Author Topic: Is this how you beat St Kilda?  (Read 7373 times)

Offline H Tiger

• Premiership Captain
  • Tigers the biggest hunter
Re: Is this how you beat St Kilda?
« Reply #15 on: April 22, 2005, 06:20:22 PM »
If we can shut 2 out of Ball DalSanto and Hayes then we have a chance.  And in Cogs and Tuck, I think we might be able to do so.  These 2 are very strong in the clinches and can constantly win the hard ball and create.  If we can limit their supply, Newman and Bowden should be able to shut down Milne and Hammil respectively while creating drive out of defence. 

That's the plan Harry  :thumbsup. This game is like a jigsaw puzzle from the Tiges perspective. Get the first piece in place (shut down 2 of Ball, Dal Santo and Hayes) and the rest of the pieces will fall into place for us nicely IMO; don't and we're stuffed from the start. I'm expecting a reality check this week but in saying that there's a genuine chance there to cause a major boilover.

Quote from: Tiv
If they dont jump us and we are with them until 1/2 time, look out saints!

In the past I have questioned our ability to play with Saints as they have spanked us especially at Telstra Dome.

Agree Tiv. Our second halves have been strong and we've run out games well (nice to finally have a fit side on the park unlike last year).

The "perfect" indoor conditions at the Dome really suit their style of play. At the 'G they're not so fearsome. The Saints have pumped us the past 3 times by being too quick in the midfield for us and thrashing us clearing from stoppages. We've turned that around this year granted against weaker sides than St Kilda. I'm looking forward to see how we go.

I too am a liitle worried about how we will go.

But I've tipped the boys to win.................... Because I'm coming down from Brisvegas to see the game!@!! ;D

Go tiges

Offline Rodgerramjet

• OER - CONTRIBUTOR
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Never cast pearls before swine.
« Reply #16 on: April 22, 2005, 07:08:09 PM »
Yep, they will be definatly targeting Brown. I believe to win this game we are going to need more options in our forward line firing, Simmonds, Pettifer, Krakour, Stafford and some midfielders are going to have to kick goals, hopefully one of them will get a bag. We can't go back to being too one dimensional with Richardson which I feel with what happened last week against Freo we could fall back to relying on him too much, we have to in this game start to show some real versatility in this area.

Two key players that we have to dominate on the ground is Luke Ball and Austin Jones, Statistically speaking these two players perform very well aginst us and really hurt us with their posessions. Guerra is another one that  needs to be watched and or laid out if possible, he is a hitman or sniper, he's the Saints Byron Pickett, Guerra's role is to hurt someone ( a la Bruce ) and to basically throw his weight around as much as possible.

The Saints are a little concerned about us, although they showed some good form last week against the Demons in the last quarter their overall form for the year has been a little patchy and has not been proved to be consistent as yet, this game will be just as revealing to the Saints as it is to us. The fact that Robert Harvey would stand on his kitchen table in order to jump from it to sever the remaining tendon in his foot so he could play in the game suggests that the Saints were desperate enough to get Harvey into the game this week and arent confident enough in themselves about the way they are travelling at the moment, there's no doubt the Saints have some doubts about their current form.

The article earlier in the week by Wallace suggesting a shootout is a clear message to Thomas that the defensive tagging style of play is not how we are intending to play the game. ( the article could be a ruse as well) This article throws the challenge to Thomas to do the same thing regarding the Saints style of play. Maybe it's a suggestion by Wallace that "we'll leave your runners alone and now have you got the guts to leave ours alone and may the best team win"  we'll see.

If the Saints show the same form as against Melbourne I think were in deep trouble ( 6 to 10 Goal loss) and I don't think we can win this game without shutting down Ball and Jones.
The lips of Wisdom are closed, except to the ears of Understanding.

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
Nothing to lose: Wallace
« Reply #17 on: April 23, 2005, 03:59:05 AM »
Nothing to lose: Wallace
6:00:19 PM Fri 22 April, 2005
Jen Witham
Sportal for afl.com.au

Richmond coach Terry Wallace believes his team has nothing to lose going into its round five clash with St Kilda.

