Author Topic: Deledio future Judd-like midfielder - Pettifer  (Read 1085 times)

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
Deledio future Judd-like midfielder - Pettifer
« on: April 24, 2005, 04:27:26 AM »
Kayne helps out hometown boy
24 April 2005   
Sunday Herald Sun
Howard Kotton

BRETT Deledio has the ability to be as dominant a midfielder as West Coast dynamo Chris Judd, according to Kayne Pettifer.

"Brett has got all the attributes of a 250-game player," Pettifer said. "He's six foot two (188cm), he's put on about five or six kilos and he's the quickest at the club by a mile.

"Once he realises he can do it, he'll be hard to stop. He kicked a goal last weekend and took some really strong marks.

"He's going to be a player to watch. Once he gets a few pre-seasons under his belt, he'll be a Judd-like midfielder."

Deledio and Pettifer hail from Kyabram in north-central Victoria, and the pair knew each other before Deledio was selected as the top pick in last year's national draft.

Since Deledio arrived at Punt Rd, Pettifer has provided plenty of support for the youngster as he adjusts to life in the city.

"I knew when I first came down it was pretty tough, so I try to help him out," Pettifer said. "He's a great bloke."

Pettifer goes back to Kyabram as often as his football commitments allow him to return to the bush.

"I always go shooting when I go back home, but during the season I don't really get home that much," he said.

"If we play a Friday night or a Saturday game, I might head home after that. I've got a few mates' weddings coming up, so I'll head back home for those."

http://www.heraldsun.news.com.au/footy/common/story_page/0,8033,15060669%255E19771,00.html

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
Re: Deledio future Judd-like midfielder - Pettifer
« Reply #1 on: April 24, 2005, 05:12:21 AM »
Although hopefully Kayne is right in a few years about Lids, it's a bit of unwanted pressure on the kid to say he will end up Judd-like after only 4 matches.

Let's just let Brett develop into the next Brett Deledio.
All you touch and all you see is all your life will ever be - Pink Floyd

Offline JohnF

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • ROFLMAO
« Reply #2 on: April 24, 2005, 09:17:15 PM »
Agree. Judd is a rediculous level to measure yourself against.

Though I must say the kid definitey has some tricks.

Offline WilliamPowell

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Better to ignore a fool than encourage one
    • One Eyed Richmond
« Reply #3 on: April 24, 2005, 11:12:16 PM »
After this evening there is one thing that Deledio needs to work on desperately and that is the defensive side of his game.

There were a couple of times this evening where his opponent ran off too easily andf he didn't put in the big effort to chase just jogged after him. Also, he really seemed to struggle when the Saints were kicking in - didn't know what to do or who to go to - Saints got a cipule of easy kick ins from it >:(
"Oh yes I am a dreamer, I still see us flying high!"

from the song "Don't Walk Away" by Pat Benatar 1988 (Wide Awake In Dreamland)

letsgetiton!

« Reply #4 on: April 25, 2005, 09:36:14 AM »
After this evening there is one thing that Deledio needs to work on desperately and that is the defensive side of his game.

There were a couple of times this evening where his opponent ran off too easily andf he didn't put in the big effort to chase just jogged after him. Also, he really seemed to struggle when the Saints were kicking in - didn't know what to do or who to go to - Saints got a cipule of easy kick ins from it >:(

i agrre but judd dosnt have a defensive side , and once lids gets experience and confidence he will become better than judd, lids still has room to grow 2 more inches! he will make every chase him as judd does.

i dont think its too much pressure, its given him a goal to prove , he now should bust his guts. in saying so , if he can develop defensive skills that would be a bonus but he must learn from the experienced blokes, and if guys like brown, bowden, tivers  etc dont themselves put on defensive pressure how is the kid meant to learn?

i belive they should throw him in the heat of battl asap and play him predominantly on ball, they have to give his a job and stop protecting him