Author Topic: We need to learn to bury sides  (Read 1007 times)

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
We need to learn to bury sides
« on: April 17, 2005, 07:39:48 PM »
I might be getting a touch ahead of myself given we came off a wooden spoon year but today we could and should have spanked the Dockers by 12 goals. They were a complete rabble  ;D. A 8 goal win is still a top win and we played well as a team for most of the day but we need to learn to bury sides into the turf when we have them on the ropes and score percentage. 
All you touch and all you see is all your life will ever be - Pink Floyd

Offline Fishfinger

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • You can't put brains in an idiot
Re: We need to learn to bury sides
« Reply #1 on: April 17, 2005, 07:49:54 PM »
True MT. In defence of the team the wind was very swirly at the Punt Rd end so goals were scarce for the whole game and for us in the last quarter.
I thought we outplayed the Shockers for all but the last 10 minutes. Took a bit of gloss off and didn't allow the crowd to let loose but it was still a great feeling.
« Last Edit: April 18, 2005, 04:58:11 AM by Fishfinger »
It's 50 of one and half a dozen of the other - Don Scott

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
« Reply #2 on: April 17, 2005, 09:55:48 PM »
That's true. Only 4 goals kicked at that end all day compared to 17 at the city end.

I thought we outplayed the Shockers for all but the last 10 minutes.

Agree FF. I know the last 10 minutes was meaningless junk time but I would still have liked for us to not have switched off, allow Freo a couple of soft late goals and lose the last quarter. Our disposals for the quarter were down by 20 compared to the first three. The 8 goal final margin is kind to Freo.

Good to read Terry say it was a disappointing finish to a good win:

The last quarter was really disappointing for us," Wallace said. "It was an opportunity to really put some cream on the cake and we weren't able to do so. So that was the disappointment in the day, but in general I thought there were some really good signs.

http://www.heraldsun.news.com.au/footy/common/story_page/0,8033,15001447%255E19771,00.html
« Last Edit: April 18, 2005, 05:44:20 AM by mightytiges »

Offline WilliamPowell

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Better to ignore a fool than encourage one
    • One Eyed Richmond
« Reply #3 on: April 18, 2005, 04:21:53 PM »
I actually had a chuckle during the final quarter when all the people around me were getting upset over those missed goals.

27 minutes in the last someone yelled out that were letting the Dockers back into the game :rollin

Yes I was disappointed with the lack of conversion in the fianl quarter but after all those losses last year I'll take the 48 point win.

But..................

If it happens again  >:(  :shh :rollin

Glad to see we got a big boost in % too. Up about 15+ %  :thumbsup

"Oh yes I am a dreamer, I still see us flying high!"

from the song "Don't Walk Away" by Pat Benatar 1988 (Wide Awake In Dreamland)

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
« Reply #4 on: April 18, 2005, 04:56:25 PM »
27 minutes in the last someone yelled out that were letting the Dockers back into the game :rollin

LOL WP. Reminds of Spud chucking his water bottle in the coaches box when we were 7 goals up against the Dons late in the game in 2003.

Best comment from the crowd where I was sitting came in the first minute of the game when a Freo player gave away a free to us in the centre - "Umpy he's been doing it all day"  ;D