Author Topic: The captaincy requiring the chosen to wear No 17.  (Read 4102 times)

Offline unplugged

• Premiership Captain
  • For We're From Tigerland
Re: The captaincy requiring the chosen to wear No 17.
« Reply #45 on: August 15, 2012, 10:49:54 AM »
Never liked the idea of making 17 the captains number.  If a player like Cotchin establishes himself as a champion wearing no 9.  I would rather see him wear it until his career finishes. 

They should reserve no 17 to a quality developing ruckman.  Given our current list, Maric would have looked good in it when he came across.  Would have been a real incentive to come play for Richmond as a Ruck.

Offline JVT

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #46 on: August 15, 2012, 11:19:14 AM »
Never liked the idea of making 17 the captains number.  If a player like Cotchin establishes himself as a champion wearing no 9.  I would rather see him wear it until his career finishes. 

They should reserve no 17 to a quality developing ruckman.  Given our current list, Maric would have looked good in it when he came across.  Would have been a real incentive to come play for Richmond as a Ruck.
Wouldn't mind Maric in the 17 tbh.

Offline Smokey

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #47 on: August 15, 2012, 08:11:41 PM »

Would you have given it to Maric before he played a game or only in hindsight now that he has exceeded everyone's expectations?  Using your criteria, should we have given the number to Graham when he first started?  Or do we wait until they show a bit and then give it to them, making it impossible for an up and coming champion ruckman to keep his number in the same way you have set aside for Cotchin?  Incentive to come from another club and play for Richmond?  Pffft.

Offline Yeahright

• RFC Hall of Fame

Offline yellowandback

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #49 on: August 17, 2012, 08:03:39 PM »

I like this abstract thinking. We could make each number represent a recruiting target:-
No 1 for players who mark crunch balls
No 2 for money hungry defenders that can't kick
No 3 for loyal servants who can't kick
No 4 for insomniacs
Etc etc
It's that simple Spud
"I discussed (it) with my three daughters, my wife and my 82-year-old mum, because it has really affected me … If those comments … were made about one of my daughters, it would make the hairs on the back of my neck stand up. I would not have liked it at all.”

Hellenic Tiger

« Reply #50 on: August 17, 2012, 08:17:36 PM »

Would you have given it to Maric before he played a game or only in hindsight now that he has exceeded everyone's expectations?  Using your criteria, should we have given the number to Graham when he first started?  Or do we wait until they show a bit and then give it to them, making it impossible for an up and coming champion ruckman to keep his number in the same way you have set aside for Cotchin?  Incentive to come from another club and play for Richmond?  Pffft.

All players tend to have high numbers especially in Dimma's tenure when they get drafted.
Need to show something before they are offered a lower jumper. No point giving a low number or something as revered as the number 17 to a bloke who after four years may be delisted. Let him earn it and let the club show how much Jack Dyer's number means to it and educate the players on it and our history and maybe then maybe those who come to the club may show a little more respect to the club and guernsey rather than thinking of the RFC as a cash cow to their lives and the aura of having a footy career.

Hellenic Tiger

« Reply #51 on: August 17, 2012, 08:19:39 PM »

I like this abstract thinking. We could make each number represent a recruiting target:-
No 1 for players who mark crunch balls
No 2 for money hungry defenders that can't kick
No 3 for loyal servants who can't kick
No 4 for insomniacs
Etc etc

:thumbsup

Number 5 for blokes who get caught drink driving and when the coach comes to bail them out the player says did you get done for drink driving too Spud.

Offline Tigeritis™©®

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Richmond, Premiers 2017.2019.2020
« Reply #52 on: August 17, 2012, 09:09:51 PM »
I like the idea of the captain wearing #17 but in Cotch's case if he were made captain I'd like him to keep the #9 and make it his own throughout the career. If the current crop goes onto win a flag or five  ;) then Cotch (barring serious injury) will go down in the Club's history as up there with Dyer, KB (#29), Hart (#4) and Bourke (#30). He's a once in a generation type footballer.
Top thoughts MT  :thumbsup
Totally agree.
The club that keeps giving.

Offline Smokey

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #53 on: August 18, 2012, 09:00:57 AM »
Actually, thinking it over probably the best way to go (and this will certainly highlight what the players think of the 'tradition') would be to give the new captain the option of keeping his present number or taking #17.  If he keeps his own number then #17 gets mothballed until the next change of leadership.  Given the option, I have a feeling most players would take the #17.

Offline jordie2tivendale

• Premiership Captain
  • For We're From Tigerland
« Reply #54 on: August 18, 2012, 02:18:29 PM »
When the other players walk out of the race behind the 17 in the sunshine and fans i would be pretty keen to get my hands on that number if i was a player

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #55 on: September 02, 2012, 08:15:29 PM »
Thoughts now about this now that Newy has stepped down as captain?

Should Cotch, if he gets the gig as expected, switch from his #9 to the #17 next year?

Offline Eat_em_Alive

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #56 on: September 02, 2012, 08:33:41 PM »
No, let him write his own destiny in the #9
Temp retire the #17
The anywhere, anytime Tigers.
E A T  E M  A L I V E  M O F O S

Online Damo

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Member of famed “Gang Of Four”. Ground the airbus!
« Reply #57 on: September 02, 2012, 08:54:35 PM »
Let cotch decide

dwaino

« Reply #58 on: September 02, 2012, 09:18:08 PM »
I'm a sucker for tradition. IMO if Cotch wears 17 it will only make the number even more coveted and in the future we will never have this discussion again. I'm also a fan of retiring numbers like in the hockey and stuff, but retiring 17 after Newman is pretty rich.

Hellenic Tiger

« Reply #59 on: September 02, 2012, 09:42:22 PM »
I'm a sucker for tradition. IMO if Cotch wears 17 it will only make the number even more coveted and in the future we will never have this discussion again. I'm also a fan of retiring numbers like in the hockey and stuff, but retiring 17 after Newman is pretty rich.

Exactly Campbell Johnson Newman let Cotch make the number 17 feared and revealed once again at Tigerland. Respect and tradition that binds the modern era to the man who epitomizes Richmond. :thumbsup