Author Topic: Richmond ressies/VFL side [merged]  (Read 430353 times)

Offline Diocletian

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Proud Gang of Four member #albomustgo
Re: RFC to go it alone at VFL Level in 2014
« Reply #495 on: December 09, 2013, 10:13:41 PM »
‏@rhettrospective - "Surely we can call our @RichmondVFL side 'The Cubs', like the old days."

‏@RichmondVFL - "it was discussed"

Thought it was mainly the old U'19's side that used to be called "The Cubs"?

Either way, not sure many of the older players in our current VFL side would entirely appreciate being known as "cubs".

"Tradition is not the worship of ashes, but the preservation of fire." 

- Gustav Mahler

FJ is the only one that makes sense.

Offline Judge Roughneck

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Sir
« Reply #496 on: December 09, 2013, 10:18:41 PM »
Very happy to not see Coburg hacks in the future

the claw

« Reply #497 on: December 09, 2013, 10:26:31 PM »
The idea of having our own reserves is for the development of players already on our list and that will be the main focus of the list assembled.

We would have little to gain in taking young players that we have no hold over and developing them.
totally disagree. what is wrong with putting say 21 thru 25 yr olds into our team and have a good look at em get to know em. wasnt  the psd about that but over a much shorter period. what an opportunity to actually hide a player as well. there are plenty who have performed admirably at the lower levels and we chose to ignore em.
ffs why so many veterans. why so few under 24.

Offline Judge Roughneck

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Sir
« Reply #498 on: December 09, 2013, 11:27:41 PM »
man - i agree with most of what u say but this ones if off the rails

you gotta give the hot chocolates a rest

otally disagree. what is wrong with putting say 21 thru 25 yr olds into our team and have a good look at em get to know em

cause

a) footballer generally peaks 26-28
b) there is not value in developing players we have no 'ownership' of. ie. there is not method or system in that we have more a prioty of signing said 21-25 year old, than anyone else. To clarify, if we sign a 21 year old and he cuts sick in the vfl we have a one in eighteen chance of drafting him at seasons end. (currently, maybe vlad will fart some new rules)
c) everyone else. is going to be having as a good a look as we are. its 2014 mate.

get to know em.

whats the point of buying a lass and flowers and a gin a tonic if u got no more chance than the rest of the bar :huh

wasnt  the psd about that but over a much shorter period.

my understanding is the psd is a very strange secondary national draft, to go thou the dregs of the national draft proper and take a player you feel is worthy on the senior list ahead of the rookie draft. there is not more chance of drafting a vfl aligned  player than anyone else (the other 17 clubs) via the PSD.

what an opportunity to actually hide a player as well.

you are dreaming

you cannot expect a guy to get 'best of grounds' in the vfl yet escape the attentions of rival afl clubs

almost as deluded as an essendon fan

. there are plenty who have performed admirably at the lower levels and we chose to ignore em.

perhaps, but this comment is unrelated to the topic at hand

a) cause a 28 or 30 year old who has seen it before will, hopfully, be the perfect foil for out senior listed 18-19-20 year old types who we hold ambition will be bondified solid afl players in the future. They will hopfully help them learn and develop, while also being a mature body which is important in football when you have a young team.

b) there is no bonus points for having young vfl listed players. we have no more a chance than anyone else of getting them on our list proper as it stands.
« Last Edit: December 10, 2013, 01:51:57 AM by one-eyed »

Offline Penelope

• Internet nuffer and sooky jellyfish
  • RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #499 on: December 09, 2013, 11:32:56 PM »
The idea of having our own reserves is for the development of players already on our list and that will be the main focus of the list assembled.

We would have little to gain in taking young players that we have no hold over and developing them.
totally disagree. what is wrong with putting say 21 thru 25 yr olds into our team and have a good look at em get to know em. wasnt  the psd about that but over a much shorter period. what an opportunity to actually hide a player as well. there are plenty who have performed admirably at the lower levels and we chose to ignore em.
a small number for balance yeah, but why put a lot of resources into players for other clubs to take from under our noses?
perfect opportunity to hide them?
LMAO are we going to make the good ones wear groucho marx masks when they play so no one recognises them? ask that games are played under the same conditions as closed barrier trials?

why so many veterans? pretty obvious really. to provide leadership for our own young players.

The whole point of having our own vfl side is for development of our listed players. That is what the team make up is primarily geared towards.

But seems as you totally disagree, what do you think the main objective of having our own VFL side is?
“For My thoughts are not your thoughts,
Nor are your ways my ways,” says the Lord.

“For as the heavens are higher than the earth,
So are my ways higher than your ways,
And my thoughts than your thoughts."

Yahweh? or the great Clawski?

yaw rehto eht dellorcs ti fi daer ot reisae eb dluow tI

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #500 on: December 10, 2013, 01:32:48 AM »
@RichmondVFL - The boys just before they hit the track [last] night ...

https://twitter.com/RichmondVFL/status/409949565333172225/photo/1/large

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #501 on: December 10, 2013, 01:42:12 AM »
VIDEO: The VFL team launch ...

http://www.richmondfc.com.au/video/2013-12-09/vfl-launch

--------------------------------------------------------------------

One great club, two teams
richmondfc.com.au 
December 9, 2013

“We have recruited 21 players to be part of our Club.  Not like in previous years, where our players on Richmond’s list who haven’t made the senior team go and play elsewhere, for Coburg,” Tim Clarke said.

