Author Topic: Congrats Richo on 200 spectacular games  (Read 2739 times)

Offline Tiger Spirit

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • For We're From Tigerland
Re: Congrats Richo on 200 spectacular games
« Reply #15 on: April 29, 2005, 10:01:24 AM »
Congratulations to Richo on 200 games.  :thumbsup

Along the way he’s made us do this  :cheers, this  :help, this :scream, this  :thumbsup, this :lol, this  :rollin, this :help, this  ???, this  ::), this  8), this  :o, this  >:(, this  :-[, this  :-X, this  :-\, this  :'(, this :gobdrop, this  :bow and even this  :banghead, but never this :sleep.  Bit like Richmond really.

It's been memorable, that's for sure and even if you tried you couldn’t not like him.  Well done and hope it’s a game to remember. :thumbsup :thumbsup
Everything that is done in this world is done by hope.  --Martin Luther

The time you enjoy wasting isn’t wasted time.

Offline bg25

• Jack Dyer medallist
« Reply #16 on: April 29, 2005, 10:31:17 AM »
"It's been memorable, that's for sure and even if you tried you couldn’t not like him.  Well done and hope it’s a game to remember."

TS - Let's hope it's memorable for all the right reasons!

And while we're on Richo....he'd have to be the only player that could burn his finger on a hair staightener 3 days before a big match (or at any time for that matter). :lol :lol The irony was that his hair wasn't even straight :rollin.

Never a dull moment where the big fella's concerned.

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
Richo gets his highs on ground
« Reply #17 on: May 02, 2005, 03:35:31 AM »
Richo gets his highs on ground
02 May 2005   
Herald Sun
Mark Stevens

HE DIDN'T mind flying for an old-fashioned "hanger" in the second term, but Matthew Richardson was afflicted by a sudden fear of heights after the siren.

As much as Richardson's teammates tried to convince him, there was no way the big fella was going to be chaired off for his 200th game.

"I'm not really into the chairing aspect of things. I feel a bit stupid," Richardson said from the safety of the rooms.

The fans at the Coventry end who spent much of the afternoon chanting "Richo" were no doubt hoping for more, but he sought the company of Richard Tambling and Danny Meyer as he left the field.

"I just wanted to walk off with Rich and Danny. I think it's better to do that," he said.

"We had Gas's (Darren Gaspar's) 200th last week and had a bad loss. We didn't chair him off and I don't think it's appropriate today either."

In stark contrast to the low-key finish, everything else about Richo's big day out was over the top.

He took 17 marks – including eight contested. The entire Port side took just seven contested grabs for the day.

To cap it off, Richardson put in a nomination for mark of the year in the second term. Planting his knee in the back of Toby Thurstans, he soared for a sensational one-grabber 10m out.

"Sometimes you think you can't get up any more. It's good to think there might be a little bit of spring left. I don't know how much though," Richardson said.

The Tigers had trailed by as many as 28 points midway through the second term. When Richardson converted his screamer into a goal two minutes before halftime, they led by a point.

From there, you got the feeling the Tigers were not going to lose.

Richardson finished with three goals without a miss and even spent time across half-back, frustrating Port and spearing 50m passes to teammates.

"In recent history, we certainly wouldn't have fought back from that sort of deficit early," Richardson said.

"Probably about 10 minutes into the second quarter, our pressure got us into the game.

"They kept us in it a bit – they missed a few goals; which is probably lucky for us. We knew we had to pressure them. You can't let them run around free or else they'll slice you up."

Former teammate Brendon Gale addressed the Tigers before the game. Another ex-teammate Matthew Rogers and his mentor, premiership player Mike Perry, were close by.

But despite the occasion, the Tigers were flat early. At times it was ridiculously easy for Port, which conceivably could have burst to an eight-goal lead.

Kayne Pettifer, a hero in the second-quarter turnaround, said coach Terry Wallace had given the players a "spray" at quarter time.

"We tried to come out pumped up for Richo's 200th, but we came out flat-footed," Pettifer said.

"In the first quarter we just didn't use the ball well and after the break we started using it.

"We all love the big fella and it was great to win for him. Unfortunately, we couldn't do it for `Gas' last week."

Pettifer laid a game-turning tackle as the momentum switched, again against Thurstans.

"I had him and I didn't think the ump was going to blow the whistle. I eventually got it. I had his arms pinned, he was pretty stiff," Pettifer said.

Thurstans spent much of his time hanging back in front of Richardson, but in the end Port could do little to stop the momentum.

Wallace had a knack of getting the Bulldogs up for milestone games and it was no different yesterday.

"It was wonderful for the club. He had a lot of his ex-teammates in the rooms before the game," Wallace said.

"We didn't burst the doors down and play that sort of footy straight away, but it was really pleasing to get the result.

