Author Topic: A New Tiger Dawn? - Terry Wallace  (Read 5843 times)

Offline Judge Roughneck

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Sir
Re: A New Tiger Dawn? - Terry Wallace
« Reply #30 on: May 11, 2012, 10:35:23 AM »
We would have had wells or goddard w #2.

Blind freddy would have drafted it right. Afl screwed us.

gerkin greg

« Reply #31 on: May 11, 2012, 10:49:46 AM »
We would have had Wells and he'd have been delisted 3 years ago lmfao

Offline Tigger

• Jack Dyer medallist
  • For We're From Tigerland
« Reply #32 on: May 11, 2012, 11:32:56 AM »
G'day all

To correct the record, it was always a possibility that the AFL was going to take away draft picks from carlton as early as mid October 2002, and before we traded for Sugar.  If you google it you will find heaps of comments on bigfooty/footygoss about the possibility of the sanctions.

I remember thinking at the time the Sugar deal was announced that we had in effect traded pick 2 and not pick 4 because of the likely sanctions.

see: http://www.footygoss.com/index.php/forums/viewthread/5840/#55920

We traded away knowing that possibility.

Our fault not the AFL's fault.

What the AFL should have done though, is put back trade week that year to allow the carlton sanctions to be imposed first.  Then clubs would have know exactly what number pick they were trading.

We took the gamble- did we lose - arguably yes cos Wells is still playing and Sugar is long retired.  But Sugar lead us when we didnt have much cattle on the ground.  Gerks might be right - Wells may have been delisted at the tigers cos of our lack of development of our young players in those days.

Offline YellowandBlackBlood

• Long suffering….
  • RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #33 on: May 11, 2012, 12:06:47 PM »
G'day all

To correct the record, it was always a possibility that the AFL was going to take away draft picks from carlton as early as mid October 2002, and before we traded for Sugar.  If you google it you will find heaps of comments on bigfooty/footygoss about the possibility of the sanctions.

I remember thinking at the time the Sugar deal was announced that we had in effect traded pick 2 and not pick 4 because of the likely sanctions.

What the AFL should have done though, is put back trade week that year to allow the carlton sanctions to be imposed first.  Then clubs would have know exactly what number pick they were trading.

We took the gamble- did we lose - arguably yes cos Wells is still playing and Sugar is long retired.  But Sugar lead us when we didnt have much cattle on the ground.  Gerks might be right - Wells may have been delisted at the tigers cos of our lack of development of our young players in those days.

Well I can tell you the club went to the league and asked the bluntly about the possibility of sanctions. They're response was to go ahead and the club felt that that indicated they were not going to strip picks away.

That is fact. Not BF BS!

I knew people in the highest positions at the club at the time. So you can say what you want. You were not privy to the information I was at the time.
OER. Calling it as it is since 2004.

Online Tigeritis™©®

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Richmond, Premiers 2017.2019.2020
« Reply #34 on: May 11, 2012, 12:46:11 PM »
G'day all

Well done Tigger. :clapping   

It goes to show how stupid the club has been.

And even if we had pick 1 or 2 or 3 or 4 they wouldve either stuffed it up completely as history shows they always did. Or they wouldve ruined the career of a potential great player.
This are the FACTS regardless of the bullcrap anyone associated with the club has said in the past.

History speaks louder than Wallet or any other backroom idiot that was making decisions during those years.
The club was at fault and was a laughing stock.

And I'll say it again, thank God for Benny Gale and his vision.     
The club that keeps giving.

gerkin greg

« Reply #35 on: May 11, 2012, 01:41:20 PM »
Benny Gale is a gumby

Offline Coach

• Hardly A Prude
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Depend on Schulzy
« Reply #36 on: May 11, 2012, 02:53:53 PM »
What has God got to do with Benny Gale? Leave that poo off the forum please.

Offline Owl

• Magnificent Bastard
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Bring me TWO chickens
« Reply #37 on: May 11, 2012, 03:15:33 PM »
Amen to that!
Lots of people name their swords......

Offline Coach

• Hardly A Prude
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Depend on Schulzy
« Reply #38 on: May 11, 2012, 03:16:37 PM »
Amen to that!

Phillip has been my husband and has been for the best part of 17 years. I suggest you face it and move on.

Offline Owl

• Magnificent Bastard
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Bring me TWO chickens
« Reply #39 on: May 11, 2012, 03:18:27 PM »
No problem man, 'go all in'.

