melbourne, but is more than mindful of the foe and the venue.

"I'd like to say they're going to win but I'll be waiting to see to be quite honest," he said.

Hafey, 80, still famously fit and teetotal, evaluated the clash ahead of a visit to Geelong for a Geelong Tigers supporter group dinner at Breakwater's White Eagle House tonight.

"An Evening With Tommy and Friends" will include appearances by Tigers Dale Weightman, Duncan Kellaway, Nick Daffy and Hafey's protege of the 1960s and '70s, Dick Clay.

The main attraction remains a vibrant person of the people and spends much of his time taking country and metropolitan footy club training nights and presenting talks at schools.

"I just say be the best you can, you don't have to worry about anybody else," Hafey said.

"It would be great if everyone gets straight As or top of the grade ... just as long as you're giving it your best shot."

75th birthday celebrations at the MCG.

Hafey rates his three seasons coaching Geelong during the 1980s as a very difficult time personally.

"I was there in a political upheaval sort of thing," he said, but he reckons he could have lived forever in Geelong.

He lived on Camden Rd in Newtown in a house rented from Les Borrack.

"It was the best spot, it backed on to the river," he said. "I swam in the river for three years every day. In the morning I'd be out in the middle, it would be pitch black but there would be mist coming off the river.

"I thought, 'Oh gee how good is this'."

People seeking information about "An Evening With Tommy and Friends" can phone Tamara Doheny on 0432 359 792.

http://www.geelongadvertiser.com.au/article/2012/04/21/321191_gfc.html