The Tigers meet the Saints at Telstra Dome - the ground that has became a haven for St Kilda victories - with Melbourne the most recent victims.

"They're tough to play at the Dome at any stage, they're a fantastic side, I think they've won something like 21 out of their last 22 games on that particular ground, so it's going to be a difficult day, but it's a real challenge for our guys," Wallace said on Friday.

"We're probably in a position where we have got nothing to lose, and no one really believes that we're capable of being able to knock them off,"

"But we're in good form, we've got some confidence going into the game."

With the Saints flying after knocking off the previously-undefeated Demons in round four, Wallace said that the pressure for his team to perform was no higher than that of St Kilda.

If anything, in his opinion, the pressure on the Tigers is less than that on the Saints, with St Kilda the clear favourite to claim the four points.

"I don't think there is very much pressure on us at all where we've come from, losing our last 14 games in a row last year," he said.

"I pick up the paper and every person has picked St Kilda to win."

"Quite a few of them have picked them as the key win of the round, so I would think that everything is fair and square on St Kilda being absolute hot favourites for the game."

Far from viewing the underdog tag pessimistically, Wallace says the club will use this match to measure where it stands in comparison to one of the serious flag contenders for 2005.

"We can go in and find out exactly where we stand without any pressure, from that aspect, but in saying that, every time you go to the footy you want to win," he said.

"Our expectation is that we want to be competitive every time we go out there, and that's playing against the quality sides in the competition as well as those that are down a few rungs."

"There's no doubt that St Kilda is a quality side, they showed that last week against Melbourne and they’re back into their very best form."

"So we'll just see where it takes us."

Wallace did admit he was bewildered by the AFL's decision to close the Telstra Dome roof during Sunday's twilight match.

"I would rather it closed all the time, so I'm quite comfortable with the view this week," he said.

"I'm confused, I never know, I'm just waiting on a call from the AFL every time about why and where and how.

"This time it's 26 degrees, you're not coming in and out of sun and this time it's closed. Last time we played there it was 26 degrees and we were coming in and out of sun and it was open.

"I don't understand."

http://richmondfc.com.au/default.asp?pg=news&spg=display&articleid=198111

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
« Reply #18 on: April 23, 2005, 04:50:31 AM »
The article earlier in the week by Wallace suggesting a shootout is a clear message to Thomas that the defensive tagging style of play is not how we are intending to play the game. ( the article could be a ruse as well) This article throws the challenge to Thomas to do the same thing regarding the Saints style of play. Maybe it's a suggestion by Wallace that "we'll leave your runners alone and now have you got the guts to leave ours alone and may the best team win"  we'll see.

Terry's pushed the underdog status again last night.

Nothing wrong with going head to head in the midfield without any defensive taggers provided we are accountable. I don't reckon we'd last too long against the Saints runners if each midfield took a wing and played 50m off their direct opponent. Our strength this year has been winning the contested footy around stoppages. Stick to that and then once clear run in supporting numbers on full out attack through the corridor and get the footy quickly to our forwards to give them space to lead into.

Agree RR we still need to consistently create other options up forward. So far only Richo and Browny have been consistent goalscorers. We've had mostly cameos from our other forwards. Stafford gave us another option in the second half last week with some nice marks inside 50.     
All you touch and all you see is all your life will ever be - Pink Floyd

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
« Reply #19 on: April 23, 2005, 05:04:18 AM »
Noticed on Saintsational no mention of Hyde and Tuck as part of our midfield in one of their previews link ???. Hope the St Kilda coaching staff don't rate them either at their own peril. Both averaging 20+ possessions per game so far this year.

Like to know where this Tiger arrogance comes from  ???. lol claiming that after saying they're going to win by 100 pts  ::).
All you touch and all you see is all your life will ever be - Pink Floyd

Offline julzqld

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • For We're From Tigerland
« Reply #20 on: April 23, 2005, 07:58:23 AM »
The main difference between us this year and last year, is of course, change of coach.  At least this year there is some sort of game plan and no Saints sympathies from TW.  The fact that Riewoldt is out will be in our favour.  And yet, I am still feeling uncertain as to how we will go. :-\