Offline Coach

• Hardly A Prude
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Depend on Schulzy
« Reply #40 on: May 11, 2012, 03:19:31 PM »
No problem man, 'go all in'.

Don't forget to bring me flowers when you visit tomorrow.

Offline Owl

• Magnificent Bastard
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Bring me TWO chickens
« Reply #41 on: May 11, 2012, 03:23:59 PM »
Whoa  :shh  Back on topic people!  :police:

Offline YellowandBlackBlood

• Long suffering….
  • RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #42 on: May 11, 2012, 03:37:11 PM »
G'day all

Well done Tigger. :clapping   

It goes to show how stupid the club has been.

And even if we had pick 1 or 2 or 3 or 4 they wouldve either stuffed it up completely as history shows they always did. Or they wouldve ruined the career of a potential great player.
This are the FACTS regardless of the bullcrap anyone associated with the club has said in the past.

History speaks louder than Wallet or any other backroom idiot that was making decisions during those years.
The club was at fault and was a laughing stock.

And I'll say it again, thank God for Benny Gale and his vision.     

What you regard as fact is not. It is supposition. If you don't know the difference look it up in the dictionary. If we selected Wells how do you know for sure how things would have turned out? There is a very strong chance he would have bombed out. That is not fact, however, it's supposition.
When the president of the club tells you what he was told by the AFL at the time (not later), and you hear it clearly, that is fact.

I agree that Benny Gale has turned the ship around and both he and Hardwick have been united with March supporting them. It's the best the club has been from an administrative point for many many years.
OER. Calling it as it is since 2004.

Offline Stripes

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #43 on: May 11, 2012, 03:55:30 PM »
What a load of rubbish!!!
The club was screwed by the league???? You've got to be joking??
This was the same draft the club in it's wisdom thought it good to actually pick Shultz, Fleming and let's not forget, "the great" Billy Nicholls.
Reality is they were the worst club at selecting good players and even worse at developing players. Even if they had pick 2 they probably wouldve picked up Shultz earlier.
But even if they sneaked over to another clubs table and copied their short list because other clubs had some clue and actually watched the players (they were thinking of drafting) play, they wouldve ruined the career of that player anyway with pee poor development.
So I wouldn't be blaming the AFL for screwing us over but I'd be blaming the club administration and the worst recruiter in the league.
 Thank God for Benny Gale and finally some vision at Richmond.   

Great post Mr Tigra! We can't keep on blaming the league, past coaches, Carlton or anyone else for our prolonged period of failure. This example is just one in a series of poor club administration blunders from Richmond. Our administration has made error after error with recruiting, development and finances.

For too long we have made poorly informed 'gut feel' decisions to our future detriment. This is why I'm loving Benny, Dimma and Hartley at the moment because they are making decisions based on long term goals and with exhaustive research behind them.

In it not coincidence we now finally starting to look competitive on field.

Online Tigeritis™©®

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Richmond, Premiers 2017.2019.2020
« Reply #44 on: May 11, 2012, 03:59:29 PM »
What a load of rubbish!!!
The club was screwed by the league???? You've got to be joking??
This was the same draft the club in it's wisdom thought it good to actually pick Shultz, Fleming and let's not forget, "the great" Billy Nicholls.
Reality is they were the worst club at selecting good players and even worse at developing players. Even if they had pick 2 they probably wouldve picked up Shultz earlier.
But even if they sneaked over to another clubs table and copied their short list because other clubs had some clue and actually watched the players (they were thinking of drafting) play, they wouldve ruined the career of that player anyway with pee poor development.
So I wouldn't be blaming the AFL for screwing us over but I'd be blaming the club administration and the worst recruiter in the league.
 Thank God for Benny Gale and finally some vision at Richmond.   

Great post Mr Tigra! We can't keep on blaming the league, past coaches, Carlton or anyone else for our prolonged period of failure. This example is just one in a series of poor club administration blunders from Richmond. Our administration has made error after error with recruiting, development and finances.

For too long we have made poorly informed 'gut feel' decisions to our future detriment. This is why I'm loving Benny, Dimma and Hartley at the moment because they are making decisions based on long term goals and with exhaustive research behind them.

In it not coincidence we now finally starting to look competitive on field.
:thumbsup
The club that keeps giving.