Author Topic: Where is Simmonds best position?  (Read 1346 times)

Bulluss

Where is Simmonds best position?
« on: May 01, 2005, 09:02:57 PM »
I was actually going to post before todays game in the post about Simmonds neading to prove a point that i think he may need to have a game in the ruck to get involved in contests and hopefully get his confidence back.

After todays great win, it has left a question in regards to the position that we play Simmonds.

I thought that he dominated in the ruck and around the ground once he was moved onto the ball. His tap work in the centre was fantastic and he hit our players many times from centre bounces.

Knobel has been giving us pretty good service also in the ruck but maybe its time for Simmonds to play a more significant role around the ground. Once Shultz is back firing, he can comeback in as a forward and Knobel can go from the ruck to the bench with Staff coming on up forward once Simmonds moves into the ruck.

That would give us Richo, Shultz and Simmonds while Knobel is in the ruck and;

Richo, Shultz and Staff while Simmonds is in the ruck.

I know this maybe be a little premature after one good game by Simmonds in the ruck, but i think he prefers the freedom to run around on the ball.

Offline DallasCrane

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • roll on 2011
Re: Where is Simmonds best position?
« Reply #1 on: May 01, 2005, 09:23:15 PM »
While Simmonds was very good in the ruck today, I think we need him more as a marking forward. We've already got good tap ruckman with Knobel and Staff. But he does look fit enough to run all day that's for sure.

Am I right in saying that Wallace had both Staff and Knobel on the bench at the same time in the 3rd??  that was interesting....Deledio, Pettifer, Tuck and more were running amok at the time too.

I reckon Shulty would struggle to get in the side at the moment, one of either Staff or Knobel would have to make way and despite Staff's quiet game today you couldn't drop either of them.
Experience is a good school. But the fees are high.
Heinrich Heine

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
« Reply #2 on: May 01, 2005, 09:55:19 PM »
Yeah Simmonds came to Richmond to spend more time in the ruck so I think he prefers it. He's had small stints there in every game but nothing to crow about. Today he was against Primus and Lade who aren't that mobile and rely more on outmuscling their opponent. The new ruck rules have also limited Primus' influence. Simmonds just outjumped them everytime.

I like the idea we can rotate 3 ruckman through midfield, forward line and bench. We were just too big and tall for Port today. I think the way Simmonds played today where he was mainly a around the ground ruckman who can push forward is the best role for him (provided he plays near to the standard he showed today).
All you touch and all you see is all your life will ever be - Pink Floyd

Offline om21

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Original Melbourne 21
    • Original Melbourne 21
« Reply #3 on: May 02, 2005, 09:34:07 AM »
I think he is better as a ruckman. I look at it in the following way:

+ Staff doesnt have the endurance to play as a ruckman for long periods
+ Staff is a better kick for goal
+ Knobel doesnt do enough around the ground

There is no reason why we cant rotate but Staff as a forward with Snake in the ruck using Knobel as the rotator would suit us best.
Den uparxei Ellada xwris AEK.

Finally our new webage: http://www.original21.com/melbourne

letsgetiton!

« Reply #4 on: May 02, 2005, 09:41:44 AM »
I think he is better as a ruckman. I look at it in the following way:

+ Staff doesnt have the endurance to play as a ruckman for long periods
+ Staff is a better kick for goal
+ Knobel doesnt do enough around the ground

There is no reason why we cant rotate but Staff as a forward with Snake in the ruck using Knobel as the rotator would suit us best.
i totally agree , simmonds in the ruck but rotataing as a fwd, when snake goes fwd, staff can ruck and knobel can rest on the pine

Ox

« Reply #5 on: May 02, 2005, 11:02:06 AM »
Ruck.