Author Topic: Tiger chief Brendon Gale wants AFL to come clean on free agency compo (H-Sun)  (Read 1703 times)

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
Richmond chief Brendon Gale wants AFL to come clean on free agency compensation formula
Herald-Sun
September 10, 2015

RICHMOND chief executive Brendon Gale believes there needs to be more light shed on the criteria for compensation picks, saying the current system isn’t running as was initially intended.

League football operations boss Mark Evans said this week that the formula used to determine a club’s eligibility for a free agency compensation pick is “complex”, with the AFL declining to make its compensation guidelines public.

Gale said transparency is a non-negotiable.

“One of the shortcomings of the model is that it doesn’t lend itself to transparency,” he said on SEN.

“The original model (for free agency) that was put forward by the players’ association when I was involved was that there would be no compensation. At all.

“It was very clear and open and transparent and the compensation that a club would get for losing a player would be a spot on their list and the salary cap space to go and secure another player.

“The lack of transparency around the compensatory formula ... it doesn’t inform the public and it would increasingly seem to frustrate clubs, so it’s a bit of an issue, that’s for sure.”

“The AFL are pretty strong and say it’s important that clubs receive compensation for losing a player, but let’s be clear — what’s the basis? What are the criteria that will apply?” he said.

“A club (needs that transparency so it) can refer to so they can have a really clear sense of what they can receive. That will form an important part of the decision making in the first place.”

The Tigers are set to face North Melbourne on Sunday in an elimination final — their third in as many seasons.

But Gale was adamant that this year won’t just be third time lucky, saying it has been earned.

“There’s not (any scars from the last two years),” he said.

“I think we’re much better (placed). To get to finals last year, we had to do something that had never been done. I think there was hysteria outside the club but internally, they were a bit tired. It was a bit of a rollercoaster.

“Right now we’re in a better spot because of our preparation, but we’re a more mature group. Our leaders have really evolved and put their imprint on the team.

“Over the course of this year, you’ve seen our leaders really stand up and win big moments, and of course those moments become quarters and quarters become games and four points add up. I reckon the leadership has really developed.

“We’re a much better team collectively and individually in the way we’re going about things.”

http://www.news.com.au/sport/afl/richmond-chief-brendon-gale-wants-afl-to-come-clean-on-free-agency-compensation-formula/story-fndv8t7m-1227521227374

Offline yandb

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • For We're From Tigerland
I don't blame the AFL for keeping the formula secret, as soon as it is public it becomes a tool to be manipulated by the clubs.

Offline Owl

• Magnificent Bastard
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Bring me TWO chickens
well it is a stuffing mysterious formula indeed, we got sweet Fanny Adams for White
Lots of people name their swords......

Offline Stalin

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Close your mouth pls, we are not a codfish
I don't blame the AFL for keeping the formula secret, as soon as it is public it becomes a tool to be manipulated by the clubs.

they just pull stuff out of bums
Then he grabbed two chopsticks and stuck them in his mouth , pretending to be a walrus

dwaino

well it is a stuffing mysterious formula indeed, we got sweet Fanny Adams for White

Has been a pretty bad trade so far. Fanny Adams still yet to play a game.

Offline Owl

• Magnificent Bastard
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Bring me TWO chickens

I know right?  She hasn't even cracked the magoos...
Lots of people name their swords......

Offline 🏅Dooks

• FOOTBALL EXPERT
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • 🏆✴✔👍⛉🌟

Of the two, Should have drafted sweet Fanny McReady IMHO.

Would have seen more action
"Sliding doors moment.
If Damian Barrett had a brain
Then its made of sh#t" Dont Argue - 2/8/2018