Author Topic: Tigers in stunning win over Port  (Read 2555 times)

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
Tigers in stunning win over Port
« on: May 01, 2005, 08:14:57 PM »
Tigers in stunning win over Port
4:51:49 PM Sun 1 May, 2005
Paul Gough
Exclusive to afl.com.au

Port Adelaide's AFL premiership defence is in tatters after the Power threw a five-goal lead to capitulate to last year's wooden spooners Richmond at Telstra Dome on Sunday as the Tigers celebrated Matthew Richardson's 200th game in style.

The Power incredibly did not kick a goal between the 10-minute mark of the second quarter and the nine-minute mark of the final term - during which time Richmond piled on an astonishing 13 unanswered goals in their best performance since 2001 to win 19.9 (123) to 9.13 (67).

After failing against two of last year's preliminary finalists in St Kilda and Geelong already this season, Terry Wallace's new look team proved beyond doubt on Sunday that they are a much-improved side in 2005 and one definitely capable of playing in the finals.

Richmond has now won four of its first six matches after earlier wins against lesser-rated trio Hawthorn, the Bulldogs and Fremantle and now finds itself two-and-a-half games better placed than Port Adelaide - a team which last year won 13 more games than the Tigers.

But that is a sign of just how much Port has declined so far in 2005 as the Power was destroyed not just by Richardson on Sunday - as the big Tiger hero took one of the marks of the year and booted three goals in his milestone game - but by the small forward duo of Nathan Brown and Kayne Pettifer.

Brown booted a match-winning six goals while Pettifer, for so long the most maligned player on the Tigers' list - booted four goals in his best performance of a stop-start 43-game career over the past five years.

However when the game got underway it appeared as though the reigning premiers were going to coast to victory against a Richmond side that strangely started the match with little passion given it was Richardson's milestone game.

The Power totally dominated the opening quarter as Richmond struggled to even get the ball inside its forward 50 and a 20-point lead at quarter-time was little reward for Port's dominance.

They were not helped by poor kicking for goal with skipper Matthew Primus missing two easy set shots in the opening term.

The pattern continued at the start of the second term as Richmond fans grew impatient with their team's poor performance with Troy Simmonds getting the bronx cheers when he took a mark after having dropped a sitter right on the quarter-time siren.
However Port continued to waste chances in front of goal and played as if it thought it was going to cruise to victory against a Richmond side that to that stage of the game looked as if it had not come to play.

And when Michael Pettigrew ran into the easiest of goals at the 10-minute mark Port was 26 points up although it should have been eight goals such had been its dominance.

But inspired by Shane Tuck the Tigers suddenly lifted their intensity and the reigning premier simply could not cope.

The Tigers' onslaught began when Port veteran Gavin Wanganeen was caught in possession - leading to a goal to Brown at the 15-minute mark - and when Richardson passed to Tuck for a goal a few minutes later the comeback was on.

Pettifer then kicked two goals, one coming from an inspirational tackle on the much bigger Toby Thurstans which seemed to lift the entire Richmond side, and when Richardson took a screamer over Thurstans right before half-time and goaled the Tigers went to half-time two points up.

But surely Port would steady at half-time!

However it didn't happen and unbelievably the Tigers' dominance continued in the third quarter as they piled on six goals to nil with Port playing indirect, hesitant football as the Tigers - with Joel Bowden and Mark Coughlan providing great drive in the midfield along with the much-improved Tuck- ensuring that the Tigers' forwards had plenty of chances.

And the few times the ball did get into the Port forward line the Power's star forward Warren Tredrea found himself continually outnumbered by Darren Gaspar, Ray Hall and Andrew Kellaway, who all were superb as Richmond and Richardson - who left the field to a standing ovation late in the game - celebrated one of the Tigers' best wins for years.

