Author Topic: Connors and Martin in trouble!! [Update: Dan gone; Dusty 2 week suspension]  (Read 23403 times)

Online MintOnLamb

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • You have to think anyway, so why not think big? DT
Pickin' up the pieces
Up off the floor
How was I to know
There was gonna be a war
Words of sorrow
Words of spite
Ringin' in my head
Right through the night
Don't you know it's a cryin' shame
When you've got yourself to blame
Ohhhhhhhh

Offline Dice

• RFC Hall of Fame
Pickin' up the pieces
Up off the floor
How was I to know
There was gonna be a war
Words of sorrow
Words of spite
Ringin' in my head
Right through the night
When you've got yourself to blame
Ohhhhhhhh
ok  ::)
Tanking has put the club where it's at - Paul Roos

Offline georgies31

• RFC Hall of Fame
Like they say put good apples with bad apples you get all bad ones.Connors should have gone years ago !!!!.

Offline WilliamPowell

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Better to ignore a fool than encourage one
    • One Eyed Richmond
Final reminder keep the unsubstantiated non-reported rumours off the forum.  That includes rumours using "riddles"

Again you cannot make allegations that are not proven. You leave OER open to legal actions no matter how slim the chance maybe  :banghead

Don't think we are asking too much. 
"Oh yes I am a dreamer, I still see us flying high!"

from the song "Don't Walk Away" by Pat Benatar 1988 (Wide Awake In Dreamland)

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
Pills seal Connors' fate
afl.com.au
Wed 04 Jul, 2012

TROUBLED utility Daniel Connors and star midfielder Dustin Martin have assured Richmond no illicit drugs were involved in the events that saw Connors depart the club and Martin suspended over use of sleeping medication.

The Tigers announced on Tuesday that Connors and the club had "mutually agreed to part ways" after he and Martin missed training on Tuesday morning as a result of taking sleeping medication the night before.

Richmond said in a statement on its website that while Connors was on prescribed medication and had not been drinking alcohol, he had, by his own admission, failed to uphold club standards by missing training.

"As a result, he has decided to walk away from the club and focus on the next phase of his life."

Just two weeks ago, coach Damien Hardwick praised Connors for winning back the trust of his teammates after he fought his way into the senior side for the clash with Greater Western Sydney.

Martin had consumed alcohol on Monday night, and also took non-prescribed sleeping medication, before missing the Tuesday morning training session.

Richmond football manager Craig Cameron told a media conference on Wednesday afternoon that he had been assured by the two players that illicit drugs had not been involved.

He said the Tigers' leadership group had been consulted on and had agreed to the penalties.

"We have set a standard as a football club and there is a clear expectation that our players meet that standard," Cameron said.

"Adhering to training requirements is not negotiable.

"Daniel has failed to meet club expectations on a number of occasions and this latest incident can't be considered in isolation."

Cameron said Connors had not been given an opportunity to plead his case before a decision was made.

The club had been in contact with the player, his management and family, and would continue to support the 23-year-old as he worked through his off-field issues.

Martin will miss critical matches against Melbourne and Gold Coast, compounding the losses earlier this week of Jake King, Dylan Grimes and Tyrone Vickery to injury, and Daniel Jackson to suspension.

"There's no doubt that these sanctions have an impact on our on-field playing ability, but in the long-term we want to be a club that sets standards and sticks by them," Cameron said.

"Dustin understands that missing training is simply unacceptable.

"We want to send a strong message that we don't accept this sort of behaviour and Dustin is now fully aware of this."

Cameron said he had had no previous concerns over Martin's off-field behaviour, and the onballer "hadn't missed a beat at training".

He said Martin had had "a couple of bourbon and Cokes" and taken sleeping medication on the night before failing to turn up at training.

The medication had not belonged to Connors.

Cameron said the club would counsel Martin about taking prescription medication before first consulting with the club doctor.

"Dustin's very remorseful for his actions and he's upset that he's let the football club down."

Martin and a teammate were playing pool at a friend's house on Monday night before staying the night at Connors' home.

Cameron said Martin had taken the medication because he couldn't sleep.

"This is Dustin's first sanction by the football club.

"I think two matches is a fair penalty, but it's a penalty we want to make sure sends a message."

Agent Ralph Carr, who manages Martin's affairs, was bunkered down at Punt Rd as Richmond officials made a call on his client's penalty.

"Look, he's very disappointed in himself," Carr said.

"You know, the guy's really upset that he's let the club down and his teammates down. I'll leave it at that."

Connors played 29 matches for the Tigers after being drafted with pick No. 58 in the 2007 NAB AFL Draft. He played two matches this season after three in an injury-plagued 2011.

http://www.afl.com.au/news/newsarticle/tabid/208/newsid/140364/default.aspx

Offline rogerd3

• RFC Hall of Fame
mmm Ralph Carr i'd be watching him.

Offline WA Tiger

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • For We're From Tigerland
Gee a lot of you are focusing on Connors, yep get rid of him but hell don't let Martin off.
DIMMA - You will be held ACCOUNTABLE...

“We are really excited about what we have brought in. We have got great depth of players that can take us where we need to go. We are just putting some cream on the top at the moment,” he said.

"Rucks:
Shaun Hampson is the No.1 man"

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
Gee a lot of you are focusing on Connors, yep get rid of him but hell don't let Martin off.
Dusty is lucky to just get 2 weeks. The Club could have really been tough to make a statement to the rest of the playing group and suspended him for the rest of the season. Stevie Johnson was suspended for 6 weeks (?) at the start of the 2007 season by the Geelong leadership group to get his head finally screwed on.
All you touch and all you see is all your life will ever be - Pink Floyd

Online Tigeritis™©®

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Richmond, Premiers 2017.2019.2020
I want to know the real story. Can someone please PM me?? Please.
The club that keeps giving.

Ruanaidh

I want to know the real story. Can someone please PM me?? Please.
If you head in a diametrically opposite direction to where the protagonists are pointing you would be closer to the truth....at least that's what my 'spidey-sense' is telling me.

Ruanaidh

Someone touched on the role of the leadership group. IMO they have failed to put their stamp on these 2 and must be looked at accordingly.

gerkin greg

Someone touched on the role of the leadership group. IMO they have failed to put their stamp on these 2 and must be looked at accordingly.

Newman & Jackson leading the way  :bow

Offline WilliamPowell

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Better to ignore a fool than encourage one
    • One Eyed Richmond

Funny you mention the leadership group.

Irony isn't lost on me that they have recommended serial offender Connors be sacked and that one members said group is a serial offender when it comes to get reported and subsequently suspended. Also ironic said leadership group member's name is also Daniel.

Bit hypocritical to waffling on about club standards or don't they apply to all Daniels
"Oh yes I am a dreamer, I still see us flying high!"

from the song "Don't Walk Away" by Pat Benatar 1988 (Wide Awake In Dreamland)

Offline Phil Mrakov

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • They said I could be anything so I became Phil
Connors will probably go on a bender now :cheers
hhhaaarrgghhh hhhhaaarrggghhh hhhhaaaarrrggghh
HHAAARRRGGGHHHH HHHHAAARRRGGGHHHH HHHHHAAAAARRRRGGGGGHHHHH