Author Topic: Phil Cleary calls on Richmond to delay plans on the VFL Tigers' future (H-Sun)  (Read 3761 times)

Gigantor

if push came to shove i would pay an extra amount.However i think the club now needs to do some serious homework and find alternative and stable income streams ,rather than coming to us supporters every so often.we have helped and will continue to do so,but Richmond now need to stand on its own 2 feet if we are to reach the upper echelons of the AFL(where we belong)

Offline DCrane

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Belle, Richmond PR manager
I usually have alot of time for phil,but i reckon he's being a tad one sided here.if it wasnt for RFC coburg FC would be but a distant memory now and  on the city oval would be a large housing estate.

He is a former captain, coach and premiership player at the club. Presumably he is a life member also. Of course he is going to be one sided. As Gracie pointed out both parties need 12 mths or more to sort things out. A win/win is easily achievable here. I don't understand the hatred towards Phil in this thread when he actually has the same stance on the alliance as Tiger fans do!

Offline bojangles17

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Platinum member 33 years
Strange comment, why would our position have coburgs best interest at heart when it runs contrary to ours ::)
RFC 1885, Often Imitated, Never Equalled

Offline crackertiger

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • For We're From Tigerland
No room for sentiment in business. I think RFC should pull the pin on Coburg asap! The commercial opportunities we will gain by fielding our own VFL team can not be underestimated. Surely the VFL can see the benifit in playing VFL games at Punt Road prior to AFL games.

Offline DCrane

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Belle, Richmond PR manager
What I meant was like most people on this forum, Phil Cleary never wanted and was always uncomfortable with the alliance. This is something that the 2 parties share in common. It's just about how you go your own separate ways, and timing is a big part of that.

Offline Eat_em_Alive

• RFC Hall of Fame
No room for sentiment in business. I think RFC should pull the pin on Coburg asap! The commercial opportunities we will gain by fielding our own VFL team can not be underestimated. Surely the VFL can see the benifit in playing VFL games at Punt Road prior to AFL games.

My oath, I would be there on afl game days.

Just can't get out to burgers games like at mantello oval or even further out
The anywhere, anytime Tigers.
E A T  E M  A L I V E  M O F O S

Dubstep Dookie

What I meant was like most people on this forum, Phil Cleary never wanted and was always uncomfortable with the alliance. This is something that the 2 parties share in common. It's just about how you go your own separate ways, and timing is a big part of that.

Yep timing. As in, finish this season up and GTFO Coburg.

Offline tigs2011

• RFC Hall of Fame
Would everyone pay an extra tenner on an average adult membership in order for the club to go at it alone sooner rather than later? Take it to the peeps tigers, I for one would be happy to pay a bit extra to help bridge the financial gap

Damn straight I would.

gerkin greg

Yep timing. As in, finish this season up and GTFO Coburg.

This

RFC have done enough prep on this to roll next year if the money & standalone license is available

Why do you think Gale got Knighta the Geelong VFL job?  :shh

Offline Judge Roughneck

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Sir
Clearly wants elton aarnot moore etc.

But call them the lions  :-\

Cant have it both ways

Offline Penelope

• Internet nuffer and sooky jellyfish
  • RFC Hall of Fame
i think people may have misinterpreted what phil is saying;
the Coburg premiership coach and former player said Richmond ending its 11-year alignment with the 121-year-old local club would present a hope for traditionalists.

"On the one hand it's extremely disappointing but on the other hand it gives you a sense of hope," Cleary told Leader.

It is then he talks about being the lions. i take he means that one of the positives of breaking the alignment is they can go back to their old identity, which i can can understand. I followed Box Hill in the VFA from the days they won one or two games a year in the second division, but once they became the box hill hawks, no way Jose.

He doesn't seem to have any animosity, but is just asking for the time to make sure they are prepared to go it alone.

You'd have thought that followers of a club that was once on the brink itself would have some understanding about how it feels to face the prospect of your club disappearing or losing it's identity.

Should have known better i suppose.
“For My thoughts are not your thoughts,
Nor are your ways my ways,” says the Lord.

“For as the heavens are higher than the earth,
So are my ways higher than your ways,
And my thoughts than your thoughts."

Yahweh? or the great Clawski?

yaw rehto eht dellorcs ti fi daer ot reisae eb dluow tI

Offline JVT

• RFC Hall of Fame
I'd be happy to put in an extra $5-10 on my membership. With 50,000 members, an extra $5-10 on each gives you $250,000 (licensing fee) - $500,000 (probably all running costs and licensing fee). Not to mention, the club fielding their own VFL team would hopefully mean game's at punt road prior to RFC playing on the G. Merch, sponsorship opportunities. I know not all members can afford the extra money, but I'd be happy to put it in.