RICHMOND: 1.2, 7.4, 13.7, 19.9 (123)
PORT ADELAIDE: 4.4, 6.8, 6.10, 9.13 (67)

GOALS – Richmond: Brown 6, Pettifer 4, Richardson 3, Stafford 2, Tuck, Coughlan, Simmonds, Kellaway Port Adelaide: Tredrea 2, Lade 2, K.Cornes, Pettigrew, Burgoyne, Wanganeen, Primus

BEST – Richmond: Brown, Tuck, Pettifer, Richardson, Bowden, Coughlan, Gaspar Port Adelaide: Burgoyne, Cornes, Wanganeen, Francou

REPORTS - nil

UMPIRES - Ellis, Hendrie, Ryan

CROWD - 21,301 at Telstra Dome

http://richmondfc.com.au/default.asp?pg=news&spg=display&articleid=199753
All you touch and all you see is all your life will ever be - Pink Floyd

2JD

Re: Tigers in stunning win over Port
« Reply #1 on: May 01, 2005, 08:37:36 PM »
I'm just so stoked!!!!!! ;D great seats great day grrrreat win. Ya gotta love em!!! :cheers

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
« Reply #2 on: May 01, 2005, 08:46:19 PM »
We should have been down by 7 goals at quarter time but luckily Port missed gettable goals. Played like Spud was coaching - no passion, unaccountable and shoking skills  :banghead. As the start of the second quarter was heading the same I was going here we go again!  :scream.

But amazingly, thanks mainly to Tuck who set the example by winning a couple of  outnumbered contests in a row, we slowly lifted as a team all over the ground, showed some passion and started to fight for the ball. Once we kicked two goals in a row we lifted in confidence and intensity with each goal and blew Port away with 13 straight  :o. Simmonds went into the ruck and dominated. Tuck and Cogs won the clearances which allowed our other onballers to run in waves and link with handball or short kicks through the midfield. Browny, Pettifer and our big blokes - Richo, Staff just did as they please. The pressure from the midfield forced Port wide and indirect and Gas, Hall and Kellaway just mopped up shutting out Tredrea.    

We still are the dumbest footy team. At times we are too slow moving the ball on (took us a quarter and a half to learn that switching the play was actually a good idea  ::) ). The needless lairising and overpossessing that leads to turnovers drives you mad  :banghead. Until we cut this crap out of a game we won't even get near the top sides.

Blues and Pies next two weeks. Big crowds and a chance to go 6-2  :thumbsup.

Offline Mopsy

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Once a Tiger always a Tiger
« Reply #3 on: May 01, 2005, 09:02:36 PM »

We still are the dumbest footy team. At times we are too slow moving the ball on (took us a quarter and a half to learn that switching the play was actually a good idea  ::) ). The needless lairising and overpossessing that leads to turnovers drives you mad  :banghead. Until we cut this crap out of a game we won't even get near the top sides.

Let's hope TW and crew cut that rubbish out of the team and get them right on track

Offline DallasCrane

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • roll on 2011
« Reply #4 on: May 01, 2005, 09:33:39 PM »

BEST – Richmond: Brown, Tuck, Pettifer, Richardson, Bowden, Coughlan, Gaspar

I thought Tivendale was in our best 6 today.

Where is everyone who has bagged Tivendale? You would have to admit he played well today!
Experience is a good school. But the fees are high.
Heinrich Heine

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
« Reply #5 on: May 01, 2005, 10:29:18 PM »

BEST – Richmond: Brown, Tuck, Pettifer, Richardson, Bowden, Coughlan, Gaspar

I thought Tivendale was in our best 6 today.

Where is everyone who has bagged Tivendale? You would have to admit he played well today!

Yep DC I'll be the first to say his best game by far since 2003. At least on a couple occasions he won some contested footy then left his opponent in their tracks. I wouldn't say he was ahead of those 6  above but would be the next one named IMO.

It was a hard game to judge as Port dominated for a quarter and 10 minutes then we dominated for the rest of the game. Tiv's problem is he has no right foot and when he's pressured he needs to stop and arc back to get on his preferred left. As we were dominating he had plenty of space today in the main to swing on his left. We also once we got our running game going used swift handballs to link up which helped Tivs game no end when he was on his wrong side.

