Author Topic: Dimma's aftermatch media conference / Loss a bitter pill to swallow: Hardwick  (Read 6143 times)

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
Hard loss for Tigers to swallow

Glenn McFarlane
    May 20, 2012

RICHMOND coach Damien Hardwick described the club's 19-point loss to Essendon as "a bitter pill to swallow", lamenting a slow start and some wayward ball-use at stages in the forward 50m.

Trailing by as much as seven goals early in the third term, the Tigers launched a bold second half bid to claim the points.

They took the lead early in the final term, but the Bombers regained control late in the contest.

"When you come from that far back, I think we we were down 35 at halftime, it was always going to be an enormous struggle," Hardwick said.

"To hit the front in the last quarter, you are always going to expend a certain amount of energy trying to get over the top. We just ran out of legs at the end."

Richmond had 66 inside 50s to the Bombers' 48, but at times the Tigers just lacked the composure to make the most of it.

"Look, Essendon played it very well, that's why they are up where they are (on the ladder),'' Hardwick said.

''But our ball use inside 50 was good at stages and then at other stages we just weren't quite as composed enough going inside 50, which probably cost us a bit.

"We will learn, we will get better, but it is a bitter pill to swallow once again."

The Tigers' cause was not helped by the loss of defender Dylan Grimes, who was subbed out of the game before halftime after suffering what Hardiwck said was a "minor hamstring" injury.

"It's not a significant one as compared to the corresponding game last year," Hardwick said of Grimes, who missed the second half of 2011 with a much more serious hamstring injury on his other leg.

"Hopefully it is OK, but it looks like a minor one at this stage."

The Tigers coach praised midfielder Brett Deledio for his game-high 35 touches and his 10 tackles.

"His (Deledio) ability to push forward and be really damaging inside 50m (has been important)," Hardwick said.

"His contested ball work has come on in leaps and bounds and that's probably one area of his game that I thought needed work, but he has just been enormous in that area this year.

"He has become an elite player in the competition, if he wasn't already there."

Hardwick also gave credit to ruckman Ivan Maric for his hard work in the ruck and Trent Cotchin for his tireless run.

"(Ivan) was fantastic, last week (against Sydney) I think I said he played an enormous game, this week was even better," Hardwick said.

"He was pretty close to this bloke (Deledio) as one of the better players on the ground."

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/afl/more-news/hard-loss-for-tigers-to-swallow/story-e6frf9jf-1226361190566

Hardwick also praised the game of Tigers ruckman Ivan Maric, who had 22 possessions, nine marks and 29 hit-outs against the Bombers.

"He was fantastic. The amount of times he took a crucial mark when we needed [it] and used the ball well was fantastic," Hardwick said.

"I think last week I said he played an enormous game [against the Sydney Swans], this week was even better. Especially against a formidable combination of [Patrick] Ryder and [Tom] Bellchambers, I think he was … one of the better players on the ground."

Hardwick said defender Dylan Grimes, who was substituted out of the match late in the second quarter, had suffered only a minor hamstring strain. Significantly, he said Grimes' injury was not to the same hamstring he injured in last year's Dream Time at the 'G game, an injury that ruled him out of the rest of the 2011 season.

However, Hardwick said Grimes' injury had left Richmond's defence undermanned against Essendon's tall forwards but he was pleased with the way his defenders had coped.

"[Jake] Batchelor had to play taller. [Matt] Dea had to play taller. We were probably under the pump a little while," Hardwick said.

"But I was really pleased with the way those guys fought it out. Ryder was dangerous early … but overall I thought the guys battled manfully in the second half."

http://www.richmondfc.com.au/news/newsarticle/tabid/6301/newsid/136276/default.aspx

Ruanaidh

Against Geelong: Bartel...West Coast: Kerr.....Essendon: Watson. When it comes to the crunch time in a match we sorely lack the blood and guts leadership that others have. All of our so called leaders need to address this quickly or we will have 'honourable' losses all year ::) Newman and Cotch were s...house last night when the whips were cracking.

10 FLAGS

Newman doesnt have the onfield ability to change the game. TBH he is just a hard working player who puts in but thats about it. We cant expect him to do what you want - he hasnt got that ability.

Hellenic Tiger

Against Geelong: Bartel...West Coast: Kerr.....Essendon: Watson. When it comes to the crunch time in a match we sorely lack the blood and guts leadership that others have. All of our so called leaders need to address this quickly or we will have 'honourable' losses all year ::) Newman and Cotch were s...house last night when the whips were cracking.

I thought Cotch last quarter was sensational. Don't know what Richmond game you were watching but the one I was watching showed Cotch kick 2 goals in the last one to put us in front. :shh

Gigantor

Yeah i thought Cotch was sensational last night as he is every game

Offline TFL

• RFC Hall of Fame
ONly mistake Cotch made was that kick to Monfries.

His gut running and efforts last night were sensational. He has to be Captain next year.

Offline Penelope

• Internet nuffer and sooky jellyfish
  • RFC Hall of Fame
Newman doesnt have the onfield ability to change the game. TBH he is just a hard working player who puts in but thats about it. We cant expect him to do what you want - he hasnt got that ability.

Yeah, thats it in a nutshell.

Also agree with the positive assesments of cotch. Thought he was superb last night
“For My thoughts are not your thoughts,
Nor are your ways my ways,” says the Lord.

“For as the heavens are higher than the earth,
So are my ways higher than your ways,
And my thoughts than your thoughts."

Yahweh? or the great Clawski?

yaw rehto eht dellorcs ti fi daer ot reisae eb dluow tI

TigerTimeII

i think we should have dual captains, deledio and cotchin

Dubstep Dookie

i think we should have dual captains, deledio and cotchin
X2

Offline Go Richo 12

• Richmond tragic, bleeding heart, hopeless cricketer and terrible fisherman.
  • RFC Hall of Fame

Offline Loui Tufga

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Beaver BLT

Online Willy

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • All up inside ya.

Offline YellowandBlackBlood

• Long suffering….
  • RFC Hall of Fame
OER. Calling it as it is since 2004.

Ruanaidh

I thought Cotch last quarter was sensational. Don't know what Richmond game you were watching but the one I was watching showed Cotch kick 2 goals in the last one to put us in front. :shh
I may sound a little harsh but when you look closely Newman missed tackles and Cotch made that monumental kicking blunder and missed tackles. No-one stood up when the game was there for the taking (in the last 10mins) and I am sick of it.
« Last Edit: May 20, 2012, 06:08:40 PM by Ruanaidh »