“The 21 players are VFL ready, and are of outstanding character, and that was the first thing we looked for.

“The players can help support and mentor, not only our AFL-listed players, but also the younger VFL players that we’ve got.”

Read more and the full article at: http://www.richmondfc.com.au/news/2013-12-09/one-great-club-two-teams

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
Tigers baulk at Wonaeamirri's NT transfer fee (afl site)
« Reply #502 on: December 10, 2013, 01:43:51 AM »
Tigers baulk at Wonaeamirri's NT transfer fee

Nathan Schmook 
afl.com.au
December 9, 2013 8:00 PM

RICHMOND'S push to sign former Melbourne forward Austin Wonaeamirri to its VFL team has been scuttled by Northern Territory Thunder's demand for a $10,000 transfer fee. 

Wonaeamirri, who played 31 games for the Demons between 2008-11, is hoping to revive his AFL career and had decided his best chance of doing so was with the Tigers' new standalone team in 2014.

The Thunder, however, insisted on the $10,000 transfer fee, which Richmond decided it was not in a position to pay.

Wonaeamirri is currently out of contract, but a transfer fee is payable for any player who has been registered with the Thunder in the past 24 months, should they move to a tier one league outside the Northern Territory.

The 25-year-old was told at the weekend his move to the Tigers would not be possible and he is now likely to re-sign with the Thunder and continue working towards a second AFL chance.

He is currently playing with the Tiwi Bombers in the NTFL over the off-season and is likely to join the Thunder for their first training session under new coach Xavier Clarke on Wednesday.

Bombers club development manager Peter Atkinson said Wonaeamirri had been excited about the prospect of reuniting with former Melbourne teammate Aaron Davey at Punt Road.

"He felt an involvement with an AFL club, albeit through a VFL team, was a better way to get another chance at AFL level," Atkinson told AFL.com.au. 

"He understands the financial issue for Richmond, so it's disappointing for him that he doesn't have a choice.

"What he's being told up here is that he can still achieve the AFL dream playing with NT Thunder, but recent stats suggests it will be more difficult.

"We just feel that it's probably restricted Austin a little bit more than it should."

Wonaeamirri was recruited by Melbourne with pick No.19 in the 2008 NAB AFL Rookie Draft, earning a Rising Star nomination in his debut season.

A livewire forward who was restricted by injury, he kicked 37 goals in 31 games before he was delisted at the end of the 2011 season, returning to the Northern Territory where he signed with the Thunder.

He currently works as a mentor at Tiwi College.

http://www.afl.com.au/news/2013-12-09/wonaeamirri-no-tiger

Offline Judge Roughneck

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Sir
« Reply #503 on: December 10, 2013, 01:48:30 AM »
Austin is a good kid but lol @ 10k

stick it up ya
« Last Edit: December 10, 2013, 01:52:45 AM by one-eyed »

Offline WilliamPowell

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Better to ignore a fool than encourage one
    • One Eyed Richmond
« Reply #504 on: December 10, 2013, 07:07:31 AM »

That's the rule, that is the minimum fee

Transfer fees are payable between 2nd tier competitions clubs when players change clubs.
"Oh yes I am a dreamer, I still see us flying high!"

from the song "Don't Walk Away" by Pat Benatar 1988 (Wide Awake In Dreamland)

Offline JVT

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #505 on: December 10, 2013, 08:29:26 AM »

Transfer fees are payable between 2nd tier competitions clubs when players change clubs.
Unfair on Austin unfortunately.

Offline Penelope

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #506 on: December 10, 2013, 09:00:41 AM »

are you sure thats the minimum fee?

all i read is that a fee has to be paid.

Offline WilliamPowell

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Better to ignore a fool than encourage one
    • One Eyed Richmond
« Reply #507 on: December 10, 2013, 09:06:26 AM »
are you sure thats the minimum fee?

all i read is that a fee has to be paid.

Yep pretty sure it still is, certainly was a couple of years ago. Though occassionally clubs would negotiate and reduce it.

It is the reason why some VFL clubs have in the past been happy to let senior players move to the SANFL or WAFL because of the transfer fees they received, great little money spinner

The fee is less for kids out of the TAC Cup

"Oh yes I am a dreamer, I still see us flying high!"

from the song "Don't Walk Away" by Pat Benatar 1988 (Wide Awake In Dreamland)

Offline Penelope

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #508 on: December 10, 2013, 09:19:41 AM »
id be surprised if thats the case.
There is a maximum fee of 15k for the first year, so to then to have a minimum only 5k less would be odd.

10k would be an exorbitant amount for a fringe player and would hinder players struggling for a game to seek better opportunities elsewhere.

Offline Penelope

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #509 on: December 10, 2013, 09:29:22 AM »
actually, thee maximum fee is the lesser of 15k or the valueof the contract. so if the player was on a contract less than 10k, then the transfer fee would be less than 10k