Offline om21

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Original Melbourne 21
    • Original Melbourne 21
« Reply #6 on: May 02, 2005, 09:38:04 AM »
DC....one game doesnt mean everyone was wrong about Tivs. Geez even Ray Hall took 3 MARKS today!!! By your theory we would sign him to a new 5-year deal after that!!!!

The ability to do such things week after week is the acid test. Tivs will acheive nothing if he comes out and turns it over and has a poor game against Carlton this week.

However, most players performed their role perfectly yday from the 18th minute mark of the second quarter onwards.
Den uparxei Ellada xwris AEK.

Finally our new webage: http://www.original21.com/melbourne

Ox

« Reply #7 on: May 02, 2005, 11:04:21 AM »
Cant wait to watch the game vis AFL webbie tonight.

Looking forward to seeing my boy (Tuck) play  :thumbsup

Offline WilliamPowell

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Better to ignore a fool than encourage one
    • One Eyed Richmond
« Reply #8 on: May 02, 2005, 12:45:37 PM »

But amazingly, thanks mainly to Tuck who set the example by winning a couple of  outnumbered contests in a row, we slowly lifted as a team all over the ground, showed some passion and started to fight for the ball.

Tuck's efforts in 2nd quarter were sensational.

His fighting qualities were typified when right of front of me against 3-4 Port blokes he didn't give and fought for the ball and ended up with a free kick for holding the man (why the stupid Port bloke grabbed him I'll never know ;D) - it was those sort of efforts that lifted the side. He got and deserved a standing ovation

Inspiring stuff from a quality young man :bow :thumbsup It's stuff like that I just love seeing.

Once we kicked two goals in a row we lifted in confidence and intensity with each goal and blew Port away with 13 straight  :o. Simmonds went into the ruck and dominated. Tuck and Cogs won the clearances which allowed our other onballers to run in waves and link with handball or short kicks through the midfield. Browny, Pettifer and our big blokes - Richo, Staff just did as they please. The pressure from the midfield forced Port wide and indirect and Gas, Hall and Kellaway just mopped up shutting out Tredrea.    

Everyone lifted - it was awesome, hell even the usual suspects started hitting targets.

I thoguht Simmonds had his best game once he went into the ruck.

You know you're having a good day when Chubba Kellaway is kicking bananna kicks at goal and scoring, Ray Hall is taking screamers and then hitting a target  :rollin

"Oh yes I am a dreamer, I still see us flying high!"

from the song "Don't Walk Away" by Pat Benatar 1988 (Wide Awake In Dreamland)

Offline DallasCrane

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • roll on 2011
« Reply #9 on: May 02, 2005, 09:22:35 PM »
DC....one game doesnt mean everyone was wrong about Tivs. Geez even Ray Hall took 3 MARKS today!!! By your theory we would sign him to a new 5-year deal after that!!!!

:)
Had to laugh, because yesterday, after a certain dropped mark in the forward pocket, right in front of me, I was (in my mind) the President of the No More 5 year Contracts fan club. If you know what I mean.
Experience is a good school. But the fees are high.
Heinrich Heine

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
« Reply #10 on: May 03, 2005, 05:44:30 AM »
You know you're having a good day when Chubba Kellaway is kicking bananna kicks at goal and scoring, Ray Hall is taking screamers and then hitting a target  :rollin

All of Razor's marks were basically arms outstretched above his head. He either forgot he was Ray Hall or it must have been the caffeine lol. 

Offline om21

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Original Melbourne 21
    • Original Melbourne 21
« Reply #11 on: May 03, 2005, 09:02:14 AM »

:)
Had to laugh, because yesterday, after a certain dropped mark in the forward pocket, right in front of me, I was (in my mind) the President of the No More 5 year Contracts fan club. If you know what I mean.

HA! I think I became the Vice-President of that club at the same time....then I quit and become Tresurer of the MORE 5-Year contract fan club as Snake just went silly!  :lol :lol
Den uparxei Ellada xwris AEK.

Finally our new webage: http://www.original21.com/melbourne