"I always enjoy a bloke on his milestone doing it himself, not just relying on the others to do it, and he was terrific again."

http://www.heraldsun.news.com.au/footy/common/story_page/0,8033,15146104%255E19771,00.html

Offline Cain

• Future Richmond star
« Reply #18 on: May 02, 2005, 09:33:14 AM »
RICHO - Thanks mate !
If a person with multiple personalities threatens suicide, is that considered a hostage situation?

Offline Tiger Spirit

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #19 on: May 03, 2005, 01:24:03 PM »

Seems like you got your wish bg25.  Would’ve been good to be there.  Have hardly missed any games played in Melbourne the last 9 or so years and I had to miss that one.

Even though the crowd involvement doesn’t always translate that well on tv, watching the replay, and from what everyone’s been saying, seems like the crowd really got involved and enjoyed the game, especially when we started to get back into the game and then got on a roll.
Everything that is done in this world is done by hope.  --Martin Luther

The time you enjoy wasting isn’t wasted time.

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
« Reply #20 on: May 03, 2005, 05:09:02 PM »

Seems like you got your wish bg25.  Would’ve been good to be there.  Have hardly missed any games played in Melbourne the last 9 or so years and I had to miss that one.

Even though the crowd involvement doesn’t always translate that well on tv, watching the replay, and from what everyone’s been saying, seems like the crowd really got involved and enjoyed the game, especially when we started to get back into the game and then got on a roll.

About 10-15 mins before the game it didn't look like we would reach even 15,000 but quickly got to over 21,000 which was 6,000 more than the only other time we've played Port at Docklands. So although a smallish crowd by Tiger standards not unexpected. If the game was at the 'G we would have got another 5,000 easily on top of that.

A great crowd to be part of who got louder and louder with each goal of our comeback. Everyone was into the game by then it was that exciting to watch. As we all know when you're at the game you see if the boys are working and running for each other and can see the play unfolding before it happens. The standard of footy of the last 10mins of the 2nd quarter was high quality with tackle after tackle. Great stuff!   

Best part was when the game was in safe keeping and Richo was roaming all of the ground picking off easy possessions. The "Rich..oooo!" chant went up everytime he touched the ball  :bow.
All you touch and all you see is all your life will ever be - Pink Floyd

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
Wallace asks: Where were the fans?
« Reply #21 on: May 03, 2005, 07:02:03 PM »
Wallace asks: Where were the fans?
4:19:52 PM Tue 3 May, 2005
Jen Witham
Sportal for afl.com.au

Richmond coach Terry Wallace has had a gentle dig at the tens of thousands of Tigers supporters who failed to front for Matthew Richardson's 200th game and who missed out on the outstanding victory over reigning premiers Port Adelaide at Telstra Dome last Sunday.

Wallace couldn't hide his disappointment at the attendance figure of 21,301, and can't fathom why there wasn’t a bigger turnout.

"I was really disappointed with the crowd. I wasn’t disappointed with those who were there, I think they made a heck of a lot of noise for Richo's 200th game, I thought they were fantastic," he said.

"But I would have expected more than (21,301) at the venue for Richo's big day, so we were probably disappointed from that aspect and so it wasn't as big a build up.

"For some reason, people didn’t come and didn’t front up to the match, maybe that was the manner in which we played the week before, I don’t know."

Wallace sees as disappointing is the fickleness shown by the supporters - but he does realise, with the club's 2004 performance, that their apprehension is justified.

"I think at the moment, because where we have been as a club, we're inclined to get a few fair-weathers at the moment, who will jump on if its going alright, and jump off if its not going so well," he said.

"I think we need the support and the rest will come along, but unfortunately people will make the decisions by walking though the turnstiles or not."

Wallace said he expected the Tiger Army to be out in force for Saturday's clash against Carlton at the MCG.

Meanwhile, Wallace has played down the notion of a premiership hangover, suggesting that Port Adelaide's poor run has more to do with a shortage of quality players.

"Just that they haven't got the same personnel on the park, that's the main thing," Wallace simplified.

"You lose a player the quality of Nick Stevens 18 months ago, you multiply that and lose Josh Carr, take Roger James out of your line up, and you play two midfielders who have missed 18 months of football.

"That just changes the whole of the side, and I think most of us sort of say it is midfield dominance that sets up games."

Wallace acknowledged that in facing a vulnerable Port side last Sunday, Richmond had been granted a rare opportunity, and he was pleased his players were able to take it.

"We were very happy to be getting them at the time we got them, we were aware there were opportunities there, and we hadn't beaten them for seven years," he said.

"There was an opportunity, and it was just whether we could take up that opportunity. The way we went about in the first quarter, I didn’t think we were going to be taking up any opportunity at all."

http://richmondfc.com.au/default.asp?pg=news&spg=display&articleid=200318

Offline julzqld

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #22 on: May 04, 2005, 08:48:37 PM »
A lot of noise coming from our direction. :thumbsup